What's new

Best place for inexpensive creams and a brush to start off with?

I am indeed. Thanks for the recommendation. I may well start on the cheap. I'll definitely check out connaught.
I don't like those Wilkinson Sword brushes. The knots look thin and you should start with something better.
Have a look at The Shaving Shack; Shaver.eu; a reasonable selection available on both sites. Palmolive soap sticks and cream available from most supermarkets at very good prices.

I don't like those Wilkinson Sword brushes. The knots look thin and you should start with something better.
Have a look at The Shaving Shack; Shaver.eu; a reasonable selection available on both sites. Palmolive soap sticks and cream available from most supermarkets at very good prices.
I am currently still leaning towards the Edwin Jager badger brush and cream. I'll probably start with a badger brush even if I get cheaper cream.

I might suggest you stick with a synthetic brush at first since you will be using it quite frequently. Boar brushes tend to take longer to dry out so you don't want to look at it one day and find something growing on it. If you plan on buying more than one up front, the boar and another brush, either synthetic or badger, will allow you to alternate them allowing them to dry out better. And then if you are like the rest of us you become afflicted with BAD = Brush Addiction Disorder. I now have 12 brushes. Welcome to the club. And as for creams, you really can't go wrong with either Proraso or Taylor of Old Bond Street creams. Both are good quality and neither will break the bank. And then you will get that disease as well = SCAD (Shaving Cream Addiction Disorder). I'm now at 13 creams with another on the way. Again, welcome.

Get a basic Omega Boar brush and a tub of Proraso shaving soap. Can get both online for less than $20
This would do the job nicely. C.O. Bigelow cream is made by Proraso and can be had at Bath and Body Works inexpensively. I also like Godrej shave cream lately.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I own boar, badger and synthetic brushes. I use my synthetics most frequently and they work well with creams. The boar has been creeping up on them as it breaks in. Haven't picked up a badger in months.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I might suggest you stick with a synthetic brush at first since you will be using it quite frequently. Boar brushes tend to take longer to dry out so you don't want to look at it one day and find something growing on it. If you plan on buying more than one up front, the boar and another brush, either synthetic or badger, will allow you to alternate them allowing them to dry out better. And then if you are like the rest of us you become afflicted with BAD = Brush Addiction Disorder. I now have 12 brushes. Welcome to the club. And as for creams, you really can't go wrong with either Proraso or Taylor of Old Bond Street creams. Both are good quality and neither will break the bank. And then you will get that disease as well = SCAD (Shaving Cream Addiction Disorder). I'm now at 13 creams with another on the way. Again, welcome.
Thanks for the recommendation. I suspect it'll be a while before I have multiple of anything. More by finance than choice.

Thanks for the recommendation. I suspect it'll be a while before I have multiple of anything. More by finance than choice.

That's ok. I started the same way. My wife bought me my first brush, a travel brush by Art of Shaving in Pure Badger. I then quickly bought a synthetic to rotate in and then nothing until I learned more about brushes. But if you have only one brush, then synthetic seems to me to be the way to go. I really like and can recommend the Razorock Plissoft with the Bruce handle (regular size). They make a larger one which I may get one day. Nice brush with good backbone and cheap around $10. Good luck.

That's ok. I started the same way. My wife bought me my first brush, a travel brush by Art of Shaving in Pure Badger. I then quickly bought a synthetic to rotate in and then nothing until I learned more about brushes. But if you have only one brush, then synthetic seems to me to be the way to go. I really like and can recommend the Razorock Plissoft with the Bruce handle (regular size). They make a larger one which I may get one day. Nice brush with good backbone and cheap around $10. Good luck.
Thanks. I'll give it a look. Always nice to hear from those who know.

+1 for the Wilkinson Sword brush.

There's plenty of creams to be had in the UK for dirt cheap. Can't remember exact prices but these are in the region of what I paid:
Palmolive £1.75 - Tesco
Ingram £1.75 Superdrug
Erasmic £1.30 Savers
Boots own brand £1.30
Nivea £2 Sainsbury's
Real Shaving Co £4 Waitrose
Dove £4 Waitrose
Palmolive shave stick 50p in Tesco or 75p Superdrug

+1 for the Wilkinson Sword brush.

There's plenty of creams to be had in the UK for dirt cheap. Can't remember exact prices but these are in the region of what I paid:
Palmolive £1.75 - Tesco
Ingram £1.75 Superdrug
Erasmic £1.30 Savers
Boots own brand £1.30
Nivea £2 Sainsbury's
Real Shaving Co £4 Waitrose
Dove £4 Waitrose
Palmolive shave stick 50p in Tesco or 75p Superdrug
Thanks for the great info

Thanks for the great info
Forgot Body Shop own brand brush and cream for about £6 each iirc but haven't got the brush myself so don't know if it's good or not. Also Bull Dog Shaving cream is around a fiver.

Have you got the rest of your set up and are you DE shaving? If so pm me your address and I'll send you a selection of blades.

Forgot Body Shop own brand brush and cream for about £6 each iirc but haven't got the brush myself so don't know if it's good or not. Also Bull Dog Shaving cream is around a fiver.

Have you got the rest of your set up and are you DE shaving? If so pm me your address and I'll send you a selection of blades.

Very generous of you. My thanks for the offer. I'm actually starting with SE. A 1908 I believe, kampfe lather catcher. Though I am going to try DE at some point for comparison.

Very generous of you. My thanks for the offer. I'm actually starting with SE. A 1908 I believe, kampfe lather catcher. Though I am going to try DE at some point for comparison.
Best of luck with it.
If and when you decide to give DE a try just drop us a line and I'll post you a couple of each blade I happen to have at the time.

Thanks guys. Found a UK site for a boar brush and proraso cream for £16 shipped so I'll likely order soon and there'll be a thread about my first shave if there's a place for it. :)

Good choice! This will get you started and you can expand from here. :thumbup1:

Hi all. Looking for a decent cream and brush to get me started without breaking the bank. Any advice or recommendations are appreciated.
I would recomend a Van Der Hagen starter set with Brush, Soap and bowl. Check on ebay. You can get for well-under $20 shipped and play around with it and see if you are willing to further invest the time and $.

Top Bottom