What's new

Best Post-shave

Hello fellow WS,

I know this is a very subjective question, and I know I will get a lot of answers. Im looking for a shaving soap that leaves the best post-shave feeling. I have tried few soaps like proraso, taylor of old bond, and stirling soaps. Stirling wins for me. I jumped the gun and bought 14 soaps from them. Now this is where I have an issue. Even though I love the performance, it leaves my skin tight and more now because it's the winter. Im looking to get 3 max soaps to give a try that would give me amazing post-shave.

Are you using aftershave splash or balm?

While some of the higher quality bases (like Declaration grooming or Noble Otter in my opinion) may leave your face feeling better than others, it's still soap and soap is drying. Stirling products are still great, you may just need to rethink your post shave to focus on moisturizing and steering clear of high alcohol products during the colder months. And rinse thoroughly after your last pass to get all the residual soap off.

You already have 14 soaps. That will last you a few years. It would be cheaper and easier to find a nice aftershave balm. I'd suggest Pre de Provence original sage balm in the aluminum tube. Sterling makes an unscented balm that would go with all your soaps. Nivea makes some good balms.

Agree on the balm; suggest anything unscented would be a better option than trying even more soaps which may or may not resolve your problem.

You already have 14 soaps. That will last you a few years. It would be cheaper and easier to find a nice aftershave balm. I'd suggest Pre de Provence original sage balm in the aluminum tube. Sterling makes an unscented balm that would go with all your soaps. Nivea makes some good balms.

I don't know how many years, but I just inquired a chubby 1,2 and 3. And I shave every 2nd day so I think the chubbies are going to help me with that help. I have a couple of balms and they sure do help but after a while I feel tightness.

Are you using aftershave splash or balm?

While some of the higher quality bases (like Declaration grooming or Noble Otter in my opinion) may leave your face feeling better than others, it's still soap and soap is drying. Stirling products are still great, you may just need to rethink your post shave to focus on moisturizing and steering clear of high alcohol products during the colder months. And rinse thoroughly after your last pass to get all the residual soap off.

I use a Thayers for a splash, non alcohol, and I have a couple of balms. Stirling is great and it was the first soap that I fell in love with but I noticed some soaps have more moisturizing ingredients. I guess would you say compared to declaration grooming is the difference is noticeable?

I use a Thayers for a splash, non alcohol, and I have a couple of balms. Stirling is great and it was the first soap that I fell in love with but I noticed some soaps have more moisturizing ingredients. I guess would you say compared to declaration grooming is the difference is noticeable?

Yeah, the new Milksteak base is the best I’ve tried for that, it’s a noticeable difference to me compared to Stirling.

I don't know how many years, but I just inquired a chubby 1,2 and 3. And I shave every 2nd day so I think the chubbies are going to help me with that help. I have a couple of balms and they sure do help but after a while I feel tightness.
People have tried to estimate how many shaves for different soap brands. Somewhere between 1 and 2 grams per shave for the softer soaps, usually. Some quick calculations gives about 100 shaves per tub, giving you over a 6-year supply (unless you also shave your head)!

The problem is there are so many soaps and no real "best". Most of the better artisan soaps have more conditioning ingredients than the big brands. My personal best is probably Haslinger Schafmilch. I use it a lot in Winter.

@Evilla01
It would depend on if you have naturally dry or oily skin when it comes to post shave feel. I for one have naturally oily skin and in the past I would feel oily sometimes as soon as a few hours after shaving. That was until I tried Stirling myself. I also use their matching aftershaves and now my skin feels great up several hours later post shave depending on the climate. The best I've ever felt since I started shaving some 40yrs ago... If you are in the dry skin category then you may find that some of the soaps that incorporate a bunch of fats and butters in them will probably be better for you post shave. I tested a soap from GD and imo, the Stirling products were far and beyond superior so that is what I've stuck with... I grew up on the premise of, "If it ain't broke...don't fix it"!!

eta... I have 5 Stirling soaps in my rotation and was recently 6 until I finished a tub of MITA so I know I'm good for 5-6 yrs at this point so I'm guessing you having 14 you'll be good for about 15 or so!!

although I like a lot of soaps for different reasons.......

I'd say B&M soaps have the best post shave I've experienced to date.

camo

MWF and SV standout for me. I use a balm most of the time, definitely winter, live in a very dry climate, and those two stand out as adding something extra to moisturize throughout the day even in the coldest, dryest weather.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have dry skin, and while some soaps are better than others none are good enough on their own. I always follow my shaves with Thayer's unscented WH w/aloe and then balm (currently Clinique Moisturizer for Men, but anything would be better than nothing).

I don't chase post-shave feel (much--I'm human and can be a sucker for NEW AND IMPROVED). A nice, unscented balm is great.

But that's not what you want. Ruds Shaves has a well-regarded numerical shave ranking for what it's worth (it's rumored he strongly favors post-shave feel, but I've not sampled 1/20th the soaps he has). He ranks the following top 4 right now: unobtanium version of Barrister and Mann, Wholly Kaw Siero, Declaration Grooming Milksteak, Grooming Department Nai. I have the milk steak and while it's great, I don't see how it's measurably better than many others. It's one man's ranking. Many here tend to agree with him in general (I do as well), but disagree on specifics (like me)—he is a benchmark reviewer for me, along with a couple others.

With that said, if you want to try modern top post-shave soaps? Try the following brands, in any formulation: B&M, DG, GD, WK, Murphy and McNeil, Ariana and Evans, Zingari Man, Tallow and Steel, and Noble Otter (I've tried all these brands except Tallow and Steel). Read B&B reviews about them. Grab a sample if you can of one or more and have fun.

Or, try a luxurious sheep or mutton tallow based soap. Many love MWF. I'm a fan of Stirling's unscented Sheep, but I understand you want to explore others.

Last edited:
I haven't used many of the artisan soaps yet but believe it or not Cremo gives me the best, non-drying feel after a shave. When it gets real cold (think teens and below) here I'll only use Cremo. The one problem I have with it is it's so slick it can be hard to pull my skin taught. It also dries out a little quick but all you have to do is splash your face with water and it's good to go.

Top Bottom