What's new

Best safety razor from 1970?

I regularly see people mentioning acquiring a razor from their birth year. I was born long ago and far away, in a different age*, 1970, + am wondering what the best safety razor made in my birth year would be. Nothing plastic, please- to me, at least, plastic=cheap, especially as compared to the bomb-proof stainless steel razors I've collected to this point.

Дякую**,
-Z

* Extra credit for anyone who can identify this song reference
** Ukrainian for exactly what you'd expect at the end of a post asking for help; pronounced "dyakuyu"

R

romsitsa

Hello, Wilkinson Sticky is a solid performer, maybe Merkur Progress or Gillette Slim twist.

I regularly see people mentioning acquiring a razor from their birth year. I was born long ago and far away, in a different age*, 1970, + am wondering what the best safety razor made in my birth year would be. Nothing plastic, please- to me, at least, plastic=cheap, especially as compared to the bomb-proof stainless steel razors I've collected to this point.

Дякую**,
-Z

* Extra credit for anyone who can identify this song reference
** Ukrainian for exactly what you'd expect at the end of a post asking for help; pronounced "dyakuyu"
Let's see. 1970. It was a good year I recall, I was 9 and UFO was on the TV. Great English cult sci-fi classic. I had a poster on the wall that you glued little cards to, all about space. Valiant &TV21, a comic I got every week gave away the cards.

The Super Speeds had cheapened a little by 1970, they had partly black aluminum handles. Heads seem ok though. They are reported to be light.

The Super Adjustable 84 and 109 (incorrectly termed Black Beauty) was the last Gillette adjustable. They were made from late 1968 into the early 80's I think. The numbers refers to the length of handle in mm's. Again much more cheaply made than the Slim they replaced. Aluminum replaced brass for the handle and many interior parts. The bottom locking mechanism can seperate from the handle. A good specimen though is very nice. They are quite pricy.

You can't go wrong with an all metal 1970 Tech. They were still being pumped out by the 100,000's. Most common on a certain auction site.

Last edited:
Well, lookee here at what I found. It fills 2 things I'd wanted: my birth year of 1970, plus a version of a razor that I don't currently have (the black handle). I figure that, being aluminium, it's going to be nowhere near as heavy as the ones I like, but the principle is there. And the price was right!

2022-06-02 13_06_03-GILLETTE ~ VINTAGE GILLETTE DATE CODE P4 BLACK HANDLE SAFETY RAZOR _ eBay ...jpg

-Z

I'm fond of my "birthday razor." From its date code, it turns out that, not only was it "born" in my birth year of 1970, but in the same quarter as well, the 4th. Yes, it's lighter than I typically prefer, but such is the case w/all Super Speeds, I've found.

Thx to everyone for their help!

-Z

Top Bottom