What's new

Best stainless steel safety razor?

View attachment 926610

I also rinse and dry my razor after every shave . . . even though it is stainless steel. I shave with an ATT SE1 (on an MR3 handle), and while I imagine it’s not for everyone, I recommend it very, very highly.

+1. It's my new toy. The aluminium head version, which I put on a solid brass Yintal handle. The Artist Club blades like the Proline P-30 are 50mm wide, while the edge of a DE blade is just 36mm. So it's like a wiper blade across your face. Super efficient and you get a noticeably quicker shave. Rakuten have the Proline blades.

Throwing Timor out there for your consideration. They have the generic Merkur/DE89 closed or open comb heads but a number of their razors have solid stainless steel handles. I'm partial to this style with the flared ends, feels good in the hand and is well balanced.

proxy.php

Steve it's a rabbit hole, and you can go as deep as you want. My vote is ATT and Timeless. Both are great. Each maker also has a previously enjoyed section.

Does putting aluminum in contact with brass cause dielectric corrosion? (Discussed, for example, on the Fastenal site.) Maybe they're sufficiently passivated to avoid this; just wondering.

Good question. I have copper handles as well. Anybody know?

The aluminium head on the SE1 is anodised, so that should offer some galvanic isolation at least.

Last edited:
You have the ‘usual suspects’ above!

IMO there is no ‘best’ for everyone, I am interested in the best for me and my face!!
Totally agree.
I am surprised that after only 3 years a razor, regardless of the metal, has deteriorated so much. Is this more common than I think, is it related to a faulty razor, or a less than optimal care?

Totally agree.
I am surprised that after only 3 years a razor, regardless of the metal, has deteriorated so much. Is this more common than I think, is it related to a faulty razor, or a less than optimal care?

Hi guys.. to be totally honest my care may be the culprit... I thought I was taking care of it but who knows. After every shave I would wipe off all of the cream and hair and they I would put it back tigetoge and let it air dry ... But I hung it to dry on a hook in the shower. But I figured as long as it doesn't stay wet it should be fine

Maybe I need to dry it more thoroughly. Perhaps keep it outside the bathroom. Perhaps coat the head in mineral oil.

There's no one best. And now you're on the search for a more durable enjoyable expensive razor -- the search will be endless. The discoveries exciting. The possibilities vast. And there's a resale market -- as you know -- if you find one you really don't like. More likely you'll need a display case to store the many you really like.

You might want to also look at nickel over brass razors, sir. Vintage Gillettes, new Fatip & Schone.

What is your budget? $25? $50? $100? $200? $300?

There are good razors at every price point. Stainless, BTW, can develop tea stains.

How aggressive a razor do you think you want?

I wouldn't mind spending $300. I want to get something really nice.

I love the idea of interesting metals. I would love a wolfman for that reason but it's too much of a hassel to buy from them.

I'm actually looking at the timeless bronze with the open comb.

I'm shaving with a chrome plated merkur long handle with a bar right now and I think I want to switch to an open comb. (I wish the timeless bronze open comb didn't have such an agressive gap... But it should be ok... I want to go a little more agressive anyway)

Anyway... What metals do you recommend?

Are there manufacturers who are currently making lots of different custom metals. (I know timeless makes bronze and I think it was rockland or Rockwell where I saw the copper)

Also.. if you were gonna spend up to $300 ... What razor would you get?

You should look at the Timeless Ti 95 if you want something a little more efficient. I have one and I it is my favorite razor of all. I can not explain it but titanium has a softer face feel than stainless, others with concur with me.
Happy shaves
SMURF

You guys are the best .. wow . So many replies I can't get to them all individually ... But I'm literally looking in to every single suggestion you guys posted

I'd love a wolfman. How do you get one?

I signed up for his newsletters. Never got one. How does one get on his list to know when he's opening up another round of production?

I'd love a wolfman. How do you get one?

I signed up for his newsletters. Never got one. How does one get on his list to know when he's opening up another round of production?
Practically speaking if you really want one: Ebay!!! Only problem: be prepared to pay at least 2x its sticker price.

Top Bottom