What's new

Best places to get razor replated?

I have a Gillette gold TTO Aristocrat razor where a lot of the gold plating is gone, in fact most of the razor's plating is right down to the brass on the head. I was thinking of getting the whole razor replated in copper, then nickel or rhodium. The razor is in perfect working order, with no cosmetic problems, i.e. scratches or ding marks, except for worn plating. Which is the best place to get the razor replated at a reasonable cost? I would prefere to send this razor to the U.S. or Canada. Thanks.

I purchased a replated nickel head from Bob's Razor Works.

A quick search of re-plating providers:
Reliable Electroplating-304 Main St. Chartley, Ma. 508 222 0620 owner's name is Dale

B&B Member's who Replate:
buddydog
onotoman

There are others, but that was just a quick run-down.

HIH,
Dave

Last edited:
I too, have a 40s Aristocrat which I'd love to have redone in Rhodium.

I currently have a 40s SS at my local replater to have done in nickel. If this comes out well once I get it back later this week, off goes the Aritocrat straight after.

Automotive guys can do it. Shops that do platting for classic cars and such. You can do it in one piece without taking it apart. Just soak it in castor oil when it comes back as it will be bone dry.

There's probably a shop that does platting for car buffs near you.
They can do razors too unless you want silver. What's the difference who dips it.

Last edited:
I have had all three done, three piecer's, twists,and adjustables. They do them all together. In one piece except the three piece which is easy to disassemble. The other two just come out stripped and bone dry which is why the oil soak especially for the adjustables. As for who or where that's up to you depending on where you live. These guys do chrome and nickel all day long for car parts as it is. There's no dainty specialized work to it so what's the difference. You will loose numbers on an adjustable so be aware.

I too, have a 40s Aristocrat which I'd love to have redone in Rhodium.

I currently have a 40s SS at my local replater to have done in nickel. If this comes out well once I get it back later this week, off goes the Aritocrat straight after.

Please do post a picture of that. I would LOVE to see that baby shining like a new dime!

I have had all three done, three piecer's, twists,and adjustables. They do them all together. In one piece except the three piece which is easy to disassemble. The other two just come out stripped and bone dry which is why the oil soak especially for the adjustables. As for who or where that's up to you depending on where you live. These guys do chrome and nickel all day long for car parts as it is. There's no dainty specialized work to it so what's the difference. You will loose numbers on an adjustable so be aware.

They are really easy to repaint with a little semi-gloss black model paint and some paint thinner. Just use a straight pin to lay in the paint..it's far less messy than a brush!

Automotive guys can do it. Shops that do platting for classic cars and such. You can do it in one piece without taking it apart. Just soak it in castor oil when it comes back as it will be bone dry.

really? so what would a typical body shop/car place charge for it?

also, what steps/precautions do you need to do in advance, before you bring it to them?

Top Bottom