What's new

Best 'Starter' Handgun?

I'm a big fan of revolvers. I really don't like the heavy trigger pull of most of the semi's I've shot - especially the double-action-only Glocks. However, the smoothest shooting and most accurate semi I've ever shot was a Kimber 1911 (it had a solid barrel), it'd hold it's own with any revolver for accuracy.

For defense, I am also partial to the revolvers only because they're so simple. In a panic situation, or groggy, middle of the night, there are no safeties to navigate, no need to worry if a round is chambered, no way to push the wrong button and eject the clip... I like knowing that even my SWMBO (who this stuff is not second nature to) can grab a double action revolver in the pitch dark and just keep squeezing the trigger until it doesn't go bang any more.

Last edited:
No place up here for carry, so my thoughts are purely target oriented.

+1 or ten or whatever on the .22LR. My Ruger MkII sees me much more often than anything else.

After blowing much more dinero than I wanted on my old favourite, (Canadian made Browning Hi-Power) I got talked into trying a CZ85.

CZ85 Combat: DA/SA, stock adjustable sights (mine are also luminous), nice stock grips for big, ugly mitts. Not, I say again, not, suitable for CCW.

Both together cost me less than your projected budget. Leaves lots of room for good reliable ammo or maybe a nice Issard with a moose on it from Poulin. :biggrin:

Regards,

- John

No Pants,
On your list of Priorities, comfort must, without a doubt be #1.
If you are not 110% comfortable with the gun in your hand, you will never "get it" I can shoot just about anything(other than glocks) accurately enough for a defense situation, but my 1911, and my Baby Eagle in .45acp fit me like a glove, and will put a bullet anywhere I want them too.

So while I was a bit hasty in suggesting the 1911, it does have multiple configurations that one is bound to fit your hand perfectly.
Kimber has just about all bases covered,
Short grip short barrel.
Short grip long barrel.
Fullsize grip short barrel.
Fullsize grip, long barrel.
Polymer frame double stack(wide grip) in both short and long barrel versions.

proxy.php

I wouldn't go lighter than 9mm for a pistol and 38 Special for a revolver. Regardless of personal preference, practice is most important. No one mentioned Ruger Double Action Revolvers; why?

Well if there's one thing I know (even though I hate to admit it), Glocks are probably the most rugged semi's out there right now. They will take all kinds of abuse, misuse and neglect and keep on running.

Behind them I would put my vote in for Sig Sauer. I like their pistols a lot, as do many military agencies. For me, the Beretta 92 never felt quite "right", but YMMV and you oughta head down to your local shop to fondle a few.

In price, Glocks have Sigs beat (mostly). They're plentiful, no frills, and there are a gazillion parts available.

As for comfort, the Sig wins hands-down for me. I've shot Glock 17s, 19s, and 26. For Sigs I've shot (and own) the P228 (otherwise known as the M11), the P226, P225, P220, and P239. For me, Sigs fit better in my hand and point more naturally. The Glock's grip is unique - some love it, some hate it.

As for size, a general purpose 9mm handgun is best around a 4" barrel. If you're doing more range shooting, you can go with the 5" for added comfort/stability and if you think you might need to conceal it sometimes, you can get a 3" compact.

As for power, the 9mm is every bit as powerful as .38spl +P, but not quite as good as .357. However, with high quality ammo, the 9mm makes up a lot of this difference. The .357 is still one badass rounds though!

Aesthetics? Hands-down Sig Sauer. They don't call GLOCKS BLOCKS for nuthin'.:w00t:

Sigs are fine weapons. I don't really care for the first trigger pull, though. And yes, Glocks are a bit aesthetically challenged. I have to disagree a bit on the 9mm. I don't think it's anywhere near a Magnum. I know cops who have shot people with it, and have since switched calibers. One of our UC guys pegged a dude FOUR times, center of mass, and the guy popped right back up. He got a new gun a couple days later. A .357 likely would have had a different result. That round still has the most one-shot kills, as far as I know. 9mm sounds about right for what our OP is seeking, though.

Last edited:
I have to disagree a bit on the 9mm. I don't think it's anywhere near a Magnum.

Re-reading my post, it wasn't clear. I was trying to explain that the 9mm has an energy advantage over the 38spl +P, but not as good as the .357 magnum.

From Hornady's tables (all out of 4" barrels):

38 Spcl +P110 gr FTX Critical Defense
Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
1090fps / 290ft-lbs (at the muzzle)

9MM Luger, 124 gr. JHP/XTP
1110fps / 339ft-lbs (at the muzzle)

357 Magnum, 125gr.
1450fps / 505ft-lbs (at the muzzle)

Since my guns are modern and in good condition, they can handle +P loadings just fine. I don't feel underpowered with either .38 +P or 9mm +P, but I would feel VERY comfortable with a .357. Only problem is, you need a decent size barrel to get the most out of that cartridge (at 8" it upps the energy to 600+ft-lbs).

Just as another FYI, I carry 124gr. Speer Gold Dot 9mm +Ps in my Sigs.
1220fps / 410ft-lbs (at the muzzle)

Food for thought...

