What's new

Best Shaving Soap? - Make your Own

Re: PGI, do they have events all over? I know there's one in Fargo, ND every other year that I've been to a few times. It's so awesome to see and even cooler when you realize somebody made those shows with their bare hands.
Mason City, IA is one, there was one in Madison, WI, Gillette, WY ... a few others I think. They try to keep them in first of all fireworks friendly areas, and central to membership. There should be a several year schedule on the website.

Since I am not surprised on iota about your experience with the B&B censors, I will bookmark your links before they disappear. Thanks for taking the time for us.

Since I am not surprised on iota about your experience with the B&B censors, I will bookmark your links before they disappear. Thanks for taking the time for us.
I don't blame the Moderators and Admins at all. Everyone has to have rules.

I was asked if I would put it on the Wiki though - so I am working on that as well. I don't think it will be had to find after this.

I noticed thatbin you write up you molded the soap. Was it firm enough to maintain the puck shape or is it pretty soft? Just trying to figure out if I need to have somethingbto put it in while curing or if the puck form will work.

InNae

I did that just to show it could be done. There's a bunch of folks who use Sodium Hydroxide purely out of a belief that they need to in order to make pucks. There may be other good reasons, but making a hard soap is not one of them.

It will still smoosh into a container but it's definitely hard enough to maintain it's shape during cure, shipping and handling. Sort of like Arko, maybe a bit harder.

Thanks. That's what I was hoping for. I'll be using KOH, since it seemed to perform better over on soapmaking forum.

Thanks. That's what I was hoping for. I'll be using KOH, since it seemed to perform better over on soapmaking forum.
Keep in mind it probably works as a combination of the low water content (33%) and the ridiculously high percentage (100) of hard fats. Changes may result in ... um ... changes. :)

FYI - for those interested retail me not has a coupon code for the essential depot

Submit This Coupon
20% Off
Code

SHIP20
Show Coupon Code

I have tried the cylinder method for making pucks (3"). PVC Pipe with a stopper and later used air compressor to extract the soap. Don't use too much pressure or you might end up with soap bullets flying through the air. Didn't happen to me but I read it somewhere. I still had a problem with trapped air bubbles along the sides. If anyone had ideas, I sure would be happy to hear them. Thanks, K

I cut a 3 inch PVC pipe in half lengthwise. I then use a couple of screw clamps to hold the two halves together. I also line the tube with parchment paper. Works very well for hard soaps but I'm not to sure about a soft croap.

I did not have issues with bubbles. I did load the mold when the soap was still quite hot and plastic. I also thoroughly consolidated the soap at each lift: Meaning I banged the hell out of the Pringles can on the counter after each scoop of soap was dropped in. As you do this you can see if there is still entrained air - the surface will "jiggle". You keep beating it till the bubbles pop at the surface.

I tried a PVC pipe with an HDPE liner. It seemed to work fine. I have seen all those videos of people making contraptions to press/blow the core out. I'm not sure why that would be necessary. Freezer paper may not be a good choice because it will take on some moisture but something more substantial should work. Mylar for instance seems readily available. Fondant mats are often mentioned by more experienced soapers than I.

While this is technically a croap, it is quite hard made as shown. There should be no issues making it into pucks but I find that just pressing it on to containers is just easier for me.

On splitting PVC for a mold: Split down one side only and then close with pipe clamps. When you loosen the clamps you will have that kerf-width of room to allow you to slide it out.

Parchment on the inside. I will try it. I used Vaseline for the slip. I wonder how I am boogering it up......I have done this a zillion ways with little difference lol. Thanks!

Vaseline actually sticks to the paper. Try (or envision) putting some vaseline on a smooth surface and placing a bit of parchment paper on it, and then one on the surface without vaseline. If you put some pressure on them and try to move them the one with vaseline will require much more effort.

Is the parchment paper wrinkled when it comes out? Some brands will take on moisture as well. Wet is just like the vaseline - much more drag than dry.

This is where the Pringles can was sort of nice. No liner and I just peeled it off when it was done.

Too bad you can't buy a clean Pringles can.

I don't know how you could possibly get the thing completely clean no matter how much you wash it, given the greasy nature of Pringles.

Too bad you can't buy a clean Pringles can.

I don't know how you could possibly get the thing completely clean no matter how much you wash it, given the greasy nature of Pringles.
I just wiped it out. Why worry about a tiny bit of vegetable oil?

So I had the opportunity to try one of LBussy's soaps yesterday morning through the 2nd soap passaround. The one that i had the chance to use was probably an earlier version of this soap. All that said, after my monthly restraint is over, I'll be purchasing what i need to make this soap. It was very good and well worth the effort to make. Smooth comfortable shave with a nice face feel after the shave. Lee, the Peppernilla that I tried was unique in a good way. I really liked it and in you have any recollection of your scents could you/would you provide info on how madevthe scent.

InNae

I was actually surprised anyone liked the Peppernilla. It was a "I want to TRY something different" effort. I was not that enamored of it but that does highlight that everyone does not have the same tastes. A couple of folks I work with LOVED it so I gave my remaining tins of it to them.

If you want to have that scent, you are in luck. It's available from Soapalooza as their "Peppermint Vanilla" (see what I did there with the name? :thumbup1: )

http://soapalooza.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=446

I used it at .6 oz PPO which, for critical thinkers, is an addition of 3.75% of fragrance oil in relation to the oils/fats used.

Yeah...bit wasn't something that I would have pick, put I really wanted to try the recipe. The recipe is awesome and the scent was surprise.

I know you are clear on the importance of beef tallow in your shaving soap, but if someone wanted to use a vegetable oil/butter in place of the tallow do you have a recommendation?

I know you are clear on the importance of beef tallow in your shaving soap, but if someone wanted to use a vegetable oil/butter in place of the tallow do you have a recommendation?
Cocoa Butter seems the closest in properties to Tallow - although I've never tried it. The recipe would have to be adjusted because the lye requirements are not identical.

My recommendation however is to use Tallow. :tongue_sm

Top Bottom