What's new

Best shaving wedding gift?

Hey, all. I need some help.

I just started with a Blackbird DE a couple of weeks ago, as a complete newbie (at age 45). Really enjoy it. I've been talking about it to my co-worker, whom I've known for almost 6 years now. He's really shown some interest, as it turns out that there's another co-worker who is a straight razor and DE user. So, the shaving topic comes up at least once a day lately.

Anywho, the original guy I mentioned is about to get married in a couple of months. I'd like to get him a singke blade shave kit as a wedding present. See if it further sparks his interest. I realize that all of this is personal as far as likes, dislikes, etc. So, even if he did like it, i wouldn't expect it to last him forever or immediately be the only thing he ever used. More of a template to springboard off of.

He has a very coarse, thick beard and says that he really struggles with razor bumps and burns. So, he tends to let it grow out simply to avoid shaving.

Any suggestions for a coarse-beard starter kit? I'd like to keep it under $100.

Thanks!

damn under a 100? i was gonna say since the DE and SE razors are the YMMV type, get him a nice custom straight razor. but if u wanna keep it under a 100? i dont know. maybe a razorock?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Ming Shi 2000S adjustable DE saftey razor. This will let him dial in the "aggressiveness" that he prefers. Well within your budget and a great razor to start his wet-shabing adventure.

If you are adverse to Chinese products, you can buy the same from Merkur called the Futur for about 7 or 8 times the price.

Very considerate!!

How about something along these lines:
Razor: FaTip or Merkur 34C (easier to ‘learn’ IMO but milder)
Brush: Simpsons Trafalgar or PetrolHead (synthetics)
Blade sampler pack
La Toja stick (easy to lather and a great way to start)

That should get him started!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Very considerate of you. Here's a few suggestions:

Razor: Rockwell 6C, Edwin Jagger de89, Merkur 34C
Brush: Turn N Shave Chess Piece synthetic (terrific synthetic for $15)
Blade sampler pack
Shave stick of some type, or Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood cream

Or if you're wanting to get a razor only for under $100, then my razor suggestions are:
Rockwell 6S (stainless steel), Edwin Jagger de89, Merkur 34C

If your friend is just starting out, I think getting a nice expensive $100 razor is only going to frustrate him because it may require better technique to get the good shave. The razors I'm suggesting provide good shaves & are somewhat forgiving for beginners.

Let us know what you decide.

It is difficult to purchase a traditional straight razor kit for under $100. It would most likely be used. Not sure if I would give a used item as a wedding gift.

I would suggest a DE razor.

Fatip, Razorock Gamechanger .84

Proraso Pro or Omega boar brush

Razorock XXX soap and matching aftershave- scent is widely liked.

Rockwell 6C (It's adjustable. He'll have plenty of time to chase brass, stainless steel, and titanium razors later).
Razor blade sampler pack to give him a chance to find what works for him.
Stirling synthetic brush (It's synthetic so drying isn't an issue).
Pre de Provence No. 63 (A good soap that shows you cared enough to shop around)

I just did a quick price check on A'zon on all but the brush, and it came to about seventy-five bucks. There's even enough wiggle room to substitute a Simpson Trafalgar for the Stirling synthetic. You could also order a kilo of Tcheon Fung Sing or Vitos Extra Super Coco from Connaught for less than twenty dollars shipped, but that may be overkill and may exceed your spending limit.

Good luck.

Very considerate!!

How about something along these lines:
Razor: FaTip or Merkur 34C (easier to ‘learn’ IMO but milder)
Brush: Simpsons Trafalgar or PetrolHead (synthetics)
Blade sampler pack
La Toja stick (easy to lather and a great way to start)

That should get him started!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Get him started? He’ll fall in love with that kit! Great choices BigJ.

Parker Variant at $57, Omega Pro Boar at $18, Tub of ProRaso Red at $10, sampler of blades and an Osma alum block would be a start and keep you on budget. The variant can be aggressive but if he starts at setting 1 and works his way up, his thick beard won't stand a chance.

For my brother-in-law, I got him a Rockwell 6S with stand last summer. With the 10% off first time buyers coupon, I think it was around $117. He loves it. It was way less than what we spent on the budget bachelorette party, and years later, when everyone has forgotten about the party, he’ll probably still be using the same razor.

