What's new

Best soft badger brushes under $50, $50-$75, and $75-$100, and which brushes punch harder than their price tag?

My birthday is coming up soon so I'm thinking of treating myself to a good badger brush. My "den" if you can even call it that consists only of two brushes at the moment, a west coast shaving Silvertip badger (don't know where it's sourced) and a west coast shaving tuxedo synthetic. I'd like to buy a soft brush with very little to no perceptible scritch or scratch, scrub is fine though. My absolute upper bound is $100 but if something closer to $50 can get very close to the quality of a more expensive brush, that deal might be too good to pass up.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I never cared for badger until I tried The Golden nib silver tip grade a knot. It is so soft and comfortable. Feels luxurious to the face. Zero scritch at all. Just feels like a cloud. I paid $39 after shipping for the knot and put it in a paa blank ferrule to use in my paa switchback handle

- Fayiz D.

you get a shavemac silvertip for under 100€. thats where i would go if i was looking for a real quality brush with the intent to treat myself good for birthday (optional even for regular non birthday thursdays like today)

mühle classic start at ±50. soft, more on the floppy side - i dont like the company and will not support them anymore but their brushes are soft, mine didnt shed in 10y more than 5 hairs. literally. dont have a cassic but with wood handle but i believe their knots are compareable maybe even the exact same in the silvertip category.

the two above arent 26mm+ brushes but the need for such sizes is debateable anyways imho.

[i principally dont buy chinese shavegear so i cant comment on it - but from a soly pricestructure standpoint you'll find your pricestructure there too. chinese brush and birthday do not add up very well in my book bc i wouldnt buy them anyways]

happy bd (soon)

If you want soft, cost effective, and can live with a 22mm knot with 52 millimeters of loft, the Vulfix 376 in silvertip, faux horn lathe-turned handle, is $69 on closeout. These sell normally for more than $100. I just checked and it's in stock, here: https://thesuperiorshave.com/produc...or-silvertip-hair-cream-or-faux-horn-handles/. Just pull down the menu and go for the 376 in silvertip. When The Superior Shave started this closeout sale I ordered a few and sent them to my daughter's house as I was traveling. When they arrived my son-in-law saw them and hinted he'd like another brush to rotate with his Simpson Colonel which was his last birthday present from me. I told him sure, try them out, and choose one. After giving them a go, he grabbed the 376 silvertip in faux horn.

I have two Vulfix brushes in faux ivory, the 375 in silvertip and 376 in super. The 375 silvertip may feel the softest on my face of all my badgers- about two dozen. The extra few mm of loft makes the Vulfix a little less firm than Simpson brushes with the same knot size, but eliminates almost all scritch. Flow through is good and I have bowl lathered and face lathered with the Vulfix brushes and they're just fine for me.

Good luck in your hunt and happy birthday!

My birthday is coming up soon so I'm thinking of treating myself to a good badger brush. My "den" if you can even call it that consists only of two brushes at the moment, a west coast shaving Silvertip badger (don't know where it's sourced) and a west coast shaving tuxedo synthetic. I'd like to buy a soft brush with very little to no perceptible scritch or scratch, scrub is fine though. My absolute upper bound is $100 but if something closer to $50 can get very close to the quality of a more expensive brush, that deal might be too good to pass up.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Birthday, eh? Badger, huh?
Buddy, DM me and I might have an early present for you.

You started down the rabbit hole when you bought your 2nd brush. You collection will grow if you like it or knot. Pun intended. I'm very fond of Whipped Dog, especially in their larger sizes. I like lofty brushes so I usually order it without it being glued together so I can space the knot up a bit. A tall handled 24 mm High Mountain (two band finest) or Silvertip will be $39.00 plus tax and shipping. These brushes hit far above their price range and you would be extremely happy.

If you really want to spend more then the most attractive to me is the Vulfix that was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Thanks for the birthday wishes and recommendations so far, everyone. I have some general questions and some specific questions.

General:
What is it like to lather with a smaller diameter brush? My two brushes are 24mm (silvertip badger) and 26mm (tuxedo) and I imagine this means my loads are quicker and the lather builds faster because the wider diameter maybe adds more backbone. On the flipside does the thinner diameter imply that the brush has more splay and is softer on the face?

How big are the differences in "type" of badger hair in terms of characteristics? The names I see frequently tossed around are silvertip, 2band/3band, high mountain, best, and pure. Also is there any reason to consider a super high density knot like the one at Maggard or are they not worth the hype?

