What's new

Best Quality versus Cost 1911?

I would look at Dan Wesson, Colt, or a decent Kimber. Depends on what you are looking to use it for primarily. If you are looking to carry it, I would highly recommend the DW CCO model, or a Kimber TLE or Eclipse. Several Kimbers in my family, and all of them go bang nicely. 1911's can get a bad rap, but the majority of any feeding issues they may have can generally be attributed to cheap mags. Get decent mags and you will be just fine.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I must admit that most of my 45ACD handguns are wheelies but I do have a Dan Wesson pre-CZ 1911.

proxy.php

It tends to go bang when it is supposed to.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I would look at Dan Wesson, Colt, or a decent Kimber. Depends on what you are looking to use it for primarily. If you are looking to carry it, I would highly recommend the DW CCO model, or a Kimber TLE or Eclipse. Several Kimbers in my family, and all of them go bang nicely. 1911's can get a bad rap, but the majority of any feeding issues they may have can generally be attributed to cheap mags. Get decent mags and you will be just fine.

+1 on the TLE and also getting decent mags (I found that Tripp Research makes the best...in my experience, better than Wilson Combat or Chip McCormick)

+1 on the TLE and also getting decent mags (I found that Tripp Research makes the best...in my experience, better than Wilson Combat or Chip McCormick)

The TLE has everything you need in a defense 1911 and nothing you don't. Front strap checkering on the frame for a good grip, night sights, and steel frame. Probably the best value Kimber out there.

Colt or Dan Wesson if you want to keep it under $1600 and have a good production gun

Springfield Armory has some decent upgradeable 1911s that start just under $950 and you can bring them to the Colt/CZ level for a few hundred dollars

Sig Sauer 1911 TacOps. Folks forget that Sig makes a tactical 1911 that is off the charts good and around $1000 street price.

My .02. The key words you used are Cost Effective. If your looking for the best value - Rock or Sig will get you into a 1911 (Yes, I still consider the sig a 1911 even with that side extractor) that will perform and work. That said, if I were still doing LEO duties and my life actually depending on it - I'd purchase either a high end Colt, Springfiled Armory or more likely a Wilson Combat if I was dead set on carrying a 1911 style pistol. YMMV

Top Bottom