What's new

Best Performing Fougere Soaps?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
MdC Fougere
Saponificio Varesino "Felce" 4.3
Barrister and Mann Fougere Gothic is no longer available but they do have their "Fern" scent

All outstanding performers

Wholly Kaw makes 2 nice ones. Saponificio Varesino's is good, but it is a very different fougere scent, others love it more than I do. Bulgoose's Asylum makes a very nice one. B&M Fern as well.

Fougere or fern is an interesting topic given that ferns basically do not have a scent. So what you really have is someone's (artificial) take on what it is like to walk through a forest with ferns and other vegetation. That is to say, you get an artist's interpretation of how it smells to walk through an idyllic forest of their imagination. For the most part, what you get is some floral top end and mossy notes which are anchored by woody base notes. Given that, there really seems to be no real standard for what constitutes a fougere.

Setting all that aside, I enjoy Eufros Fougere and Declaration Grooming TSM Fougere, the latter being a collaboration with Chatillon Lux.

I never realized that DRH Arlington was considered a fougere, but it makes perfect sense. It's like a wonderful citrus top over a woody bottom.

I only have fougeres from Australian Private Reserve, currently General Ledger, Fougere Bourbon Rose, and Coeur de Vert (this is quite different, based on mousse de saxe) and I am more than happy with the scent and performance

Top Bottom