What's new

Best soap scent ever.

Here's another vote for Pre de Provence #63. I'm not usually a fan of cologne-type scents in soaps but there are some exceptions. PDP #63 is particularly nice this time of year.

Trouble is that no real sandalwood is used by any soap maker nowadays. I paid $ 38 for a vial of 3 ml of real stuff. It was freshly distilled. Aged and specially curated sample go for nearly $120 for 2ml.
Soap makers just pass off amyris and bastard sandalwood as real deal.

I know there has been some small releases of soap/splash/EdP based on real sandalwood with a cost quite a few hundreds. Too expensive for me at that time :(

Best scent for me would be prorasso green. Theres just something about it that takes me back in time to being a kid and smelling it in my house. 1805 from truefitt and hill is my wifes favorite scent. But this is scent alone, not performance.

I am a bit of a "frag head", and IMO, the greatest (not just the nicest or the most pleasing...there is an art/mastery component to "great" and they should be complex and unique) are to me:

- Eufros Fougere
- Eufros Gea
- Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars
- Noble Otter Lone Star
- Noble Otter The Noir et Vanille
- Ariana & Evans Uno
- Australian Private Reserve Fenchurch
- Australian Private Reserve Mycroft

Each one of those soaps smells insanely classy and unique and is a thrill every time I shave with it.

1573842378624.png

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
You will love them both. I have the lime also. I bought it because I read so many good reviews about the scent. And the performance is the best.
Shave stick experience was fantastic! I read a thread on the wiki about using a stick. Performance was amazing. bay rum scent is Wonderful. On busy mornings it saves a few steps and minutes.

I'm a big fan of the classic Old Spice scent. To my nose, Stirling Spice does a very good version (I don't currently have any of the original though).

I doubt many will agree, but mine is Arko.

I actually think Arko smells good, too. Here in Florida there are plenty of Crusellas colognes with this type of scent.

Best scent for me would be prorasso green. Theres just something about it that takes me back in time to being a kid and smelling it in my house. 1805 from truefitt and hill is my wifes favorite scent. But this is scent alone, not performance.

I like the fragrance but unfortunately I find the eucalyptus to be skin sensitizing. Sensitive skin Proraso, what little scent it has, is similar and it's pretty good.

Out of my 200 soaps there are few excellent ones, many good ones, and a lot of average scents. But to me Nuavia Blu tops the list. Its just so unique and pleasing. My only issue is finding the perfect complimentary aftershave for it. I remember dfoulk recommended l'occitane Eav Des Baux which I really like. If anyone has any other suggestions, please share.

Out of my 200 soaps there are few excellent ones, many good ones, and a lot of average scents. But to me Nuavia Blu tops the list. Its just so unique and pleasing. My only issue is finding the perfect complimentary aftershave for it. I remember dfoulk recommended l'occitane Eav Des Baux which I really like. If anyone has any other suggestions, please share.

I believe someone mentioned Caron le 3’ homme as pairing well with Blu.

There are so many and scent is such an individual thing, but in a one soap for the rest of your life scenario, unthinking go for for something very mildly scented or even unscented. Everything gets old eventually. Something like the valobra stick has a very mild but pleasant scent I could see myself living with long term.

Trouble is that no real sandalwood is used by any soap maker nowadays. I paid $ 38 for a vial of 3 ml of real stuff. It was freshly distilled. Aged and specially curated sample go for nearly $120 for 2ml.
Soap makers just pass off amyris and bastard sandalwood as real deal.
Perhaps, but remember some of the perfumers have long standing fragrances that are called sandalwood but are in fact simply a specific perfume. Taylor's and Trumpets both sell soaps labelled sandalwood but they are in fact scented with their own proprietary fragrance, and both much more interesting and sophisticated (and require a lot more skill to design) than simply adding some essential oil to a product. In fact trumpers sandalwood soap might be the nicest scented shave product ive ever used. Pity the contemporary soap base they're using doesn't match the quality of the scent at all. :(
So I think its more a matter of semantics than companies being misleading.

Top Bottom