What's new

Best Sandalwood Cologne?

+1 on the Tam Dao.

It is the real deal! You say you like Sandalwood but this sandalwood is not like what you are use to when you smell C&E for instance. At first I did not know what to think about Tam Dao but I have grown to love it. At first application it smells a little to "earthy or musky" to me but it dries down to something that is fantastic. It is not terribly expensive.

By the way B&B does contain a lot of other things but after the dry-down it is sandalwood to my smell. It is the bomb and I am always looking for more.

Take Care,
Richard

I would recommend Tam dao, as it is very sandalwoody. http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122809.html

As for AOS Sandalwood being synthetic, AOS claims that they put real a really high concentration of sandalwood essential oils.
http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122363/reviews.html

I don't know what the deal with the formulation is, but I don't think it smells remotely department store-y, nor do I think it smells synthetic, personally. They may use aromachecmicals, but I have no problem with them. Some are quite nice, and when used properly can help fix a fragrance, add complexity, roundness or other desirable traits.

My recommendation is to go and buy some mysore sandalwood oil. Its about $30-40 for 3ml, but the concentration is extremely high, so its not as expensive as it seems.

This, I don't know about... for one thing, I think many folks would find a true single-note sandalwood a touch boring. Most fragrances typically need something added to act as a fixative, and certainly many things benefit from a touch of added complexity, be it a bit of musk, or some floral elements, or more woods to round it out, etc. Also, there's a pretty big difference in scent from one variety of sandalwood to the next, so finding one you like, then obtaining the perfumer's alcohol and mixing, etc. can be a bit of a pain.

Please, who is B&B? Thanks.

B&B = Badger & Blade. It's a proprietary cologne that was designed by (I think - please correct me if I'm wrong) 1 or 2 guys on this site in concert with one of the vendors (QED). Check out the review.

From what I can tell a limited batch (or batches? not sure. someone with more history here than I is sure to know the particulars.) was produced initially and sold out. After a long hiatus and a lot of whining by a bunch of members (but not me. no sir. no way. :whistling:), another limited batch of the stuff was produced this past May. It too sold out fast due to the near-mythic proportions this cologne has attained.

Mythic indeed. The cologne is currently unobtanium. But you can still experience the scent by treating yourself to a tub or a stick of the B&B shaving soap from QED. The scent of the soap is identical to that of the cologne. It smells incredible. And hey, it also makes for a great shave. :wink:

True sandalwood is a single note but because it is pure it will have more complexity than most single note colognes. I have tried some synthetics and they do not have the same body that pure sandalwood has.

Later,
Richard

My vote would have to go with old stock Floris as well. It's a shame they don't make it anymore. The last of the true Sandalwoods.

I am glad I picked up a bottle when I did....

man I wish I could try some of that Floris stuff.
Are you sure it is better than Tam Dao? That stuff is a real sandalwood powerhouse (thought it is expensive).

I like Tam Dao and recently sold my bottle. It's a nice scent but I preferred Floris and SMN.
I agree with your post (though I have never sampled the SMN), there are better sandalwoods than Tam Dao. Still I find that one to be the closest to the Essential oils I have tested.

I agree with your post (though I have never sampled the SMN), there are better sandalwoods than Tam Dao. Still I find that one to be the closest to the Essential oils I have tested.

Let me know what you find. I'm a big fan of Tam Dao, but would really be interested in something even more authentic.

For the other posters in reference to the authentic EO being used as cologne, I've done this and was very satisfied with the results. Alas, my little bottle ran out :frown:.

For some reason I have always loved Trumper's sandalwood, even before I decided to be a wet shaver. Unfortunately, the Mrs hates it.

Out of curiosity, is the oft-mentioned Arden Sandalwood made of mostly synthetic ingredients? Or is there real bergamot, lavender, sandalwood, etc in there?

I read somewhere that Diptyque uses only natural fragrances, is that true? Does Tam Dao really smell like real sandalwood? By that I mean, once it dries down does it have a similar aroma to sandalwood soap from India that is made with real sandalwood oil?

Are most $40 and under fragrances like Crabtree, Taylors, D.r. Harris, etc. made up of primarily synthetic fragrance chemicals?

hands down, my vote goes to Art of Shaving sandalwood!!

second place goes to Taylor's Sandalwood.

$aos sandalwood dec 27 2013.jpg

$coates sandalwood rubberset feather artist club d r harris taylor of old bond street may 12 2016.jp

For me, the best sandalwood fragrance is Egoiste, an absolute classic. Not too heavy on the sandalwood and blended perfectly with vanilla and hints of rose. Great scent

Top Bottom