Specific:
I've been seeing some B&B posters complain about bad quality control from Simpson (lots of shedding, sometimes large chunks of hair falling out of the knot). Is that something that's becoming more and more common, or is it a fringe scenario? Also if it happens, how reliable is Simpson's customer service for customers in the US? Also does this apply to the Vulfix knots?

Great info in this thread. I just bought a Vulfix 374 Silvertip Faux horn and a 376 Super Cream for less than $70. What fun!

The best single spot for as good as any discussion of badger is shavemac hair qualities page.

Smaller brushes use less soap take less time to load but we're talking seconds and fractions of grams here. Firm/floppy depends on loft vs diameter, hair type, density and shape. I prefer smaller brushes, with stout loft/diameter ratios, and bulb shapes. Backbone.

Simpson brushes are wonderful. They make just about every handle in every size with every hair. If you like something go for it. Odds are a million to one yours will be a dud.

Please forgive me for continuing to suggest that if a fellow wanted to learn something visit this place then study and read a bit here and elsewhere about Semogue's. The Torga C5's have 2-band, 3-band, Mistura, and Boar, likewise with the SOC's. I own the C3's as I like a smaller brush. My trio daily make me wonder why I need anything else.

Last edited:
If you want soft, cost effective, and can live with a 22mm knot with 52 millimeters of loft, the Vulfix 376 in silvertip, faux horn lathe-turned handle, is $69 on closeout. These sell normally for more than $100. I just checked and it's in stock, here: https://thesuperiorshave.com/produc...or-silvertip-hair-cream-or-faux-horn-handles/. Just pull down the menu and go for the 376 in silvertip. When The Superior Shave started this closeout sale I ordered a few and sent them to my daughter's house as I was traveling. When they arrived my son-in-law saw them and hinted he'd like another brush to rotate with his Simpson Colonel which was his last birthday present from me. I told him sure, try them out, and choose one. After giving them a go, he grabbed the 376 silvertip in faux horn.

I have two Vulfix brushes in faux ivory, the 375 in silvertip and 376 in super. The 375 silvertip may feel the softest on my face of all my badgers- about two dozen. The extra few mm of loft makes the Vulfix a little less firm than Simpson brushes with the same knot size, but eliminates almost all scritch. Flow through is good and I have bowl lathered and face lathered with the Vulfix brushes and they're just fine for me.

Good luck in your hunt and happy birthday!
I've not found a better value than Colonel Konk silvertip brushes. When I started really getting into wet shaving, and didn't understand blowing money on a brush I bought one of these brushes...10 years later I compare my simpsons, shavemac and anything I buy to it and frankly nothing compares. It's still my favorite. Their silvertip is cloud like. I love their black badger as well, but you said you're not a scritch fan so I'd not recommend to you. For my, if I've got a few days heavy growth my col konk black badger is my go to.

How big are the differences in "type" of badger hair in terms of characteristics? The names I see frequently tossed around are silvertip, 2band/3band, high mountain, best, and pure. Also is there any reason to consider a super high density knot like the one at Maggard or are they not worth the hype?

There is no fully accepted universal grading for badger hair. Different brush makers use different names sometimes for the same or nearly the same hair. There is also different levels within each grade. The following seems to be the general titles used by Chinese knot makers.

Pure Badger, also know as 100%. All that can really said for it is that there is nothing else in it but badger, most usually of the least desirable types. A pretty common characteristic is that the tips are trimmed to shape the knot making them scratchy. To me there are not usable, but others have reported they like them. Not for my tender face though. Black badger also fits in this category.

Best - a very durable and serviceable grade. Some are better than others. Most Simpsons are Best and at the higher end at that. They tend to be scrubby and this is what some users prefer. Usually a Three Band Knot.

Finest - often also identified as Two Band. The preferred grade of many. Some brush makers don't go above this grade. Compared to Silvertip, the shaft of each individual hair is thicker giving the brush loads of backbone and tending to make it easier to lather. A variation of this is something called High Mountain or Manchurian. Very likely marketing designations rather than actually from badgers grown in higher elevations.

Silvertip - only about 15% of the badger pelt qualifies as Silvertip. It is the area where his face is more likely to rub against it. It is the softest grade and the one preferred by many. Usuall a Three Band knot. It gives the nicest face feel.

