What's new

Best Post-shave

Mostly artisan soaps for post shave feel. My rankings at current time:

1. Zingari Sego base
2. Declaration Grooming Milksteak base
3. Barrister and Mann Excelsior
4. Grooming Dept Lusso base (no longer offered)

I haven't yet used Wholly Kaw Siero or the new Grooming Dept bases. For a total budget option, Cold River Soap Works Schapenmelk is very good.

I'm in my late 50's and just started wet shaving a few years ago. Now I use a moisturizer
with retinol to keep the wrinkles at bay, knowing that I can't beat mother nature. If I
started wet shaving years ago and knowing what I know now I would have used some
type of moisturizer and sunblock regardless of how well a shave soaps post shave is

You said you use AS balm and after a while still feel tightness. This means you have naturally dry skin and paired with more proper soap it leads to more dryness no aditives in soap will solve. You need to find a proper skincare routine to moisturize your skin. Try Nivea Balm for your aftershave and if you still feel tight (winter is perfect timefor this) you need to find good light moisturizing facial cream. I noticed if I skip a day or two and don't moisturize enough, my shaves in winter get rougher due to dry skin

Personally, I like CBL Premium, Grooming Dept, Barrister and Mann, and several other upper tier soaps for their hydration as well as protection. Still, it seems no matter how good the soap is, for my skin, the soap can only take me part of the way. I need something after the shave to soothe and hydrate. Thus, for an Aftershave, most of the time I'm using Duke Cannon Ice Cold Balm. For my dry skin, this seems to do the most. No drying alcohol... A cold menthol blast... And lots of good moisturizers. I just wish they had one sans the scent. Don't get me wrong, it's very mild and I like the scent... But I don't really like to smell like anything post shave.

Top Bottom