What's new

Best shaving soap brands ???

I recently got into wet shaving and have been using the Stirling Bay Rum soap ! I find it to be really nice, in both scent and performance !

However I'd like to try some new soaps ! The inconvenience is that I live in Canada, and shipping can be expensive just to order samples here and there !

In terms of lather performance, what are the best brands of soaps out there ?
Thanks !

Italianbarber.com is Canadian, they have a huge selection. Many of their RazoRock products are inexpensive and very effective!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried ordering from Maggard Razors? I think they are in Canada. I could be wrong.

As far as best soaps and brands, it's all a matter of taste. Might be easier to ask what soaps to avoid. Even then things get hairy. I've only run into one soap I'm not fond of. The rest i get great performance out of. What's great is if you buy a soap you don't like you cam PIF, trade, or even use it as a bath soap.

Inexpensive and quite good:

Stirling
PAA
CFG

Moderate priced and great:

Tallow and Steel
Wholly Kaw
Declaration Grooming

Moderate priced and elite:

Barrister & Mann Reserve
Grooming Department

Expensive and great:

SV
Pannacrema Nuavia

YMMV

Soap: Pre de Provence No. 63 is really good(bloom it).
Cream: ToOBS is user friendly and great scents.
Slick

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm using up a bunch of stuff I have been piffed over the years, but the ONLY one I will pay for so far is Arko. It loves me.

Thank you for your suggestions !
Hard Soap
  • Tallow
  • Vegetable
Cream/Croap
  • Tube
  • Tub
Artisan or Commercial
I'd prefer a hard soap rather than a cream ! The rest doesn't matter, but I find it nice to encourage small artisans :) will check that Pré de provence !

Have you tried ordering from Maggard Razors? I think they are in Canada. I could be wrong.

As far as best soaps and brands, it's all a matter of taste. Might be easier to ask what soaps to avoid. Even then things get hairy. I've only run into one soap I'm not fond of. The rest i get great performance out of. What's great is if you buy a soap you don't like you cam PIF, trade, or even use it as a bath soap.
They are US based unfortunately :/ Is there any brands I should avoid then ?

Inexpensive and quite good:

Stirling
PAA
CFG

Moderate priced and great:

Tallow and Steel
Wholly Kaw
Declaration Grooming

Moderate priced and elite:

Barrister & Mann Reserve
Grooming Department

Expensive and great:

SV
Pannacrema Nuavia

YMMV
I do have a PAA and B&M on the way ! How do they compare to the stirling ?

Stirling is an excellent soap for the price point. You’ll likely find B&M is superior (one of my favorites)! Both will get the job done. My opinion of PAA is about the same as Stirling performance wise just not quite as much value. Excellent aftershaves by PAA, however.

Not to limit to those two, but a couple of other Canadian soap makers are Midnight & Two and Henri et Victoria.

For some great aftershaves, check out Maol Grooming.

Most of the soaps mentioned I have tried & enjoy. But I currently rate CBL Premium Soaps as the elite of the elite!

Lots of good suggestions already. My two cents, listed alphabetically:
  • Declaration Grooming
  • Grooming Dept
  • Lisa’s Natural Herbal Creations, new tallow base
At a lower price point:
  • PAA, especially the new CK6 base (vegan)
  • Stick with Stirling and try new scents. You mentioned that you only recently got into wet shaving, and there can be a big advantage to sticking with the same soap base for a while.

I suggest you try topofthechain.ca. They are a Canadian online vendor and they carry many of the soap brands recommended here. B&M, Declararion Grooming, Stirling, Henri et Victoria, wholly Kaw, etc. Great service as well.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I suggest you try topofthechain.ca. They are a Canadian online vendor and they carry many of the soap brands recommended here. B&M, Declararion Grooming, Stirling, Henri et Victoria, wholly Kaw, etc. Great service as well.

Good luck!

+1 Carmine at Top of the Chain is GREAT to work with.

My top three:
1. Grooming Dept
2. Tallow & Steel - (a Canadian maker)
3. Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations (Premium formula)

Others top performers to consider:
Wholly Kaw - donkey milk formula
Declaration Grooming
PannaCrema Nuavia
Sudsy Soapery
Barrister & Mann (Reserve formula)

Midnight & Two is a Canadian Company making some great soaps as well.

Top Bottom