What's new

Best Pie

No I was not thinking apple or cherry. I was thinking about Chicago stuffed or a slice from a New York shop. What say you?

I will eat any and all pizza and enjoy it immensely but my favorite is the most simple: Thin crust, with pepperoni and a good sauce. The sauce is the key.

A good sauce, a good thin crust, and good pepperoni - I don't need anything else.

About a year ago, I really had a GREAT experience at DiFara's in Brooklyn, but I have seen some reports that it is going down hill.

Around here, I am pretty darn pleased with my own efforts on my BGE. I have been using Caputo 00 flour for the crust and making it the day ahead.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I say the best I've ever had was when I was a kid and we were stationed in Sicily. Downtown Catania had a pizza joint - I wonder if my mom would remember the name of the place, early 60's anyways - and they had a wood fired stone oven. Big chunks of mozzarella, dough made there. My pop always got a calzone and we got cheese with anchovy. And I can't remember exactly, but at some point in the process, either before sliding into the oven or when they turned the pie, they poured the olive oil on.

And as good as that pizza was, it was the chicken tortellini soup that stuck with me my whole life. I love Chicken Tortellini Soup!

-jim

A former resident of the Chicago Suburbs. The best pizza in the world is made in Chicago,no others compare. A deep dish Chicago style pizza is what other pizzas want to be.

For the other pie definitely Pumpkin.

No I was not thinking apple or cherry. I was thinking about Chicago stuffed or a slice from a New York shop. What say you?

I can't really say. Pizza's and types vary so much I need categories. I guess I am not big enough into pizza to have an overall favorite..... With that said A Shakey's Canadian Bacon Pizza from the 70's because they had thin julienned Canadian bacon just absolutely swallowing the pizza. Out of all of the Deep Dish, NY, Napoleon, commercial, St. Louis Style and frozen pizzas I have had. That is the one that I never forget...... Maybe its a childhood thing.

Michael

About a year ago, I really had a GREAT experience at DiFara's in Brooklyn, but I have seen some reports that it is going down hill.

Around here, I am pretty darn pleased with my own efforts on my BGE. I have been using Caputo 00 flour for the crust and making it the day ahead.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Let's have your crust recipe, please. I'm struggling to find one that I really like.

Here is my dough recipe. I have gone through using high glutin flour and ended up using Caputo oo flour when I can get it or all purpose flour.

I weigh my ingredients so it may not work for you.

Pizza Dough with Jeff Varasano’s Kneading Techniques

bread flour (480 grams or 16.9 ounces)
semolina flour (160 grams or 5.6 ounces)
Note: Jeff says even regular flour for the whole amount is okay.
1 packet instant yeast (**)
1 tsp. salt (2 tsp if using Kosher salt)
room temp water (384 grams or 13 ounces)

NOTES: Everything should be room temperature or a bit cooler.

In spite of what it says above, I now use regular all purpose flour or Caputo “oo” flour.

Add ¾ of the flour and the yeast to the mixer bowl. Mix in yeast on lowest speed until completely blended and then add all the water and mix until the dough comes together (1 – 2 minutes. Note: I use the paddle for this stage.

At this stage you should have a mix that is drier than a batter, but wetter than a dough.

Cover and let it rest for 20 minutes.

The high moisture initiates a process called autolyse, which activates the gluten in the flour. This is the same technique used in the no knead bread recipe.

After the rest (don’t rush this and not harm letting it go longer), add salt and start mixing on low speed for 5 minutes – do not add remaining flour during this time (using paddle). Five minutes into the kneading, switch to the dough hook and start adding flour gradually and let it come together to a smooth dough.

At this point I divide the dough into two pieces and set it aside for the rise. This is perfect for two pizzas on the BGE pizza stone.

(**) If you are going to use on the day you make the dough, add the yeast as shown above. If you want to let the dough develop for one or more days in your refrigerator, cut back to ¼ - ½ teaspoon yeast.

This comes together with a single rise to 1 ½ - 2 times original size.

You should press/stretch the dough with your hands. Rolling the dough will collapse the air bubbles and you will get a less effective rise when you cook the pizza. On the other hand a rolled crust will be more like a cracker type crust.

I always cook mine on parchment – even when cooking at 600 - 650! For me the dough is easier to handle and you can press out the dough, ahead of time, on the parchment rounds.

The dough needs to be hand tossed. In Minnesota we get lot of decent pizza, but the better/high end stuff has thin, almost cracker liked crust. It's tasty if you want an appetizer, but for pizza and beer, it has to be hand tossed crust.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Love Chicago Style.

Giordano's Pizza or Unos Chicago Grill (since 1943) are two great places for a pie.

Top Bottom