What's new

Best razors for beard and goatie shaping

I don't really shave fully as I like to keep a beard and mustache. However, I find it difficult to shape it accurately with a cartridge razor.

Recently I started using a basic shavette that takes DE blades snapped in half. I am still learning with it but found the sliding holder can slide out of the razor.

But with the half DE blade, I find it not convenient to shape the goatie. Kind of bite accurate unless using the corner of the DE blade.

Do you think a feather AC SS would be better for beard and mustache shaping?

Or do you think something like the parker sr1 is better to shape beards?

What else would tout recommend?

Feather ac is awesome, there is also the Kai captain excelia and Korean cbj? Or something like that...

Why not get a whipped dog and you'll likely end up with a 4/8-5/8 which should be great for shaping.

I think the coolest might be the filarmonica 10

Yes a real straight is probably best overall. It's just that I think they are really worth it for the full shaving experience.

However going through the whole process only for a neck line, and shaping the beard and mustache, I feel a shavette or feather would be quicker.

I am not sure how easy it is to use a feather to make small lines/curves.

I just came across the feather nape. It has smaller blades than the feather artist club SS.

Would it be good enough for goatie shaping? Or is it really just for hairs? Has anyone tried it?

If I'm shaving with a straight or FAC I'll use em for beard shaping as well. If I'm shaving with anything else I'll use my Half DE type shavette, just because it's cheap to keep sharp. It works as well as anything else in my experience. They're cheap to buy and a great way to use up unwanted blades.

Don't know what kind of shavette you have but if the blade falls out I'd sling it in the bin. I use a Sanguine R5 which has this type of holding device...
proxy.php

They are reliable and can be tightened up easy with a squeeze of some pliers if need be.

Yes I like this holding method better. My shavette kids like the diane shavette. The blade holder slides all the way and your thumb is on it if you want to hold it like a conventional straight.

At the moment I am hesitating between a parker/sanguine type shavette or a feather AC SS.

For shaping, I noticed I tend to use the edge of the half DE to shape inside the goatie. But in some cases, I could cut myself a bit.

Either I need to check how to do it properly with a DE. Or I am going the edge of the feather AC blade is safer to use.

Have you thought about using a DE? I shave my cheeks, upper lip, and neck with DE's and maintain a great beard shape.

How do you easily shape inside the goatie with a DE? With a T shaped razor like a cartridge disposable, I feel it's less convenient than my current shavette.

How do you easily shape inside the goatie with a DE? With a T shaped razor like a cartridge disposable, I feel it's less convenient than my current shavette.

Ah, I actually do not shape the inside of the hair on my chin. For the cheeks and neck though, DE can give you an easy straight line.

The feathers pro super guard type blades are friggin sharp, I don't know they'll be any easier to not cut yourself. And they are a bit longer than the DE blades.

I love my cheap half DE shavette for beard lineup and carving out around the soul patch. It is an Equinox brand I think I gave $8 for it from amazon. It looks like the one Dave the Rave posted except it is all stainless, not the greatest quality but it was cheap and it works. I rarely do a full shave with it, but I grab it all the time for detail work when shaving with a DE, SE, or if I have already cleaned my razor and notice I missed a spot. Just a quick wipe and I don't have to worry about putting it away a little wet.

I don't have a feather, but I do like my Weck Sextoblade as a full sized shavette and they can be found pretty cheap.

As far as real straights I like my Wosetholm or my Case Red Imp, but any 5/8 or 9/16 full hollow with a good point would work.

Thanks for sharing on these options.

If I go for an equinox/parker, it will have a better blade holder than my current one. I mostly have to learn how to do proper beard shaping without using the edge of the blade. Blades are easy to find. What I find interesting in the feather is the non folding style giving more visibility.

If I go for the universal shavette, no issue with the edge but I didn't see much feedback about them like for the Parker.

If I go for the feather, no issues with the edge, no tugging when shaping, but I agree I better avoid the super pro to begin with. Blade will be longer but more rigid. Just the titan mild seem more tricky to buy. Needs to be shipped from abroad.

Did I miss an important point?

But with the half DE blade, I find it not convenient to shape the goatie. Kind of bite accurate unless using the corner of the DE blade.

Do you think a feather AC SS would be better for beard and mustache shaping?

Or do you think something like the parker sr1 is better to shape beards?

What else would tout recommend?

The classic beard patterns were designed during the age of straight razors and I think in the long run it will be your blade of choice. I also shape my beard and this video might give you some ideas on how I do it.
Good luck
Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes pretty good example in this video.

It is the sort of thing I need to do inside the goatee. I will just make it a bit more round in the bottom.

I am convinced seeing this that a real straight would be ideal. Just I don't really have the time for the maintenance required.

Do you think it's easier to do it like him with a feather ac or with a shavette?

I am wondering if the ergonomics of the feather ac and the shape of the blades may be better for shaping than a shavette with DE blades. Has anyone tried with both?

Ok so I have just ordered a parker sr1 + blade samples as well as feather ac ss + blade samples.

I saw some cheap real straight that were tempting for the price but I don't know yet how to assess if they're good and I wouldn't know yet how to maintain them.

So I will try to learn using both types of "shavettes" and share feedback. I am realistic about my beginner level so the feedback will be based on this.

I usually use a straight for line work around my goatee, shaving the rest of the face with a DE razor. Since I shave really a few whiskers with the SR, there is no need for too much maintenance, the edge stays sharp (almost) forever.
But it's a very nice razor so I feel the need to clean and dry it well after each shave and that takes as much time as shaving, so I just bought a shavette for the job, to see how it goes.

I have been using a straight for a few months now, but I have the feather ac ss. I used it all the tim to trim around my goatee. Once you learn how to use the blade it becomes pretty easy. The blade size to me was perfect. In fact, I have a custom kamisori straight ordered so i can still use a straight but with a shorter blade length like the feather.

Last edited:
Top Bottom