What's new

Best stainless steel safety razor?

Hey guys. So I've been shaving with a safety razor for about 3 years with the same merkur handle... And boy is it corroded! And I'm pretty sure therest not a lot I can do about all the bacteria that is no doubt growing in all that crangy textured corrosion.

I've thought about taking some steel wool to it but I don't have a lot of faith in the chrome plating ... So I think I should just get a stainless steel razor (or another metal of you guys recommend).

So I have three questions:

1. What do you guys do about the corrosion on your chrome plated razors?

2. Would a stainless steel razor solve my problem, or would I just be trading corrosion for rust?

3. Where do you get a solid steel razor?

I've thought about getting a "Timeless" razor. Wolfmans seem hard to come by and as far as I can rell timeless is more or less the only show in town.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Timeless
Above the tie
Blackland dart
Rr game changer
Rockwell s
To name a few. Lots of shopping ahead

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
You will get lots of feedback I am sure. Just wondering if you may have some photo's of the corrosion so we can see what you are dealing with?

You might want to also look at nickel over brass razors, sir. Vintage Gillettes, new Fatip & Schone.

What is your budget? $25? $50? $100? $200? $300?

There are good razors at every price point. Stainless, BTW, can develop tea stains.

How aggressive a razor do you think you want?

so many good ones that there really isn't a best. For stainless steel, I like the Blackbird or the Timeless. Timeless being smoother and the Blackbird being an efficient beast that gets you to BBS almost too easily, the only downside with the Blackbird is it may be too close of a shaver to be a comfortable daily driver.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Timeless 0.95 scalloped is good, Blackbird OC is better, but not particularly comfortable. PAA Ascension is the closest, and most comfortable, of any I have ever tried.

I've owned several stainless razors and like the razorock mamba best. It's just a bonus that it's relatively inexpensive. i like the feather as d2 as well.

Good quality stainless razors will be almost indestructible in normal use. Stainless can stain and possibly even get a little surface rust/corrosion if abused. But it is just surface rust and usually easily removed. I've never heard of a stainless razor failing due to rust.

That's a big contrast to chrome plated zamak/base metal razors. Once the plating is compromised they inevitability corrode and eventually fail.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I rinse and dry my razors after every shave .
And once in awhile I take a old toothbrush to them and get any old soap off .
The best deal for a SS Razor for Me is the RR Game Changer .84.
great price and a wonderful shave for My face anyway.

Timeless tops my list, and take a look at their Titanium and Bronze while your at it. Next I would pick a Rockwell 6S.
With the assortment each offers for base plates, you should be able to find the aggression and efficiency you like.

As you can see, there is a diversity of opinion. So, do a search of SS razors and pick anyone! I have a FB and Slim that have been in constant use since 1959 and they have not a hint of corrosion. I also have a Timeless, ATT S-1 and 2, RR Wunderbar, Rockwell, among others and all have been problem-free.

4823FDDE-1FBF-45B6-B4E5-986A09859C54.jpeg

I also rinse and dry my razor after every shave . . . even though it is stainless steel. I shave with an ATT SE1 (on an MR3 handle), and while I imagine it’s not for everyone, I recommend it very, very highly.

You have the ‘usual suspects’ above!

IMO there is no ‘best’ for everyone, I am interested in the best for me and my face!!

Feather AS D2, Rockwell 6S, Muhle Rocca, ATT M/R/H 1/2, RR Mamba.

The Rocca is my favourite, followed by the ASD2. But the latter only works for me with Feather blades.

The Rockwell 6s gives you six razors in one as you can change the baseplates. So you have covered a wide range from soft to aggressive.
For me it's easy to use as you find the right angle very easy.
If it's within your budget go for it. Approx 100€/$ is a very good deal.

A Razorock game changer seems very good too, but I don't owe one.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

Lots of great options above. I think the best answer is... it depends.
It depends on your personal preferences for budget, craftsmanship, aesthetics, efficiency, blade feel, form factor, etc.

Top Bottom