What's new

Best soap scent ever.

Grim Blades' Smolder (vaguely toasted marshmallow)
Ariana & Evans' Cafe au Lait
Mike's Natural Soaps' Lime & Coconut
Trumper's Coconut
Castle Forbes' Lime
Spieck

Discontinued:
Mickey Lee Soapworks' Cocoa Maya and Drunken Goat
Strop Shoppe's Russian Tea

FWIW, the OP is not alone in deciding that Mystic Water is the best shave soap on the market. I have seen several other people say the same thing, including people that have been doing traditional wet shaving for over a decade and have tried lots and lots of soaps.

I was a beta-tester for Michelle when she was developing the soap. Some of her earlier iterations were not that great, but she kept tweaking it. When she sent me the soap that she is currently selling, I emailed her back after the first shave to tell her that she definitely got it right.

I'm not sure it's the best shave soap currently available, but if it is not, it's in the conversation. For me, at least, the immediate post-shave is the best of any soap I've tried. It doesn't leave a greasy or overly hydrated feel and yet it's not drying even in the least; the skin is left soft and supple and feeling and looking healthy. A lot of other soapmakers have spent a long time trying and failing to duplicate this aspect of Michelle's soap. In this one aspect, at least, I believe it is the best soap I've ever used (but not necessarily the best soap overall).

There are so many categories of scents that it makes it hard to pick a favorite since it depends on the mood.

I have tried literally HUNDREDS of soaps and creams but my all time favorite scent is Storybook Soapworks Shaken- this scent is simply amazing and a masterpiece IMO. Sandalwood and very complex with notes of Money make it different and unique, nothing else quite like it.

another great scent is PDP 63 which is a sandalwood coffee cologne type scent. Would love to pick up the EDT one of these days. Closest thing would be A&E Revolution.

Wet The Face Christmas Time- one of the best Pine/Basalm/Fir scents I have encountered. It is strong and refreshing with top notch performance.

WCS Rose Otto- a beautiful Rose scent, bold yet not feminine per say more of a neutral Rose floral.

L&L Mayflower- very nice floral scent with notes of Honeysuckle that add some depth without making it too sweet.

A&E Kalifa- very unique scent that is hard to describe, closest thing would be Noble Otter Monarch but they have their differences. It is a sweet scent that reminds me of Grape Bubblegum.
I recall in a past post that you really liked Shaken, so was excited when I got out to Maggards last week to sniff in person. Maybe I overworked my nose being in there for a few hours, but was disappointed that the scent was so light it was difficult to pick out any notes. I thought it would have been one I was going to take home (never tried soap from SS). May get around to ordering a sample one day.

Panacrema Nuavia Blu
Panacrema Nostalgia (Extinct)
MdC Fougere
Catie's Bubbles LPV
Grim Blades Smolder
AOS Sandalwood (Valobra made)
Czech & Speake No. 88 (Valobra made)
Oh so many more....

There are so many categories of scents that it makes it hard to pick a favorite since it depends on the mood.

I have tried literally HUNDREDS of soaps and creams but my all time favorite scent is Storybook Soapworks Shaken- this scent is simply amazing and a masterpiece IMO. Sandalwood and very complex with notes of Money make it different and unique, nothing else quite like it.

another great scent is PDP 63 which is a sandalwood coffee cologne type scent. Would love to pick up the EDT one of these days. Closest thing would be A&E Revolution.

Wet The Face Christmas Time- one of the best Pine/Basalm/Fir scents I have encountered. It is strong and refreshing with top notch performance.

WCS Rose Otto- a beautiful Rose scent, bold yet not feminine per say more of a neutral Rose floral.

L&L Mayflower- very nice floral scent with notes of Honeysuckle that add some depth without making it too sweet.

A&E Kalifa- very unique scent that is hard to describe, closest thing would be Noble Otter Monarch but they have their differences. It is a sweet scent that reminds me of Grape Bubblegum.
Agreed on PDP 63. Wish they made a regular aftershave, since the balm scent is very light. Definitely a fan of the leathery/ spicy/ tobacco-y scents as well.

Razorock Tuscan Oud. No need for aftershave or cologne after using this soap. I can smell it on myself all day as can others.

Lately my favorite scent is Shannon's Haymarket Vetiver, but then I've been on a Vetiver kick lately. Morning Ghost (another vetiver based scent) from Cold River Soap Works is high on my list of favorite scents as well. Among non-vetiver based scents, I would put Crabtree & Evelyn's West Indian Lime near the top of my list of favorite scented shaving soaps.

I absolutely love sandalwood.
Trouble is that no real sandalwood is used by any soap maker nowadays. I paid $ 38 for a vial of 3 ml of real stuff. It was freshly distilled. Aged and specially curated sample go for nearly $120 for 2ml.
Soap makers just pass off amyris and bastard sandalwood as real deal.

Trouble is that no real sandalwood is used by any soap maker nowadays. I paid $ 38 for a vial of 3 ml of real stuff. It was freshly distilled. Aged and specially curated sample go for nearly $120 for 2ml.
Soap makers just pass off amyris and bastard sandalwood as real deal.

I absolutely love bastard sandalwood!

*fixed :laugh:

6612E651-BA1B-44F7-9676-682966907A7F.jpeg

Top Bottom