Related Names
High Mountain - mentioned above with Finest'

High Mountain White - seems to be a thicker shafted Silvertip. It sell for a big premium. The ones I have seem to be somewhere between Finest and Silvertip. I don't believe they are worth the extra cost. YMMV.

Two Band vs Three Band - It is my belief that all badger hair is three band, however what is called Two Band has a much wider middle band so that often the lighter colored third band is hidden within the handle or cut off when making the knot. Most Two Band falls into the Finest grade although there are some Two Band Silvertips.

Master Badger - a short length type of hair off the back of the badger - probably about the grade of Best but with much less loft. Sold by The Golden Nib.

Super - usually designates hair that has had further treatment to make it softer. Most commonly it is applied to Best to make is something better than Best but not likely to be as nice as Finest or Silvertip. Interestingly enough, the softest brush I have is a Super Silvertip. I have not found another one like it.

I hope this helps.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
If you want soft with very little scratch, this would be my recommendation. $99 is a deal as it is almost $300 direct from Simpson.

I love mine and it should last a lifetime.

The $59 Simpsons Commodore x3 Is another great option.
Lots of great advice in all posts above. I’m considering that Simpson Emperor.

You may also want to consider a gently used Shavemac, my personal favorite badger maker. With a little patience, you should find one in your range on the B&B Buy-Sell-Trade forum. I have 2 used Shavemacs, both purchased well under your limit.

@rally, I have a WCS badger. Handle quality is high, and badger hair is soft without being floppy. Research after I purchased indicates it is sourced from China. Longer term users report more splaying than I prefer.

@Zig the Pirate made a wonderful suggestion in his second post. If you haven’t already, I encourage you to reach out to him. He’s a gentleman and a scholar.

No matter which way you go, I wish you all the best.

I have one badger knot that I have several of and it's Oumo Handmaster knot. Knot by itself is around 30-40 bucks on aliexpress and with handle, it goes around 50-60 bucks. I really enjoy the 24mm knot but the 26mm is good as well. It's got gel tip knots so it's very soft on the face and super high density to give that cloud-like face feel. If I were to give a recommendation, I'd go with a 24mm Handmaster knot set at 52mm loft.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I would never recommend a sub $50 badger. But know that there are shavers who have some and like them.

I have two badgers that I consider more than excellent at their forte:

Face lathering - Semogue 2 band SOC badger. Nice backbone and soft tips. Medium size. Punches above it's price of around $65.

Bowl lathering - Kent BK8, a big, soft brush with a little backbone and tips that feel like angel's wings on the face. Luxurious to the max. But not cheap. I got mine many years ago and I seem to remember around $135.

You can get a magnificent boar for $30, and many synthetics for half that. That's the direction I'd go for budget brushes.

I've not found a better value than Colonel Konk silvertip brushes. When I started really getting into wet shaving, and didn't understand blowing money on a brush I bought one of these brushes...10 years later I compare my simpsons, shavemac and anything I buy to it and frankly nothing compares. It's still my favorite. Their silvertip is cloud like. I love their black badger as well, but you said you're not a scritch fan so I'd not recommend to you. For my, if I've got a few days heavy growth my col konk black badger is my go to.
Good suggestion; I think the Colonel Conk boar brushes are made by Simpson/Vulfix in the Isle of Mann.

I have not seen a response to your question about Maggards Supper High Density Finest knots. I have three brushes made using their regular Finest knots, two in 26 mm and one in 24 mm. I have also made brushes for others with those knots. I feel they are a wonderful knot and can't imagine a better on. Others here have told me I'm missing out.

I've noticed some dirogitory comments about Chinese sources brushes and knots and it is worth making comment. Nearly all the badger hair used currently in badger shaving brushes is sourced from China. Badgers are a protected species in most of the rest of the world but in China they are so numerous that they are an agricultural pest. Not only is most of the hair sourced there, so are most of the knots. Once the Chinese figured out how to make knots it wasn't that big of a leap to figure out how to make handles too. In my collection I have a Kent BK8. A lovely brush. It retails for aroud $200.00 to $300.00 or more. I also have a very comparable ACE 24 mm Silvertip, fully a Chinese sourced and made brush, that is very close to equivilant. It was $30.00 including shipping a few years ago. I have purchased about a dozen or so and passed them out as gifts. Misteso also makes exceptional brushes, although a bit pricier, but still less than from European makers.

Top Bottom