What's new

Best Shaving Soap Under $15, With A Link To A Vendor.

Just received my soaps today from Lisa and man that coconut oude smells amazing. I also got the amber and tobacco, which also smells great, but i don't get much tobacco off it unfortunately.

Cant wait to see how it performs tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Speaking of inexpensive soaps...

omega-herbae-barberia-shavesoap-481-jpg.907190

This soap is very inexpensive, link, and a terrific value for the money. The puck is so large I could only put about half of it in one of my big plastic tubs. I sliced the puck down the middle and grated half. The rest is wrapped up in a drawer.

This is not MdC or SV or Wholly Kaw or Wickham 1912 or Sudsy Soapery, but it's a good soap. For the money it's an incredible soap. I always soak my brush before loading and face lathering. This soap loads better for me if I shake the soaked brush as dry as I can get it. There's a review comparing it favorably to Valobra triple milled soap. I wonder what Italians such as Marco @Marco think about that comparison. I also wonder how Rave @Raven Koenes compares this soap to his SV.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Speaking of inexpensive soaps...

I also wonder how Rave @Raven Koenes compares this soap to his SV.

Happy shaves,

Jim
It's a good inexpensive Italian hard soap and a great value at $12.00 for a 150g's. It is a bit tricky to load enough for three passes. It is however slick and protective with delicious scents. I've never gotten a bad shave from it. How does it compare to the King of Italian shaving soaps Saponificio Varesino? It doesn't compare it's not even close. Long live the King!

Any of the Hasslinger soaps €3,02, currently US $3.52, a puck at TVB shaving.com which is based in Croatia. They’re slick and lather well. I shave daily and a puck will last me a good 5-6 months.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It's a good inexpensive Italian hard soap and a great value at $12.00 for a 150g's. It is a bit tricky to load enough for three passes. It is however slick and protective with delicious scents. I've never gotten a bad shave from it. How does it compare to the King of Italian shaving soaps Saponificio Varesino? It doesn't compare it's not even close. Long live the King!

Ah, we agree.

I never worry about loading enough for all my passes. If it happens, it's fine, but it's easy to revisit the puck. As a face latherer it makes no difference to me.

Omega Herbae.Barberia.ShaveSoap.481..jpg

Still, I'm more impressed with the soap than I initially was. I got a very good shave with it today.

For under $15 it sure is a good one.

upload_2018-8-24_19-21-18.png

Depending on where you shop there are a good many soaps for under $15. These are some I ordered today from Connaught in England. The Valobra was $15.41 with today's exchange rate.

Happy shaves,

Jim

View attachment 894702

I wonder if there is any agreement on some of the best inexpensive shaving soaps?

Seems to me an inexpensive soap should be $15 or less for a full sized puck not including shipping. Of course, if the shipping is very high and the soap can't be obtained without paying very high shipping even a cheap soap would be expensive, so a soap like that shouldn't count as inexpensive.

Many soaps can be combined with other essential items (another brush, an aftershave, a new razor handle, and a hundred blades) to get free shipping. Still, my idea here is to find and discuss soaps which are outright inexpensive.

View attachment 894699

I'll start with one I like which is inexpensive. In my view of them, which is very limited, the Fine shaving soaps are excellent performers. Whenever I use Fine L'Orange I am amazed at how nicely it lathers, how good the residual glide is, etc. The scent is very pleasant but perhaps on the subtle side.

View attachment 894701

Here's a link for the soap.

I grated my puck and put it into a nice aluminum screw topped tin. I bought several of these tins on eBay for a good price.

Any other contenders for good inexpensive shaving soaps?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Stirling, Cella (tub), Haslinger. Those would be my top under $15.

My personal favorite, Sudsy Soapery, is $15.69 for a tub so doesn't exactly qualify but it's close.

A price cutoff is certainly easier than the "best value" shaving soap. I would put all of those same soaps in the best value category too, but Cella in a kilo is the best value of them when bought in the brick. About $0.03 per gram. That approaches Arko and Williams territory on a per gram basis if bought in bulk. But it doesn't fit the under $15 rule. But my best performance per dollar spent for what you get in a soap is Cella.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Stirling, Cella (tub), Haslinger. Those would be my top under $15.

My personal favorite, Sudsy Soapery, is $15.69 for a tub so doesn't exactly qualify but it's close.

A price cutoff is certainly easier than the "best value" shaving soap. I would put all of those same soaps in the best value category too, but Cella in a kilo is the best value of them when bought in the brick. About $0.03 per gram. That approaches Arko and Williams territory on a per gram basis if bought in bulk. But it doesn't fit the under $15 rule. But my best performance per dollar spent for what you get in a soap is Cella.

Yes, I agree.

Even if the soap is ultimately incredibly inexpensive on a per use basis the entry fee to try it is super important to me. Samples help of course. When I ordered a number of samples I focused on the expensive soaps because they are the hardest to try out without spending a lot of money.

Having said that, I've spent way too much on soaps with low entry fees, soaps which turned out to be a waste of money in that I don't like them enough to use the "inexpensive soap." The most expensive soap is the one you buy but don't use.

I also believe but don't have actual data to support my belief that some soaps with relatively low entry fees are very expensive on a per use basis.

Check the prices on Connaught for the large sizes of the other soap(s) they offer, like 3P. Link. Someone posted that brick weighs 750 grams; it's not a kilo.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
upload_2018-8-25_11-28-9.png

This is Cella from a kilo. Link. It's what I purchased yesterday. I've read it is not the same as the soap in the red tub, but I don't know that to be correct. I do know I wanted to try the kilo's soap and this is the cheapest way. If I like it I can buy a really big refill.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom