What's new

Best shavette for a beginner?

Hi all. I’ve been thinking about trying out a shavette in the near future for some variety and because i’ve always wanted to learn how to use a “cutthroat” razor. Straights have always interested me but i honestly don’t have the time or inclination to maintain them so i figured a shavette is the next best thing. Figured i’d ask what the knowledgable gents if this forum would recommend i start with? Any/all imput is appreciated!

I have a few shavettes.
Full DE, half DE, Antelope (long) blade.
All very good in their own way, the full DE Italian Universal shavette is probably the best of this type for me.

But the one I reach for the most is my Feather Artist Club SS. I can get as good a shave with mine than just about any other razor I have used. The blades are more expensive, but they last a lot longer than the DE type of shavettes.

YMMV though. :001_cool:

Thanks guys! What would you say makes a “good” shavette? For DE i get that blade angle, weight and comb design all factor in, but what about shavettes is considered key criteria?

Also, what are the advantages/disadvantages of the DE vs half DE vs the long blade? Sorry for the questions but i know nothing about shavettes. Thanks!

Lately I have been getting good results with the CJB WH100B, which is a Korean copy of the Feather Artist Club non-folding shavette.

One of the advantages there is that you can use the Feather Proguard blades, which are aimed at reducing bloodshed.

The grip on the CJB may not be as good as the much more expensive Feather. but I find the maneuverability of this shavette good, especially since I still really haven't tried to learn using my non-dominant hand.

The CJB-Proguard combo has been enjoyable.

The Artist Club and compatible razors:

Feather SS
FEATHER DX
Kai Captain
Kai Excelia
CJB
Kamisori Silver

all take the long narrow blades that are used in modern SE razors. The blades are thicker and behave more like the edge of traditional straight. In fact they are very similar in feel to stainless straight razors honed on lapping film and lapped on pasted balsa.

I've used a Parker and Feather AC. Feather is more money but hands down a better shaver and easier to maneuver.

My opinion, for what its worth, is just get a real straight. I have a Fili shavette and it has bit me more than any of the straights i have (ive been using straights for sometime). I would hinge a bet that there are more people that gave up straights trying to start with a shavette then not.

Going all in on a real straight doesnt have to be expensive with the many great folks in the industry such as Whipped Dog and others on here.

YMMV of course......

Thanks guys! What would you say makes a “good” shavette? For DE i get that blade angle, weight and comb design all factor in, but what about shavettes is considered key criteria?
Like DE razors, there is no such thing as a "good" shavette. Goodness is a very personal evaluation that varies based on what you like in a shave experience.

Full disclosure: I don't believe in beginner razors - it's a ludicrous concept to me. Granted some are harder for a beginner than others, so proficiency might take longer, but once you're there, you're there.

Like DE razors, there are light shavettes, and heavy ones. Chances are good (but not 100%) that if you like a heavy DE, you'll like a heavy shavette.

There are low exposure shavettes, which tend to be milder and more forgiving, and high exposure shavettes, that give beautifully smooth and efficient shaves, but can be blood thirsty.

There are wide full-blade shavettes, and narrower half-bladed ones. The wide ones are easier to control for many people, and the narrow ones are more manoeuvrable.

The blade profile can be super thin and flat, triangular, or "hollow ground". Each feels different.

My top three shavettes, in no order because each satisfies a different mood, are the Universal full-blade (low exposure, very smooth and safe), the Spilo Magic Razor (aggressive, high exposure blood thirsty beast with a very satisfying sound), and the vintage Weck Sextoblade (naked hair shaper blade, not DE blade, shaves like Frameback straight, not the easiest to start you journey with, although I did. If you're lucky, you'll get one with the removable guard, which makes it the easiest to learn with)

My opinion, for what its worth, is just get a real straight. I have a Fili shavette and it has bit me more than any of the straights i have (ive been using straights for sometime). I would hinge a bet that there are more people that gave up straights trying to start with a shavette then not.

