What's new

Best Simpson for cream?

Ok, another one for you: which Simpson would make the best cream brush? Reading back numerous brush threads, I get the impression Simpsons are in general quite stiff and thus mostly suitable for soaps. Or am I wrong? I'm particularly interested in a smaller/medium sized brush -certainly no polo 12!

It just doesn't matter. I don't understand this urban legend about certain brushes working with certain materials.

Sorry, pet peeve. :a38:

You are so right Scotto........ALL my brushes work EQUALLY well with ALL soaps and ALL creams..if there are uberhaupt differences, they are of microscopic value imho, not important for daily use...

Peter

Ditto, what I think it boils down to is.... what you want the brush to feel like on your face.
Cheers, DJ.

OK, that sure makes things a lot easier. Now I can focus on face feeling and -above all- brush esthetics. :001_wub:

Scotto said:
It just doesn't matter. I don't understand this urban legend about certain brushes working with certain materials.

Sorry, pet peeve. :a38:

I'm going to have to disagree somewhat on this point. While all brushes will work with all types of "materials" - some brushes definitely work better or worse with certain materials.

For example, my floppy Vulfix 2197 in pure works better with creams and shave sticks than it does with cakes of either glycerine or hard soaps.

As for the Simpson brushes, while I only have one, my very limited experience is that it works great with soaps and creams.

Suzuki said:
As for the Simpson brushes, while I only have one, my very limited experience is that it works great with soaps and creams.
So which one do you have (and in best or super)?

Btw, I have a Tulip 3 Super, which would great for cream. Or soap. Lately I have been just smearing a little cream on my face, and then hitting it with this brush, shaken out (keeps form spraying everywhere). Dip the brush in hot water a couple of time as the lather starts to form. Great lather, super fast.

Stauff said:
So which one do you have (and in best or super)?

Stauff:

I have a small Simpson Rover (never heard of it before) in pure that looks a lot like the milk churn

View attachment 1719

Possibly a touch thicker (between 20 and 22 mm) and a touch shorter.

I actually bought the brush in Brussells at Au Grand Rasoir - what a great shop!

I like it very much (the hair holds more watter than my Vulfix 2197, but less than my SR3122 and its a lot denser than the Vulfix). I just used it today with a QED stick and it lathers up like crazy, it also works great with my Tabac.

So there you have it, my $0.02.

Two great Simpson brushes: Emperor 3 Super and Major Super. And Dr. Moss will add the Duke 3 Best---and I agree. Em's Place is out of some of these, but The Gentlemen's Shop has them, and they're reliable and ship promptly.

Agent86 said:
I can't believe that a PJ hasn't been recommended yet! :wink:

Well, I suggested the T3, which is pretty much the same as a PJ3, except for the handle. Although it doesn't come in best. But the Super is in no way "too stiff for cream" or any such bunk.

moses said:
Well, I suggested the T3, which is pretty much the same as a PJ3, except for the handle. Although it doesn't come in best. But the Super is in no way "too stiff for cream" or any such bunk.
Interesting - I find the T3 nothing at all like the PJ3. Damn YMMV :rolleyes:

Fascinating. What are the differences you find? Btw, there is a picture of the particular PJ3 I have here, so you can see the bristle color. I don't have a picture of my T3, but the bristles are exactly the same.

I keep thinking the PJ3 may have ever so slightly larger a knot than the T3, but it is not enough to make any difference, as far as I can tell, and I'm not even sure. (Calipers are in a moving box).

My PJ3 is a "three bander" - comes across as less stiff, denser, bigger. I get a totally different vibe from each. Damn Simpsons variability.

Scotto said:
My PJ3 is a "three bander" - comes across as less stiff, denser, bigger. I get a totally different vibe from each. Damn Simpsons variability.

Indeed. I definitely am happy to have gotten the stiffer 2 band, but still, it would be nice to know in advance....

Firstly - As far as some brushes better for soaps/creams... PERSONALLY I find with my water, my brush, my lathering style, etc - a firmer bristled brush lathers hard shaving soaps much faster, easier and more effective than a very soft brush. Also - the firmer brushes tend to "splay out" less - which allows me to apply more downward pressure (hence the lathering faster/more effectively) and doesn't "splay out" and cause quite a mess. While EVERY brush I have owned/used has been ABLE to generate quality shave worthy lather, I personally find the firmer ones more effective with soaps, and the softer ones more effective (and feel better) for shaving creams. With a thick lubricic lather from shaving cream, which tends to be "denser/thicker" I find a brush with a tendency to "splay out" allows both the room for the lather to "grow" and allows easier transfer of thick cream to once face by creating "suction" on your face when the bristles splay out. Can you use a Plisson HMW to lather creams and have it work splendid? Yes - but you can bet your button a Rooney Finest is going to work/feel better, and require less effort - and visa versa. (Also the shape of the brush head can make a brush less/more effective for soaps - but that is another rant for another day :tongue: )

Next - Personally I prefer simpson "three band" brush heads. They don't look as "pretty" but they work and feel better... period. So getting back on point - I have 9 Simpsons shaving brushes, and I have owned 4 others, and personally the "best" shaving cream brush in my personal opinion is the Polo 12 super you mentioned you weren't looking for :eek: Maybe it is a personal thing - but when I use shaving creams I typically want to really be drenched in "luxury" and feel like a king.... and what better way to do it than with a king size brush? The polo 12 head is NOT to be taken lightly, it is a monster, it is highly effective, it is dense - yet soft... just a hell of a brush for shaving creams. PERSONALLY - it is too big for my tastes, and I don't use it much... well pretty much at all!

Ok ok - broken record time :biggrin: an outstanding cream brush from the simpson line is the PJ3 Super (three band). It is soft, it is dense, it is luxurious, it is the epitome of pamper, yet it also has enough "ummph" to work up a hell of a lather, AND use with soaps in a pinch (but I am not fond of it at all as a soap brush.) The PJ3 is not as well rounded as the PJ2, however if creams are your primary use - the PJ3 is awfully hard to beat.

Top Bottom