What's new

Best quick shave cream?

There are several soaps that I used in the shower. The best ones I have used are Duke Cannon and Dr Bronner.

I like Truefitt and Hill shave cream in a tube, unscented. Lathers fast and reliable. Broad water ban. My go to for travel and quick shaves.

I don't know if this counts but King of Shaves shave gel is fantastic just generally speaking. Love the fresh scent, it's vegan (if that matters), easy to use, effective, alcohol free and inexpensive. It's not like the gel in a can which you spray into your hand and lather. You just squeeze some out of the tube, rub it onto your face and shave. DO NOT LATHER IT THOUGH!!! If you lather it, it doesn't work even close to as well as if you use it the right way. It's my go to in a pinch and they have a few different versions (menthol, sensitive skin etc.) if any of those are up your alley.

Have you considered a brushless shave cream, like Cremo, or a shave butter? I've tried Pinaud Clubman shave butter and it works well enough for those days when I just want a quick shave (instead of taking my time to enjoy my shave).

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Pinaud Clubman Classic Barber Shave Cream works good. It's brushless and provides excellent slickness and protection.

When I need a quick shave, La Toja shaving stick and EJ stf v2 (or RR Bruce) synthetic brush get their turns.
They never let me down.
Just my 2 cents.
Hope this helps and enjoy shaving.

For about 65 years of shaving, all of my shaves have been "quick" shaves.

I palm lather or apply cream or soap directly to the face -- and face lather with a heated brush that has been held for about 5 seconds in very hot water. After generating lather and fully applying the lather, I again plunge the brush straight-down into super-hot water and hold it for about 5 seconds -- i.e., to re-warm it, and then re-lather. With my left hand, I squeeze the extra lather out of the brush, and "store" it in the space above my right clavicle -- i.e., as a reservoir, and to keep it warm.

While the lather is soaking into the beard, I swoosh the brush in the water, carefully squeeze the bristles (albeit backwardly, to prevent damage), stroke the then cleaned brush back-and-forth a few times on my bath towel, and put the brush aside to dry.

I then down-shave the fully-soaked beard.

Next, from the bottom of the razor, and with my left hand, I carefully remove the "used" lather and deposit it near my right shoulder for re-use, and so as not overly to foul the water. I then swoosh the razor in the still relatively-clear hot water to "de-slick" the handle, as may be needed. I repeat -- doing an up-shave and a cross-shave. Finally, I loosen the razor handle, swoosh the razor and hold it under a stream of hot water, carefully dry the razor on the bath towel (i.e., without exerting any pressure upwardly against the blade, and blow on the blade edge to remove any residual drops of water.

And, then I simply jump in the shower.

The result is a very quick, perfect barbershop shave every time -- and, with no wasted motion.

stephan_stay_smooth_shave_cream-1.jpg
steph.JPG

In the shower, I generally use some of whatever shaving soap that I normally use. I just scoop out a little bit and lather it between my hands before rubbing it on my face. The shower shave for me usually consists of one pass with a bunch of touch up in different directions until the stubble feels cleared when I rub my hands on my face. It works fine this way and I'm still able to get a really great shave.

The difference without a brush seems to be that the lather is a bit thinner and lacks some cushion. In my opinion, cushion is overrated. In doing it this way, the thinner soap is extremely slick and gives me a great shave every time. Maybe give that a shot.
I guess I could purchase an unbreakable lather bowl and buy a synthetic brush, but when I'm shaving in the shower I'm usually doing it to for the purpose of saving time. So this would defeat the purpose. If I was a daily shower shaver I'd consider the additional items along with a non fogging mirror.

Leftfield suggestion that IME works incredibly well:

Any generic emollient moisturiser.

The kind of thing prescribed for dry skin. Buy a huge 500ml tub, costs pennies, a small amount goes a long way and it's unbelievably comfortable.

Caveat: they don't work well for longer stubble. 1-2 days' growth, max.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I’ve had success using cream from the tube and just rubbing it on my face adding some water. Works in a pinch if you‘re without a brush.
I have done the same with a bar of soap.

Further on this topic, since my first post here I encountered MdC. I can make plenty of lather with it in about three seconds.

Erasmic cream (the ‘new’ one with the black cap, 75ml, plastic bottle) is just fantastic with a synthetic brush and lathers in seconds. Without a brush it works almost as well. Just rub it in with your fingers.

Top Bottom