Going all in on a real straight doesnt have to be expensive with the many great folks in the industry such as Whipped Dog and others on here.

YMMV of course......

The Filli shavette is the type where the blade holder slides out and yes these are terrible for full shaves. Barbers use them to trim hairlines and necks.
The type that have a clam top or hood that cover both sides of the razor hold the blades much better and have much more rigidity.
The Universals are very good.

I’ll chime in here and throw my hat in with the folks who say a Feather AC or equivalent shavette. I’ve barely put mine down since I got the western style Feather SS version. Love that thing!

Like DE razors, there is no such thing as a "good" shavette. Goodness is a very personal evaluation that varies based on what you like in a shave experience.

Full disclosure: I don't believe in beginner razors - it's a ludicrous concept to me. Granted some are harder for a beginner than others, so proficiency might take longer, but once you're there, you're there.

Like DE razors, there are light shavettes, and heavy ones. Chances are good (but not 100%) that if you like a heavy DE, you'll like a heavy shavette.

There are low exposure shavettes, which tend to be milder and more forgiving, and high exposure shavettes, that give beautifully smooth and efficient shaves, but can be blood thirsty.

There are wide full-blade shavettes, and narrower half-bladed ones. The wide ones are easier to control for many people, and the narrow ones are more manoeuvrable.

The blade profile can be super thin and flat, triangular, or "hollow ground". Each feels different.

My top three shavettes, in no order because each satisfies a different mood, are the Universal full-blade (low exposure, very smooth and safe), the Spilo Magic Razor (aggressive, high exposure blood thirsty beast with a very satisfying sound), and the vintage Weck Sextoblade (naked hair shaper blade, not DE blade, shaves like Frameback straight, not the easiest to start you journey with, although I did. If you're lucky, you'll get one with the removable guard, which makes it the easiest to learn with)

I totally agree that the term “beginner” razor is a misnomer. The learning curve is what it is regardless. I guess i should have titled it “cheap but proficient.” The fearher ac that many suggested looks absolutely beautiful, but i’m not comfortable spending more than $50 on something that’s to me going to be simply for variety and “fun.” I know the adage “buy it once buy it right” is often true, but i already have all the DE razors i’ll ever need that do the same job so this is more an addition than my main razor. The ones you suggested seem reasonably priced and the weck has come up a few times but they seem kind of difficult to find. Thanks again for all the suggestions. I’ll have to decide whether i want to give this shavette thing a go or not.

There are a couple of ways to answer the question. Any of the shavettes...well most of them...will work well enough for you if you are willing to ride the learning curve.

From an economic perspective, e.g. low initial investment for something you may or may not like to use longer term then the Parker, Universal, Dovo, as well as many others should be fine. DE blades are almost free after you get your blade holder of choice. Personally I prefer the Focus Al over the Universal even though it costs more. (Those are the 2 DE shavettes I currently own).

From a long term usage perspective, higher quality item perspective, and ultimately works better (closer to the geometry of a traditional straight) then the Feather AC or any of its competitors is best IMO. The blades are 2-10 times more expensive that a bargain DE blade but in the long term still a reasonable cost. At ~$0.50-$1.00 per blade depending on source. When buying in bulk can get cost down much closer $1-$2 per month and consuming 2-4 blades/month (I use 1-2 blades/month that probably cost me $0.60-0.80 each). In any case it is a reasonable cost when compared to a modern cartridge system or what one spends on soap/cream/aftershave each year. With no other equipment needed to maintain a traditional straight it is an appealing setup.

So i had completely forgotten that my father has an unused straight razor that he bought and decided he didn’t want anywhere near his neck hahaha. I think my gameplan will be to try that and if i like it, spring for a feather a/c as many have recommended.

So i had completely forgotten that my father has an unused straight razor that he bought and decided he didn’t want anywhere near his neck hahaha. I think my gameplan will be to try that and if i like it, spring for a feather a/c as many have recommended.

Nice! Just make sure it’s honed and you’ve got at least a strop to get you through your first dozen or so shaves.

Top Bottom