P.S. And, what the hell, let's throw the .22lr up there!
CCI Mini-Mag High Velocity, 40gr.
Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs) (at the muzzle)
1235fps / 135ft-lbs

Last edited:
...all out of 4" barrels...

Good explanation and well supported. I did want to highlight the above though. Many people carry tiny snub nosed .357s and expect the same performance from them as a full 4 or 5 inch barreled gun. It doesn't work that way. In some instances a subcompact 9mm shooting +p ammo will actually pack more punch than a similar overall sized snub nosed .357.

LawLess, stobes. Good points, gents. I agree. Ammo quality does make plenty of difference, as does barrel length. I still carry my sluggish .45's though. If they issued us quality ammo like that I'd consider carrying a 9. You just CANNOT beat the capacity. People can go on all they want about shot placement, but when the situation goes out the window, along with your fine motor control, someone's prayers are more likely to be answered before that perfect shot hits. Not that accuracy isn't important, though.

I'm a big fan of revolvers. I really don't like the heavy trigger pull of most of the semi's I've shot - especially the double-action-only Glocks. However, the smoothest shooting and most accurate semi I've ever shot was a Kimber 1911 (it had a solid barrel), it'd hold it's own with any revolver for accuracy.

For defense, I am also partial to the revolvers only because they're so simple. In a panic situation, or groggy, middle of the night, there are no safeties to navigate, no need to worry if a round is chambered, no way to push the wrong button and eject the clip... I like knowing that even my SWMBO (who this stuff is not second nature to) can grab a double action revolver in the pitch dark and just keep squeezing the trigger until it doesn't go bang any more.

Two problems I have with this here: One, a Glock is not a double action pistol. A double action entails the pull of the trigger both cocking the firing pin/hammer and releasing it to fire the weapon. Two, nor does a Glock have a safety to "navigate".

That being said, if you will be using this specific handgun for personal protection I would recommend either a Glock model 21, 21SF, or 30 depending on what feels right for you, and if you will be carrying concealed. I personally have put over thirty thousand rounds through my model 30 without a single malfunction. These are all .45 acp which will provide substantial stopping power. Finally what ever you do choose make sure you TRAIN! I cannot emphasize this enough. Carrying a handgun is an enormous responsibility/liability, and should you choose to accept said responsibility you owe it to the ones you love and the people around you to make sure you know what you are doing should you have to use your weapon in the defense of yourself or someone else. And training does not just consist of the rounds you put down range when qualifying every other year.

All of the Glocks I have shot ARE double action only. The firing pin is not pulled back to strike the hammer until the trigger is pulled. Furthermore, to explain, I was not reffering to carrying a handgun. I was refferencing the scenario of the handgun left in the nightstand or home safe or wherever.

I totally agree that anyone that is going to carry should be completely intimate with their weapon and be totally educated with every aspect of all that entails - including the intricacies of the weapon.

Glocks are neither single action, nor double action.

They are a modified striker action.

What this means is that when you pull the trigger, it is pulling back the firing pin, and when it gets to the right spot, it slips loose, and the pin flys forward.

What this means is that when you pull the trigger, it is pulling back the firing pin, and when it gets to the right spot, it slips loose, and the pin flys forward.

True, however glock claims their guns are double action

I appologize, I was under the impression that double action meant that the hammer was cocked AND released by pulling the trigger. Whatever the exact procedure, IMO the Glock still has a very heavy trigger pull.

You can't go wrong with the big dogs. Sig, H&K, Glock, Beretta, Springfield (XD series specifically) but I still argue the most important thing is to handle and "test drive" anything you think you'd consider buying.

This^ Ill add the XD to the list, even though I prefer and own a Glock.

Slagle what branch? Im a 0812 in the Navy myself.

I am Air Force, Combat Arms.

Oh and for the Glock argument...

Glocks are not DA (Double Action) or DAO (Double Action Only) they are as Glock likes to call it a Safe Action Trigger. It isn't accurate to call them a Single Action either, though it is much closer. The reality is anytime the slide is operated the firing pin is cocked and remains under spring tension until the trigger is pulled and the weapon is fired (dry fired or discharged). This is actually why I don't typically recommend Glocks to novice gun owners. There is a greater potential for an accidental discharge because there is no safety lever or decocking feature. That said, Glocks are fantastic pistols and are absolutely amazing as a carry weapon for someone who is well trained.

Thank you slagle. I challenge anyone to **** an unloaded Glock, pull the trigger once, and pull it again and see what happens. NO CLICK, it is not a double action pistol!

Thank you slagle. I challenge anyone to **** an unloaded Glock, pull the trigger once, and pull it again and see what happens. NO CLICK, it is not a double action pistol!

Yup. I also don't think the trigger pull is heavy. Shoot didn't they offer the "New York Trigger" or spring to make it heavier? Every revolver I have fired, out side of the plinking calibers, has had a substantially heavy trigger pull than any Glock I have fired.

Last edited:
Top Bottom