What's new

Best phillips norelco HQ8200/17 like from nowadays

I started shaving about twenty years ago, where I noticed that my skin would very much irritate with wet shaving with regular blades, so I got myself something that on a picture looks very much to what shows up in google when I search for norelco hq8200 electric razor.

I dont shave very often (about once a week), and in these many years I've had the chance to sport long beard at least for four years in total. Also, my way of shaving is: I usually trim down the hair with the styling trimmer in the back to about 1/2 mm long, and then finish up with the rotary blades

A couple of years ago, the wire from the adapter rotted away and I had to replace it, but then it kept running as good as new. I cleaned it regularly with water and brushes (both the head with the blades, and the body), but I never once had to change the blades, and it never pulled me the wrong way.

But last week it finally gave in, after twenty years. Now the switch won't work unless the razor is in a very specific position, and thats unacceptable for a razor.

The question is, can I get myself something similar nowadays, that will last as long and will be as convenient? I'm looking at the current market, and I have objections to everything I see.

I like wired, I like rotary blades, I like to clean my razor under the tap. I don't mind much perfect close cut clean shave flush with my skin. I look at the device that holds the blades in their housing and it's just not the same. Also the blades themselves seem to have far fewer cutting edges nowadays... (about 15 from back then to about 9 nowadays, is it relevant?), and the "3D" models I'm looking at these days seem very much fragile. I don't mind the price much (up to about 100 $), if I'm gonna get something that will last me for a very long time.

Thank you

Bit of a unicorn the corded shaver. Most shavers have an internal battery even if capable of corded shaving, which many shavers no longer permit.

You may find the link below of some use. Perhaps a 3000 series Norelco.

Longevity, well, electronics are not what they used to be and the internal battery isvthe limitation for many shavers.

Bit of a unicorn the corded shaver. Most shavers have an internal battery even if capable of corded shaving, which many shavers no longer permit.

You may find the link below of some use. Perhaps a 3000 series Norelco.

Longevity, well, electronics are not what they used to be and the internal battery isvthe limitation for many shavers.

^^^This. Remington R2 and PN 1100 and Aquatec are also corded rotaries, but you might consider giving a rechargeable a try and your shaving universe will expand significantly. There really is no advantage to a corded razor these days - rechargeables hold a charge for a couple of weeks worth of shaves generally, recharge in an hour or less (and a 5 minute charge will get you a shave if depleted), shave just as close or closer, and don't require you to be tethered to a wall socket. You could shave in your tent in the middle of Yellowstone if needed. The "boat anchor brick" corded razors have pretty much gone into the sunset, and almost any electric razor these days is going to be lightweight and plastic (but not necessarily less durable). An argument could be made that a corded razor lasts longer (re-the rechargeable batteries in cordless razors - probably 3-5 years-ish), but almost anything electronic made in the 20th century and beyond will have a limited lifespan, planned or otherwise.

Reactions: ctr
Thank you very much.
From the ones you've recommended, I like this one Philips Norelco S3552/89 (Heritage edition), but the closest I've seen that ships to my country is this one, Amazon.com: Philips Norelco Electric Shaver 3500, S3560/81 : Beauty & Personal Care - https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Norelco-Electric-S3560-81/dp/B01859QH7C . What do you think about that one? Is it good?

Ovidiu on ShaverCheck gave it good marks:

The downside for you compared to the S3552 is that it can't be used as a corded shaver - strictly rechargeable, but it is fully waterproof.

Ovidiu on ShaverCheck gave it good marks:

The downside for you compared to the S3552 is that it can't be used as a corded shaver - strictly rechargeable, but it is fully waterproof.

Then the description in the shop is deceiving:

Comfort Cut Blade System- Rounded edges move smoothly over skin for a protective shave.Charging:Rechargeable,cordless & corded operation,quick charge 3 min for 1 shave

Thanks! I'll keep looking, see if I find that unicorn.

What about (link here) this one? Norelco PowerTouch Electric Razor- Corded-Cordless ? Does it really work corded?

It's essentially the earlier version of the 3100, but mostly just cosmetic differences although with slightly different heads (another review by ShaverCheck):

Philips Norelco Shaver 3100 (S3310/81) Review: A Very Decent Budget Razor • ShaverCheck

The current version:

Philips S3100

It's not waterproof (only for dry use - no shaving foam) but you can wash the head under running water. It can be used corded or cordless and the recharge time is fairly long (8h), but you can use it corded while charging so it fits your requirements. I've never used one, but looks like a pretty decent rotary although not the closest by report

Last edited:
Any of the 3000 series Norelco shavers would likely satisfy your needs. The Heritage is nice but difficult to locate. Good luck!

Top Bottom