What's new

Best shavette for a beginner?

I guess i should have titled it “cheap but proficient.” The fearher ac that many suggested looks absolutely beautiful, but i’m not comfortable spending more than $50 on something that’s to me going to be simply for variety and “fun.”
Cheap but proficient describes the Spilo Magic Razor if you get a clone. For under $2 shipped, there's no excuse not to get one. Think of it as a disposable tester at that price. If you hate it, no expensive drawer shark, but if you like it, it gives you a baseline for when you buy a more permanent one. Want something heavier or lighter? Milder or more aggressive? Does the short blade bother you and you're looking for something longer.

I bought one like this and it's become one of my favorites.

Straight Edge Stainless Steel Barber Razor Folding Shaving Shave Knife Cream Hot | eBay

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but can i use a leather belt?

I highly recommend against it. Get a proper strop. A belt is not designed for razor stropping. Beware the $3 ebay "strops" which are utter garbage. I have seen a few in the $10 to $15 range that appeared usable and rolling the dice I picked up a couple to give away with my razors that actually were usable as strops. Larry at www.whippeddog.com can hook you up cheap too. Cheap is good, for your first strop, as long as it is actually a strop, made and sold by someone who actually shaves with a straight and understands what is needed. You are somewhat likely to destroy your first strop while learning, so no need to blow $150 on a super nice one early in the game. I make my own strops but then again I recognize a usable strop when I see or use one, and am not stabbing in the dark, just cutting a strip of random animal hide and calling it a strop. DIY is practical, after you have been shaving in the manly manner for a few months.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Cheap but proficient describes the Spilo Magic Razor if you get a clone. For under $2 shipped, there's no excuse not to get one. Think of it as a disposable tester at that price. If you hate it, no expensive drawer shark, but if you like it, it gives you a baseline for when you buy a more permanent one. Want something heavier or lighter? Milder or more aggressive? Does the short blade bother you and you're looking for something longer.

I bought one like this and it's become one of my favorites.

Straight Edge Stainless Steel Barber Razor Folding Shaving Shave Knife Cream Hot | eBay

I agree on the "Magic Razor". That's what I travel with. I no longer support the main brick and mortar vendor of this razor though. In the future I will go with a knockoff. But one attractive feature is the low price. You should get two, so when you snap a blade in half you have a place to put both halves. This is a perfectly adequate shavette. I use Feather DE blades, which are surprisingly cheap on fleabay by the 100. Only caveat is take care to mount the blade correctly or you will pay in blood.

Not to start an argument but these Magic razors are the worse type of shavette on the market IMO.
I have lent 3 different shavettes at a time out to others over the years to people who wanted to try it and got the same feedback from them.
Care should be taken if you decide to try this model in that you should "Knock the leading corner off" on a stone of some sort or you will get bit.
They hold the blade the least secure of almost any model out there. Not that these are not usable but you may be turned off by the shave you get from one of these compared to another type.
Just so you are aware.

Not to start an argument but these Magic razors are the worse type of shavette on the market IMO.
I have lent 3 different shavettes at a time out to others over the years to people who wanted to try it and got the same feedback from them.
Care should be taken if you decide to try this model in that you should "Knock the leading corner off" on a stone of some sort or you will get bit.
They hold the blade the least secure of almost any model out there. Not that these are not usable but you may be turned off by the shave you get from one of these compared to another type.
Just so you are aware.
I wholeheartedly agree about rounding off the blade corners. I recommend it all the time, but I use sharp scissors.

As for holding the blade insecurely, huh? Mine holds the blade super tight. If yours is loose, pinch the two sides with pliers and a rag - it tightens everything up and the problem is gone.

All that being said, if a person needs immediate satisfaction, a shavette is not for them. This type of shavette rewards practice.

IMO, the Feather Artist Club or something similar that uses the Artist Club blades are best because they are so sharp, so easy to use and dont have the square corners that DE blades do, so you wont nick yourself as much.
Yes, they are a bit more expensive but you get what you pay for.

That one is nice because it has the little tabs to cover the blade edges. It shaves very similarly to the Spilo Magic.

Its only drawback is that unlike the Dovo, you can't buy replacement plastic inserts. Mind you, it might not be a problem because they don't seem to wear out or break.

At $13 USD a pop, you could always pick up a seven-day set and wait and see if the plastic inserts will hold up over the ages. If they didn't, the replacement inserts wouldn't have been needed anyway.

I wholeheartedly agree about rounding off the blade corners. I recommend it all the time, but I use sharp scissors.

As for holding the blade insecurely, huh? Mine holds the blade super tight. If yours is loose, pinch the two sides with pliers and a rag - it tightens everything up and the problem is gone.

All that being said, if a person needs immediate satisfaction, a shavette is not for them. This type of shavette rewards practice.

You can only pinch the sides so much as you still need to be able to slide the cartridge back in. If it can slide freely then it is not as tight as other styles. Try sliding a blade in the other types and see the difference.
If with one the blade will move and with the other the blade will not, which one holds the blade better?

This is just my view and reasoning.

You can only pinch the sides so much as you still need to be able to slide the cartridge back in. If it can slide freely then it is not as tight as other styles.
If the cartridge slides in freely, you're doing something wrong - if that's the case i agree the blade will be loose.

You should pinch it enough so that the sides of the shank apply enough pressure to hold the cartridge snugly. The cartridge should slide in with some resistance, forcing the two sides apart as the cartridge slides in so the spring effect holds it tightly.

This style shavette is the single most popular barber razor sold today. If it didn't work, it wouldn't still be sold, and neither would so many clones exist.

If the cartridge slides in freely, you're doing something wrong - if that's the case i agree the blade will be loose.

You should pinch it enough so that the sides of the shank apply enough pressure to hold the cartridge snugly. The cartridge should slide in with some resistance, forcing the two sides apart as the cartridge slides in so the spring effect holds it tightly.

This style shavette is the single most popular barber razor sold today. If it didn't work, it wouldn't still be sold, and neither would so many clones exist.

Like I said, not looking to start an argument. Its just my opinion.
I have one of these and can use it just fine but there are certainly better options.
I have never seen a clone of this style.

Hi all. I’ve been thinking about trying out a shavette in the near future for some variety and because i’ve always wanted to learn how to use a “cutthroat” razor. Straights have always interested me but i honestly don’t have the time or inclination to maintain them so i figured a shavette is the next best thing. Figured i’d ask what the knowledgable gents if this forum would recommend i start with? Any/all the 1st one

I bought one off Amazon a few weeks back and after 3 shaves I liked it so much I bought an Irving. You are welcome to have my original one if you like, I can send it with some blades

I said I have not seen a clone of this style because I have found no conclusive proof that the "magic" razor was the first of its kind.
I have seen several mfg's with the same styling.
Of course none of this is important when the question was about which style is better and recommended to try.
I have seen very few people suggest this as the model to get when there are such better ones out there.
Again, my opinion.

M

member 119848

I would recomend a shavette taking the Artist Club blades. If you start with the Feather ProGuards you will get more safety and a good level of smoothness. The Feather SS is very well built, gives smooth shaves thanks to the lip, and isn´t so costy as the DX.
The Feather SS is a good way to get hooked on straight razor shaving :001_smile

Top Bottom