What's new

Best shave so far with Perma Sharp blade

Since returning to DE shave a couple months ago, I've been working my way through different samples. I'm very happy I upgraded to the Parker Variant. This morning I used a Perma-Sharp blade for the first time. Wow! I have to say that this was my best shave so far. I used a Kai blade for the last few days and that was also very good, but the Perma-Sharp was very smooth and sharp. I have a very coarse beard. I have some spots on my neck that are next to impossible to get smooth. Perma-Sharp did a really good job getting at those spots. It was as close to BBS as I've gotten so far. Definitely BBS on most spots. I still need to try Personna Red and some of the Rapira blades in the pack. But I would definitely say that Perma Sharp has been the best that I've tried for my beard so far.

Nice! It's always fun trying something new and not having it go badly.

Just be careful with the Perma Sharps, they can be short lived. With my tough beard, and low cost, I would bin it after 2 shaves max. They get sharper which is when they get dangerous. Try out a Nacet, they are meant for people with tough beards and made in the same factory. If you want sharp and long lasting, try BIC plats or Wizamets.

I got 15 shaves out of my last Perma-Sharp.
Usually get as many out of a BIC, last BIC only lasted 8 shaves.
Haven't used a Nacet since last year, binned it after 12 shaves.

Last edited:
I’m a big fan of the PermaSharp blade. Bin it if you feel tugging, blades are too inexpensive to suffer a rough shave when you can just throw in a new blade.

Blade preference is very individual and subjective. Keep track of the ones you like. Some razor and blade combos work amazingly well and then you grab a different razor and your go to blade and it’s not the match made in heaven that you thought it would be. No problem grab a different blade.

The Perma-Sharp name can be used for:

proxy.php
or
proxy.php

It's hard to tell which one people are referring to sometimes.

Just be careful with the Perma Sharps, they can be short lived. With my tough beard, and low cost, I would bin it after 2 shaves max. They get sharper which is when they get dangerous. Try out a Nacet, they are meant for people with tough beards and made in the same factory. If you want sharp and long lasting, try BIC plats or Wizamets.

Thanks so much for your Nacet recommendation! First shave was good. Second shave today was even better. Only one nick in both shaves. Very smooth. I like it a lot so far. Could be a new go to blade for me. Thanks again!

Since returning to DE shave a couple months ago, I've been working my way through different samples. I'm very happy I upgraded to the Parker Variant. This morning I used a Perma-Sharp blade for the first time. Wow! I have to say that this was my best shave so far. I used a Kai blade for the last few days and that was also very good, but the Perma-Sharp was very smooth and sharp. I have a very coarse beard. I have some spots on my neck that are next to impossible to get smooth. Perma-Sharp did a really good job getting at those spots. It was as close to BBS as I've gotten so far. Definitely BBS on most spots. I still need to try Personna Red and some of the Rapira blades in the pack. But I would definitely say that Perma Sharp has been the best that I've tried for my beard so far.
Amazon had them on sale....

The Perma-Sharp name can be used for:

proxy.php
or
proxy.php

It's hard to tell which one people are referring to sometimes.
Maybe you could also help me out. I was checking out what came in my sample pack versus some of the recommendations on here, when I realized I'm getting 7o'clock green that are super stainless, and that 7'oclock green permasharps exist. Is it two different names for the same razorblade, or they are seperate. It's confusing, because I've heard people repeatedly refer to Gillette 7'oclock greens, without making a distinction as to whether it was permasharps or super stainless. I was going to just add a post, but since you're already discussing different types, I figured I'd just reply here.

Maybe you could also help me out. I was checking out what came in my sample pack versus some of the recommendations on here, when I realized I'm getting 7o'clock green that are super stainless, and that 7'oclock green permasharps exist. Is it two different names for the same razorblade, or they are seperate. It's confusing, because I've heard people repeatedly refer to Gillette 7'oclock greens, without making a distinction as to whether it was permasharps or super stainless. I was going to just add a post, but since you're already discussing different types, I figured I'd just reply here.

They are completely different blades.

The 7 o'clock Permasharp Stainless blades are made in India. The packaging and ink imprint look like this (with terrible potato-quality images actually pulled from the Gillette India site):

permsharp_india_package_400x257.jpg
permsharp_india_blade_400x369.jpg

Meanwhile, the 7 o'clock Super Stainless blades are made in Russia. The packaging and ink imprint look like this (courtesy of a lovely photo originally found in this thread started by @ShavingByTheNumbers):

full.jpg

On a side note: The gold-and-red-packaged Perma-Sharps were originally manufactured in Turkey. But, in 2003, Gillette bought the Perma-Sharp brand and moved production to the PPI plant in St. Petersburg, Russia... the same factory that makes the 7 o'clock Super Stainless.

They are completely different blades.

The 7 o'clock Permasharp Stainless blades are made in India. The packaging and ink imprint look like this (with terrible potato-quality images actually pulled from the Gillette India site):

View attachment 1434130 View attachment 1434131

Meanwhile, the 7 o'clock Super Stainless blades are made in Russia. The packaging and ink imprint look like this (courtesy of a lovely photo originally found in this thread started by @ShavingByTheNumbers):

View attachment 1434133

On a side note: The gold-and-red-packaged Perma-Sharps were originally manufactured in Turkey. But, in 2003, Gillette bought the Perma-Sharp brand and moved production to the PPI plant in St. Petersburg, Russia... the same factory that makes the 7 o'clock Super Stainless.
Thanks, good to know. A couple of more clarifications needed. When people just say '7'oclock - green', which would be the likely one they are referring to? Also, including all the ymmv/imho/etc... is there a general sense that one is noticably better than the other, or they are about the same, or a wild pro/con fight because people are on opposite end of opinion?

Thanks for the help so far. The ones that will be coming in my sample pack are definitely the super stainless, and between whah I already own and what is coming I won't need blades for awhile, but I try to stay educated at least on the more known/favoured brands.

Thanks, good to know. A couple of more clarifications needed. When people just say '7'oclock - green', which would be the likely one they are referring to? Also, including all the ymmv/imho/etc... is there a general sense that one is noticably better than the other, or they are about the same, or a wild pro/con fight because people are on opposite end of opinion?

Thanks for the help so far. The ones that will be coming in my sample pack are definitely the super stainless, and between whah I already own and what is coming I won't need blades for awhile, but I try to stay educated at least on the more known/favoured brands.

It's a toss-up, as far as I can tell. We almost always end up having discussions like this whenever someone mentions "7 o'clock Green" blades without specifying which ones they mean. Just one added word (i.e. Indian or Russian, Permasharp or Super) would provide some much-needed clarity.

As for which one is better... it's another toss-up. Some people hate to invoke "YMMV", but it really does apply here.

Personally, I've had better results with Gillette's Russian-made blades (the red-and-gold Perma-Sharp Super is currently my favourite). I suspect that you will like the Super Stainless. I found it to be consistently smooth with good longevity.

However, the forum is full of people who prefer the Indian-made blades. Who knows? If you can get your hands on a Permasharp, you might fall into that camp, as well! 😁

Top Bottom