• Simpson

• Vulfix

• Rooney

• Shavemac

• Muehle

Results are only viewable after voting.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
All around best brush of performance and price. Rooney 3/1 Super (or 1/1 Super depending on your preference in handle style.

I would have given the nod to the Duke 3 Best or Chubby 1 Best pre-Vulfix had they still been available.

Although not technically Silvertip, I recommend a custom Shavemac in Finest. 45mm loft, choose the diameter you prefer (21mm?), and pick whatever handle shape and size you like (as long as it's on Shavemac's website). That hair grade is a tremendous value.
-Andy

i'm looking into this now it seems like the best of both worlds, some handles don't look that aesthetically appeasing

added poll as per OP's request

thanks!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
which one? I am sort of , kinda maybe looking to add a brush.

All around best brush of performance and price. Rooney 3/1 Super (or 1/1 Super depending on your preference in handle style.

That's probably going to be your answer. I am personally a fan of the Heritage series, but they are a bit more money ... my favourite, the Beehive, is a lot more money doubtless because a lot more work goes into the handle.

i'm looking into this now it seems like the best of both worlds, some handles don't look that aesthetically appeasing

I'm not wild about every single handle style Shavemac offers either, but the selection is huge. Pretty much a brush to meet anyone's taste. You don't just have to order a custom brush from his "custom" page on his website. If you email him, he will put pretty much any knot in any handle. I could easily own 2 or 3 (or 4) more of Bernd's brushes just for the handle designs. The two I own, though, are both wonderfully ergonomic and pretty easy on the eyes, in my opinion.

-Andy

Last edited:
Value for the money? You gotta go for the kent Bk4 from auravita. It suits your shaving style as a bowl latherer and will be great with creams. If you decide that you want to start using more soaps in the future, it will work for for that too. Lots of choices on brushes, but for your situation, that's what I would do.

I'm not wild about every single handle style Shavemac offers either, but the selection is huge. Pretty much a brush to meet anyone's taste. You don't just have to order a custom brush from his "custom" page on his website. If you email him, he will put pretty much any knot in any handle. I could easily own 2 or 3 (or 4) more of Bernd's brushes just for the handle designs. The two I own, though, are both wonderfully ergonomic and pretty easy on the eyes, in my opinion.
-Andy

thanks for the link! those are some of the nicest handles i've seen.

Didn't vote because it only allows one choice. I don't care to choose between Shavemac and Rooney.
desert island scenario...one blush my friend CHOOSE!

Value for the money? You gotta go for the kent Bk4 from auravita. It suits your shaving style as a bowl latherer and will be great with creams. If you decide that you want to start using more soaps in the future, it will work for for that too. Lots of choices on brushes, but for your situation, that's what I would do.
i'm currently compiling a list so u'r input is appreciated

Out of the three Silvertip brushes I own - Shavemac 23mm 177, Rooney 3, 1 Super, and Kent Bk4 I'd give the knod to the Shavemac. It's as soft as the Kent, but lacks the floppieness (good thing) and is nearly as dense as the Rooney. However, it has a higher loft than the Rooney and it's bulbed shaped. The higher loft means it isn't as stiff so it has some give to it and feels really nice on the face. I think the bulb shape offers more accuracy. I get less lather in the nostrils and on my ears using it even though the Shavemac blooms larger than both the Kent Bk4 and Rooney 3, 1.

I'm afraid the Shavemac has made the Kent redundant. I'll continue using the 3, 1 for something different. For some reason I think it really excels when I haven't shaved for a couple of days and have longer whiskers.

For an every day shave brush at this point in time I'd choose the Shavemac.

Is it true, that many companies actually buy unbranded Vulfix brushes and resell them as their own?

Although not a silvertip, I'm thinking the Vulfix 2233 and 2234 look pretty awesome for the $$.

Last edited:
These are the Shavemac's i like from their website. I am not a fan of the white handle's for some reason.
proxy.php

Do the "silver" parts tarnish easily?
proxy.php

This is the Rooney I like the handle and the knot is decent size...not to mention the price!
proxy.php

This Kent Brush made my final list as well
http://www.kentbrushes.com/shopexd.asp?id=193&catid=52
http://www.kentbrushes.com/zoom.asp?smallImage=/kent/thumb/blk4.jpg&largeImage=/kent/zoom/blk4.jpg

did i overlook anything? I forgot to specify that i did not want a white handle brush and it seems that's 99.9999% of what rooney caries

Last edited:
Are we going more towards value or just best brush in general. If we are looking for the best silvertip out there I have to say I love my Rooney..

None of the above. For my money the best silvertip brush out there regardless of price is the Savile Row 3XXX series.:smile:

WooHOO. As an anticipatory owner of a Savile Row (see sig).....THANKS for the post Greyfox, and all those others who vouch for SR. :thumbup:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Savile Row made by Shavemac? And again, you're stuck with whatever the standard loft length happens to be.

-Andy

Top Bottom