What's new

Best starter cream?

Anthony Logistics is an excellent performing menthol cream.
I'm yet to break into my tube of Bigelow, so couldn't comment. Seems very popular in these parts though.

What's a starter cream? Is it a shaving cream with training wheels on it? :laugh:

Anyway, go straight to the top.....Castle Forbes.

Last edited:
Nancy Boy Signature Shave Cream. They offer it in a 2 oz. travel size so you can sample it before committing to the larger 6 oz. tube.

Proraso tub is a great choice. I haven't tried the tube but understand it is still excellent and just a slightly thinner and easier to dispense version of the tub. If $9 is too much then I would suggest trying Arko, there are several versions and I think two has a menthol effect -- cool and ice mint.

Sorry not Menthol.

But a fantastic find anywhere 1st Shaving cream is: TBS macca root. Excellent value for money & a great shave.

Charles U.K

Not sure how a 'starter cream' would be any different from any other shaving cream you'd want to use, but you can't go wrong with Proraso or AOS. If you can't get a nearly instant great lather with these, you probably have hard water problems that need to be dealt with before continuing down the traditional shaving road! With decent water, even a total noob can get great results from these. OTOH, with hard water, you can work your tail off and not get ANYthing to lather!!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
You're not a beginner, so I'm not sure what constitutes a starter cream. Do you want something inexpensive just so you can try a cream? If so, Proraso green is the one. It's menthol and it's pretty cheap. Razorock is also very inexpensive and the lather explodes. They have lots of popular scents and I'm sure you could find one you'd like.

My top creams are Castle Forbes (Lavender) and AK 1869 in the tub. For me, these are definitely a cut above. The T&H creams are also very nice. Castle Forbes seems expensive, but a little really goes a long way. If you're really thinking about getting only one cream I think these are closer to representing the experience. You can pay twice as much, but these are really nice.

Top Bottom