What's new

Best shaving cream/gel/... for headshave?

Hello, i have been using the Proraso white pre-shave, shaving cream (the tube version) and after-balm for my headshave and by using a Gillette Black Beauty and the products are almost empty. So i’m looking to change and get something better i feel like the Proraso dries up to quickly and also it’s not very slick making the shaving a bit uncomfortable and such. What do you guys use and recommend i should?

Hello, i have been using the Proraso white pre-shave, shaving cream (the tube version) and after-balm for my headshave and by using a Gillette Black Beauty and the products are almost empty. So i’m looking to change and get something better i feel like the Proraso dries up to quickly and also it’s not very slick making the shaving a bit uncomfortable and such. What do you guys use and recommend i should?
My experience with Proraso White has been the same - it's sort of dry and lacks in performance compared to Red, which IMHO is their best product. I've used both hard soap and cream and Red (for me) is considerably better.

That said, I have since moved to TOBS creams, my favorite is St. James (love its scent). Blue Nivea is a solid cream, but nowhere near TOBS. You get what you pay for.

My experience with Proraso White has been the same - it's sort of dry and lacks in performance compared to Red, which IMHO is their best product. I've used both hard soap and cream and Red (for me) is considerably better.

That said, I have since moved to TOBS creams, my favorite is St. James (love its scent). Blue Nivea is a solid cream, but nowhere near TOBS. You get what you pay for.

Oh ok though i was the only one who had this problem with Proraso.

Yeah been hearing good things about TOBS gonna give it a try, do i need a pre-shave or some sort or will the shave gonna be great with just the TOBS Cream?

Oh ok though i was the only one who had this problem with Proraso.

Yeah been hearing good things about TOBS gonna give it a try, do i need a pre-shave or some sort or will the shave gonna be great with just the TOBS Cream?
Look, don't get me wrong. Proraso products are fine merchandise, there is no problem with them. We are talking nuances here, at best.

That said, many folks consider TOBS creams the very best money can buy, so no way to go wrong with any of their product offerings.

As for pre-shave, better not to ask, as you'll start another war on the subject 😂 😂 😂

Me, I've been using pre-shave creams since I went back to wet-shaving, always. So, I can only recommend using it, but then many ppl say it's totally useless. Go figure... I would agree that the better the soap/cream, the less need for a pre-shave. That said, Proraso Red pre-shave is fabulous. I didn't like the White and Green to me is just too strong, I don't really like the Eucalyptus scent, it's an overkill. Menthol is killed by excessive presence of Eucalyptus. I haven't tried the blue yet, as it just came out.

If you're getting a TOBS cream, I'd buy a TOBS pre-shave oil or gel: Pre-shave treatments - https://www.tayloroldbondst.co.uk/collections/pre-shave-treatments

If you want mega slickness and comfort go for Clarins Ease Oil and Shave Gel. Post shave sensation, hydration, and feel is fantastic. Expensive, yes, but once you've used it you'll know why.

I keep it very basic, Williams Mug, Arko and sometimes Proraso red. No pre- and Floid or Proraso green as AS splash. Williams Mug & Arko both get me a nice fatty/slick lather, Proraso red is a tiny bit lighter but still plenty rich.

Ok, i’m getting the TOBS cream. As for pre-shave i’ll first start by just using the TOBS cream and after that maybe get the TOBS pre-shave

consider an artisan soap, but they are not all created equal. grooming department duck fat or another GD. lather up and let sit a min or two, then relather. I found them to be more protective and have better skin after care.

I use Kiss My Face in a pump bottle. I have also used Gillette Pure, and Headblade Headslick. All three work well. The KMF pump bottle is convenient and comes in a bunch of scents.

Very few soaps work well. Tabac and Arko were about the only ones that lasted long enough for me. For creams, I think the green and red Proraso are good enough. Palmolive and Nivea are also pretty good. The best I've used was Lanolizado, which I'm not even sure is available anymore, but my old tube still spits out a good product. It's chunky and more solid than cream, but it eventually works up to a lasting lather. The Arko creams are not bad either.

Honestly, it's tough to get a lather to really work well and last that long without using a lot of product. That's why I buy some economical brands and use generous quantities. Also, I shave my head first because that's where the drying happens the fastest, while the lather on my face lasts longer.

Top Bottom