What's new

Best Simpson Brush for face lathering

Best Simpson Brush

• Total voters
What's your favorite Simpson brush for face lathering? These are the ones I'm trying to decide between:

Chubby CH2 Best $116
Duke 3 Best $80
Duke 2 Best $70
Commodore X3 Best $60
Colonel X2L $49
Berkeley 46 $35
Wee Scot Best $37

Sir, they are all great. Chubby 2 is probably too big for daily use, but it’s an amazing and unique brush. Wee Scot is probably too small to be a daily driver (it’s really wee).

If you don’t mind a smaller handle, may I suggest you consider also the Classic series (either 1 or 2)

The Classic 1 is Simpson’s ultimate face lathering brush, and my personal favorite in Best Badger hair. As a plus, it fits the small travel tube

If I had to choose one from your list, I would go big and get the Chubby 2. Hard to beat the feeling of a warm wall of badger

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I voted Duke 3, Duke 2, and Berkeley 46. I will face lather with bigger brushes, but any of these 3 would be right in my roundhouse. The Duke 3 is the biggest of those I selected, but it's the best all-around brush in the lot. For face lathering I'd go with the Chubby 1 rather than the 2.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I prefer small knots and handles and sold my Chubby 2 and 3 as I simply found them way way too large but that is a matter of personal preference. My choice in your list would be Duke 3 or 2 in Best, followed by the Wee Scot. Some regard the Wee Scot as only a travel brush, or even as a novelty item, but I could happily use it as my only brush. As said above the Classic 1 is a superb face lathering brush and worthy of consideration, but if I had the finances to buy a Chubby 2 then I would buy...... a Chubby 1. Simpson Best can be a bit variable but a Simpson brush will never disappoint.

I recently got the Chubby 2 in Best. I face lather. Three shaves in, I wondered why I waited so long. I have no experience with the other brushes.

I have a colonel in best badger that I really like! I don't know the others tho, so I can't really make a comparison. They only downside that I can find is the small handle, but that's more a problem with my hands than an issue with the brush itself...

I both bowl lather and face lather with it. the knot is full and nice combination of scrubby and soft. Thirsty as every animal fiber I would assume, maybe a tad more for the dense knot?

My Duke 2, Berkeley, and 57 all excel at face lathering. I've got smaller Simpsons (the Wee Scot and the Case) and while they're great, I can't say they're quite as good as the mid size brushes. I've not tried the larger Simpson's listed here, but based on experience with other brushes of comparable size, I'm pretty confident I'd find them too big for optimal face lathering.

CH2 or even CH3 for me. I even use my Plisson HMW size 20 to face lather. I control the knot by gripping the handle so that my index and middle fingers and thumb pinch the hairs just above the handle. Fantastic control over splay and directing the tips where needed. If I’m paying significant amounts of money for a brush, I want as much interaction between me, my face and the expensive hair as possible.

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

CH2 or even CH3 for me. I even use my Plisson HMW size 20 to face lather. I control the knot by gripping the handle so that my index and middle fingers and thumb pinch the hairs just above the handle. Fantastic control over splay and directing the tips where needed. If I’m paying significant amounts of money for a brush, I want as much interaction between me, my face and the expensive hair as possible.
Interesting, I have heard of barbers using that pinch technique. I always assumed that the requirement for such a technique was an indication that the knot had too much splay and loft, in other words was too large. From what you are saying it seems I was mistaken. 👍

Yes for sure the larger Chubbies and most larger Plissons do in fact have very large knots. I’ve gotten used to this technique and use it even on my smaller badger and boar brushes.

One thing I add this will be for daily use not travel. I have a smaller AOS badger I use for travel, not the best brush but it does the job for now. This will be my first proper badger brush. The brush I currently use is omega 10098. I like the long handle for bowl lather but it too big to face lather with. Yesterday I ordered the Trafalgar T3 to get a feel for softer brushes. I’m assuming that would be similar to chubby 2 in size.

I’m assuming that would be similar to chubby 2 in size.

Not per se. Synths do not bloom like badgers so an equal sized synth knot feels smaller.
From experience: Shavemac / FA Stout (both in 24mm) feel more or less like Chubby 1 in size. Muhle STF 21mm feels..small, compared to Duke 1.
And these are observations from someone who likes small brushes (my Zenith Silvetip is practicly collecting dust).

I went with the Duke 2. One brush you didn't have on the list, might be because of the price, the Emperor 2; a bit longer of a handle and automatically a Super grade knot. Awesome all-rounder. Easy bowl, great control face, and the knot is just plush.
Good luck, any of the Simpson should make you proud and bring a smile to your face.

EclipseRedRing

Emperor 2 is actually cheaper than chubby 2 on amazon ($90). I like the idea of longer handle.
If you are considering a longer handle then for me there is only one choice, the M7. For me it is like a Duke with a longer handle, a superb bowl lathering brush which is equally at home for face lathering.

IMO, the Simpsons 3 band super hair is as good as it gets. Beautiful hair, handle and construction and a ton of history all wrapped into one for $90 plus tax!

EclipseRedRing

As usual as many different opinions as there are posts 🤣 I find the Super to be too soft and luxurious, with too much splay, and lacking backbone and face feel. It is like lathering with a huge and very luxurious, but somehow very boring, marshmallow, and not in a good way 😆 My favourite Simpson grades are Manchurian, Best, Pure, and three band Super in last place. I have not tried Simpson 2 band Silvertip as it is so close in price to Manchurian that I prefer to stick with what I know. For me the Best grade is the greatest bargain in shaving. You can get too much advice so I would trust your instinct and choose what you want. Good luck with your decision.

Top Bottom