What's new

Best Pre-Shave Face Soaps/Washes?

I've tried quite a few but still think a dab of Noczema original rubbed in before a shave works the best. I don't use an exfoliant pre-shave, I feel it's counterproductive. YMMV.

I don't like exfoliating scrubs either. I prefer foaming ones. I think the foaming action removes the oil/waxes on your beard hair and allows water to enter the hairs and soften them for easy cutting.

I'm liking Caprina Fresh Goat's MIlk Soap with Shea Butter, in the shower.
Soap, rub, and rinse my face until it actually squeaks. My reasoning is that degreasing my skin will allow for better wetting of the beard hairs.

I don't believe in exfoliants beyond a terry face cloth. The razor blade will take care of that.

I've been using foaming cleansers in pump bottles and I think they work great for me on the days that I do shave. But, I was hoping that someone here uses some good cheap bar soap for this purpose.

proxy.php
proxy.php

These are the 2 that I have liked so far. I can tell a good difference in the shave after using these.
I never thought about using Dove. It's cheap and readily available. I will try it.
Any other recommendations are welcome.

I wash my face with "simple" soap, more or less like I was just having a normal wash, except that I rub a heavier lather aggressively, all over the stubbly bits, for about 30 seconds.

The idea is that the (mildly) alkaline soap will strip the oils, and let the hairs hydrate.

Then the usual hot face-cloth preparation.

A stripping of oils is definitely called for, because I will have used 3 squirts of mentholated shave oil the last time I shaved, plus the standard Nivea sensitive skin balm afterwards.

I'm stuck with mild products, due to skin irritation. DE is working out a whole lot better than cartridge (if only because I was too mean to throw away expensive blades that were used up).

proxy.php
proxy.php

These are the 2 that I have liked so far. I can tell a good difference in the shave after using these.
I never thought about using Dove. It's cheap and readily available. I will try it.
Any other recommendations are welcome.

+1! CeraVe is my ‘go to’ daily face wash before starting my lather! Great product IMO!

I just use the same Stirling soap bars that I use in the shower. I keep one in the medicine cabinet that I use solely for pre-shave wash for 2 reasons, I shave before I shower and the shower is down in the basement, so I have to keep one in the upstairs bathroom where I shave... It gets the job done though...

Bull Dog Original face wash can't be beat. Seams to soften hard water. Even when not shaving leaves skin really fresh w/o drying. My brother visited me from out of town last week. He tried it and said it was Great. I use it every day. Smells great and good for sensitive skin

Top Bottom