What's new

Best soap scent ever.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Your sense of humor is not affected at any rate. You are quite entertaining.
Thank you. I think...at any rate, the War Department would remind you that you didn't take any oaths about sickness or health related to me!

The scent reminds me of areca nut, a scent I'm most familiar with, coming from where I do :)
That's interesting, I've not too familiar with that one. I get some type of lemon or citrus, mixed with herbals like you might smell in the area around the Mediterranean coast, plus something else I can't identify yet. It's unique.

That's interesting, I've not too familiar with that one. I get some type of lemon or citrus, mixed with herbals like you might smell in the area around the Mediterranean coast, plus something else I can't identify yet. It's unique.

One thing more. I'm from a state where sandalwood is rife and am puzzled that nearly nothing of what's marketed as sandalwood by shaving soap manufacturers actually smells like that wood whose aroma I find quite appealing. That in itself doesn't make the scents marketed bad or anything; in fact, TOOBS sandalwood, which has a passing resemblance to Dead Sea, is really nice.

One thing more. I'm from a state where sandalwood is rife and am puzzled that nearly nothing of what's marketed as sandalwood by shaving soap manufacturers actually smells like that wood whose aroma I find quite appealing. That in itself doesn't make the scents marketed bad or anything; in fact, TOOBS sandalwood, which has a passing resemblance to Dead Sea, is really nice.
I think a lot of it due to cost of the sandalwood oil nowadays. True sandalwood is a protected species and is getting more scarce. Oils from different plants are substituted and mixed with other fragrances. There are a few shaving products out there that have a pure sandalwood scent, though.

Out of my 200 soaps there are few excellent ones, many good ones, and a lot of average scents. But to me Nuavia Blu tops the list. Its just so unique and pleasing. My only issue is finding the perfect complimentary aftershave for it. I remember dfoulk recommended l'occitane Eav Des Baux which I really like. If anyone has any other suggestions, please share.

Wow. 200 soaps?

How do you store/prevent your soaps from getting rancid? I mean, it might take you a decade or even longer to 3017 the majority of them...?!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G800F mit Tapatalk

Wow. 200 soaps?

How do you store/prevent your soaps from getting rancid? I mean, it might take you a decade or even longer to 3017 the majority of them...?!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G800F mit Tapatalk
I store them in a cool, dry closet area. Some are 7 years old with no issues so far at all. Of the 200, about 80 are hard soaps and will last forever anyway. I was concerned about some of the softer croaps and artisan soaps, but so far no issues. I was thinking of vacuum sealing some of them until they come up in rotation. And your right about how long it will take to use them. I have a very detailed set of spreadsheets tracking inventory, ratings, and usage. I have tracked now 1980 consecutive shaves so I have a very accurate estimate of how long many of these soaps will last. I actually have over 30 years worth and the Good Lord knows I probably don't have that time left so many are going out now for gifts and I am in the process of converting a couple of grandkids into wet shaving so the collection will eventually be passed on. I will finally break even with cartridge shaving in another 8.7 years; if I do not buy another soap! In the meantime, I never store a soap wet, always leaving the lid off until completely dried. Soft soaps, I don't load from the container but place a small portion in a container to lather. Excess moisture is the enemy potentially causing mold or spoilage. I am using up my softer soaps first now but I do miss using Tabac, DR Harris, SV, L'Occitane Cade, and SV and occasionally break rotation to use them.

I store them in a cool, dry closet area. Some are 7 years old with no issues so far at all. Of the 200, about 80 are hard soaps and will last forever anyway. I was concerned about some of the softer croaps and artisan soaps, but so far no issues. I was thinking of vacuum sealing some of them until they come up in rotation. And your right about how long it will take to use them. I have a very detailed set of spreadsheets tracking inventory, ratings, and usage. I have tracked now 1980 consecutive shaves so I have a very accurate estimate of how long many of these soaps will last. I actually have over 30 years worth and the Good Lord knows I probably don't have that time left so many are going out now for gifts and I am in the process of converting a couple of grandkids into wet shaving so the collection will eventually be passed on. I will finally break even with cartridge shaving in another 8.7 years; if I do not buy another soap! In the meantime, I never store a soap wet, always leaving the lid off until completely dried. Soft soaps, I don't load from the container but place a small portion in a container to lather. Excess moisture is the enemy potentially causing mold or spoilage. I am using up my softer soaps first now but I do miss using Tabac, DR Harris, SV, L'Occitane Cade, and SV and occasionally break rotation to use them.

Thank you very much for your comprehensive reply and your valuable tips.

As regards to vacuum sealing - why did you skip that idea? I assume a tripple milled soap wouldn't benefit from such kind of sealing, but what about vacuum sealing the container of a (firm) croap...?

"...if I don't buy another soap"

I guess, this is where all the trouble starts again... [emoji23] ... but your grandkids will love you even more!

Kind greetings from Germany!

soap: Tabac
cream: St. James of London Sandalwood & Bergamot

honorable mentions:
soap: Fine American Blend
Cream: Art of Shaving Sandalwood

With about 90 soaps and zero special effort to preserving any of them, mine have lasted the better part of three years thus far. Softer ones like TOOBS and AoS I only bowl-lather. I hope that the myriad RazoRocks and other artisan soaps don't get rancid over time because I don't wait for the surface water to dry ere putting them back on the ledge.

My house is nearly always air-conditioned, however.

Thank you very much for your comprehensive reply and your valuable tips.

As regards to vacuum sealing - why did you skip that idea? I assume a tripple milled soap wouldn't benefit from such kind of sealing, but what about vacuum sealing the container of a (firm) croap...?

"...if I don't buy another soap"

I guess, this is where all the trouble starts again... [emoji23] ... but your grandkids will love you even more!

Kind greetings from Germany!
Thank you for your kind response. I actually will start vacuum sealing softer soaps shortly. If nothing else, it may help preserve the scent longer. I know there are several members here who vacuum seal some of their extra soaps.

Apparently some of y'all have too many soaps (subjective, I know, but if you have to start thinking about vacuum sealing, I'd say you've reached all the way to "too many").

My favorites are:
MWF
SV Dolomiti
Speick stick
Valobra Fougere

Honorable mentions:
PdP63
DRHarris Sandalwood
Bath House Cuban Cedar & Lime

The Old Tallow formula of Trumper's Violet

It's such a pity their current soaps don't lather well cos their rose and violet soap scents are amazing! I so miss the old formula rose soap!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
There doesn't seem to be a lot of Vetiver junkies here. So, I'll throw in for it. Cyril R Salter French Vetiver and Martin de Candre Vetyver Limited Edition are both excellent full strength Vetiver scents. They are unparallel in the world of Vetiver.

Top Bottom