Rockwell 6C (It's adjustable. He'll have plenty of time to chase brass, stainless steel, and titanium razors later).
Razor blade sampler pack to give him a chance to find what works for him.
Stirling synthetic brush (It's synthetic so drying isn't an issue).
Pre de Provence No. 63 (A good soap that shows you cared enough to shop around)

I just did a quick price check on A'zon on all but the brush, and it came to about seventy-five bucks. There's even enough wiggle room to substitute a Simpson Trafalgar for the Stirling synthetic. You could also order a kilo of Tcheon Fung Sing or Vitos Extra Super Coco from Connaught for less than twenty dollars shipped, but that may be overkill and may exceed your spending limit.

Good luck.

I think the above is pretty solid advice. I might change a few things, but in general I think it is a great start. The key with this gift is giving him stuff that is EASY to use. Someone new to the game probably doesn't want a super aggressive razor, or a boar brush that has to be broken in. Get him stuff that performs and is easy, and you may have a convert.

Here are my recommendations.

Razor - 6C would be a great choice. 6 levels for him to try if he ends up liking it. I recently got one, and the thing has really impressed me. The other razor I have recommended to people is a Razorock SLOC. It is easy to use and learn on. Will give you more money towards other things at $20 from Italianbarber.

Blades - Sampler pack would be nice, but keep it small. Probably 3 to 5 tucks. This would probably get him a month or two of shaving. He doesn't need to be overwhelmed by having 30 or more different blades to try.

Brush - Definitely a Synthetic of some sort. I would keep the knot size between 22mm and 26mm. They make lather easily, dry fast, and are not very costly. I would go with a Yaqi, West Coast Shaving, Maggards, or Razorock brush. Very easy to use these brushes, and there are a ton to choose from for under $20.

Soap - I would shy away from getting a huge quantity of any one soap. I think Stirling is very easy to lather, as well as the Razorock tubs. Might want to get him something that you have and like, so you can give tips on lathering it?

Cream - You could also add a tub of a good cream, like Taylors of Old Bond, or something similar. Usually very easy to use and lather, so it might be a good thing to have along with the soap.

Good luck with it, and hopefully you will have a convert.

Thank you so much for ALL of the suggestions, folks! I'll see if I can get him to join the board at some point.

Here's what I ordered him:

Parker Variant Adjustable DE safety razor
(Graphite) SKU: VAR-GR

Parker 5-pk of Premium blades (came with razor)

Stirling 4-slot Stainless razor stand
Stirling 2-band Finest Badger brush
(Black.....24 mm x 57 mm)

Stirling Shave soaps (11 different samples)
Blade sampler pack (120 ct)
Alum block (came with blade sampler pack)

Soooooo, yea. I went overboard. Especially with the soap samplers, but I'm happy with it. Hopefully he'll enjoy it.

Personally, I just had the best face-shave of my life tonight. BBS. Love the Blackland Blackbird!

Confidence is key with this hobby, I feel, and I'm starting to gain some. The tough part comes tomorrow with the head-shave.

Again, thanks to all! Fingers crossed that he likes it!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Include a little note with the gift, that at great trouble and expense you have organised free membership for him at the Badger and Blade Forum.

Thank you so much for ALL of the suggestions, folks! I'll see if I can get him to join the board at some point.

Here's what I ordered him:

Parker Variant Adjustable DE safety razor
(Graphite) SKU: VAR-GR

Parker 5-pk of Premium blades (came with razor)

Stirling 4-slot Stainless razor stand
Stirling 2-band Finest Badger brush
(Black.....24 mm x 57 mm)

Stirling Shave soaps (11 different samples)
Blade sampler pack (120 ct)
Alum block (came with blade sampler pack)

Soooooo, yea. I went overboard. Especially with the soap samplers, but I'm happy with it. Hopefully he'll enjoy it.

Personally, I just had the best face-shave of my life tonight. BBS. Love the Blackland Blackbird!

Confidence is key with this hobby, I feel, and I'm starting to gain some. The tough part comes tomorrow with the head-shave.

Again, thanks to all! Fingers crossed that he likes it!

NICE!! Very thoughtful!! :clap: :clap:

Top Bottom