What's new

Best safety razors for tough coarse whiskers?

I'm 83 years old and have been a daily wet shaver since age 15. Our whiskers tend to become more tough and difficult to shave as we age. I got to thinking, what razors do I find most effective and comfortable for cutting my coarse facial hair nowadays? (I have about 85 razors, and most well known blades work similarly well for me).

DE Razors:

Gillette New Improved from the 1920's
Barbasol Floating Head from the 1930's
Gillette NEW short comb from the late 1930's
1946-47 Gillette Aristocrat
Any adjustable DE razor on a proper setting

Injector Razors:

Schick type E from 1930's
Any adjustable injector razor on a proper setting

SE Razors:

Gem Micromatic Open Comb
1924 Ever-Ready aka "Shovel Head"

You could try more pre shave preparation? Try rubbing hand soap/shaving soap into the whiskers to soften them and hot flannels for better exfoliation beforehand. Aloe Vera gel also helps, rubbed in to the whiskers as a 'bed' for the lather to sit on.

Just my experience!

I would try some pre shave soaps first to soak and soften that barb wire. It might surprise you how well your existing gear can cope with the result

Highly recommend
Stirling mentholated pre shave soap
Paa mentholated ice cube 2.0
Both exist in non mentholated version.
I simply rubb them in on a wet face or better use a sisal scrubb spongue to do that.
After 2 minutes lather normal soap on top.

Alternatives
A hot towel or shower as a start helps
Use your normal soap as a pre shave 2 min rinse it of and lather

For the de razors try different blades more to the efficient side of the spectrum (feather, bic, Kai, nacet)

Rockwell 6S/6C which is a very versatile reazor goes from mild to medium aggressive another good adjustable is the Merkur Progress

I'm 83 years old and have been a daily wet shaver since age 15. Our whiskers tend to become more tough and difficult to shave as we age. I got to thinking, what razors do I find most effective and comfortable for cutting my coarse facial hair nowadays? (I have about 85 razors, and most well known blades work similarly well for me).

DE Razors:

Gillette New Improved from the 1920's
Barbasol Floating Head from the 1930's
Gillette NEW short comb from the late 1930's
1946-47 Gillette Aristocrat
Any adjustable DE razor on a proper setting

Injector Razors:

Schick type E from 1930's
Any adjustable injector razor on a proper setting

SE Razors:

Gem Micromatic Open Comb
1924 Ever-Ready aka "Shovel Head"

Great list!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I humbly suggest considering a slant or FaTip simply based on function.

However, my preference is the 1946-47 Aristocrat which is also a work of art!

Great list!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I humbly suggest considering a slant or FaTip simply based on function.

However, my preference is the 1946-47 Aristocrat which is also a work of art!
Brother J,

I have several slant razors, a Merkur 37 made in Germany and a 1936 Krect Shave made in Portland, Oregon. I enjoy them, but they are not quite as close shaving as the specimens I listed above.

Brother J,

I have several slant razors, a Merkur 37 made in Germany and a 1936 Krect Shave made in Portland, Oregon. I enjoy them, but they are not quite as close shaving as the specimens I listed above.

Sir, I bow to your expertise! :a29: :a29:

However, that Aristocrat is open to question; send it my way for some R&R!!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
At 83 years of age and shaving since the age of 15, I doubt that santmariasteve is in need of advice. I read his post as offering recommendations to the reader, rather than seeking them. Maybe I misunderstood. 👍

+1 and an Amen!

Respect to the wisdom @santamariasteve brings to the conversation. Currently 66 years old - I pray that I am still alive, kicking and wet shaving at 83 years old. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom