What's new

Best Pen and Notebook Recommendations

Good Evening Everyone!

I am interested in using a small notebook and a pen to start writing down ideas, thoughts etc. I would like something that is refillable (the notebook) and a good writing pen. I am new to all of this. I know that there is moleskin and field notes.

I would also like a nice leather made cover to go along with it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Hello :)

So, one of the first things to ask is if you are looking to go with a fountain pen, or the ballpoint/gel type of pen. That will influence the choice of notebook/paper that you'll use.

Next thing to sort out, what size of notebook? Pocket sized, smaller like an A5, or the longer but skinny kind of setup?

The last question is if you are looking for a nice sort of fancy and finished leather cover, or something just rustic that will take on a lot of personality as you use it and take it the places you go. That will help narrow down the choices, even more so once combined with the size and paper options you'll be looking at based on the pen type.

I know, seems like a lot upfront to think about for just getting a notebook and pen, but it's really about giving suggestions that will fit into what you have in mind more accurately. :)

@Shave_Rat thank you so much for responding to my questions. I will attempt to answer it as best as I can.

As for what type of pen, I usually use a ball point. I do not have any experience with a fountain pen. Are they easier to write with? What penwould you recommend?

I would want a small notebook. Something I can put in my breast pocket amor trouser pocket.

As for a cover, something that will Show age as it is used. Not to expensive and something that I could put my initials in and maybe a masonic emblem.

I'll try to keep my own suggestions to things that I've tried myself, or at least close to them.

For many people around here, a "good writing pen" means a fountain pen. I'm not sure if that's what you have in mind. But if it is, then Moleskine has a bad reputation as not being very fountain pen friendly. I've never tried Field Notes.

I use mostly A5 sized notebooks for my journals, and have a special B&B leather cover that was made by Franklin Christoph a few years back. Franklin Christoph still makes note book covers in three standard sizes (you don't have to use their paper). But they are pricey! More so than the one that I got. How badly do you want a leather cover? Of course, there are other options, but I'll leave those to people who have tried them. And there are nylon and vinyl covers.

Rhodia and Clairefontaine both make excellent notebooks. You could look at Japanese brands like Apica and Kokuyo. If you want something more portable, you may want to look at smaller sizes like A6. And of course, if you aren't thinking of a fountain pen, then other brands may do just fine.

@Shave_Rat thank you so much for responding to my questions. I will attempt to answer it as best as I can.

As for what type of pen, I usually use a ball point. I do not have any experience with a fountain pen. Are they easier to write with? What penwould you recommend?

I would want a small notebook. Something I can put in my breast pocket amor trouser pocket.

As for a cover, something that will Show age as it is used. Not to expensive and something that I could put my initials in and maybe a masonic emblem.

Many of us find fountain pens much easier to write with, since they require so little, if any at all, pressure of the pen on the page. Since you haven't used one previously, if trying out one appeals to you, there are several entry level inexpensive ones to dip your toe in that water. If that is a thing, I'd say look into getting a Pilot Varsity. Pre-filled with ink, disposable once done. If you plan to stick to ball points, then you have all the usual suspects, or if you want something refillable and easily portable, Kaweco makes a ball point version of their Sport line of pocket pens.

Breast pocket sized notebooks I have only a little experience with, but Clairefontain makes some in that size with good paper that will hold up to most pens you use with it. Goulet Pens also has some they had created exclusively for them using a Tomoe River paper that will also hold up to any pen type you use.

As for leather covers, I can't say I have encountered any that are small enough for a breast pocket fit. The smallest I have or have seen are suited to like a back pocket. Most are at the smallest wallet sized, or slightly larger. In order to fit a notebook inside and still fit in a breast pocket, it would need to be a really thin notebook, which is easily done... but also very thing leather, not leaving a lot of substance to do embossing and such on it. Maybe someone else will come along with options for covers that fit that size requirement. Not too expensive is very relative, for some that means $10, for others that's more in the $50 range.

Writing with a fountain pen on fine paper is a pleasure. The choices run the gamut, from about $20 for a Metropolitan, to a Mountblanc ranging from, oh $400 to many thousands of dollars.mm

My favorite daily use fountain pen is a Pilot Vanishing Point, extra-fine nib. Take a look. They run around $130-$180.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
For years I am using the Leuchtturm notebooks. The one I use is about 3.5 x 6" and thin, so it fits into my shirt pocket with two phones and a pen. For pens I use for years mostly Pelikan fountain pens, but this is just my preference. A good ball point will work fine, too. Personally, I do not like the very thin Cross, they are too thin for my old arthritic hands...
The notebook paper is excellent for fountain pen use, no bleeding through - only when I use a very wet pen. Make sure to use blotting paper when using a fountain pen!

Some second thoughts, since a couple of people, including myself, have nudged you in the direction of fountain pens. Lets say that you decide against this, and prefer to stay with ballpoints. Before shopping for a pen, think about what a good refill would be, and then look for a pen that uses those refills. A number of ballpoints will take Parker style refills, Parker's own pens, of course, Retro 1951, and others. From among those pens, look for one that is a comfortable in your hand, then get the best refills you can for it. For example, Schmidt EasyFlow refills are Parker style, and as ballpoints go, are very smooth writing. Or you may take a recommendation for a different style of refill, but again, the pen is essentially a refill holder, so make sure there are good refills for it.

You can also look at gel pens and rollerballs. Again, Retro 1951 makes some nice rollerballs (their own refills are liquid ink rather than gel type).

I prefer fountain pens on decent paper, but I wouldn't be as happy as I am now if I'd stayed with some of the usually recommended "good starter pens". And although I've stayed away from luxury brands, some of the nicest pens I have now, such as a vintage Parker Vacumatic and a modern Pilot Falcon, were not cheap. This can be a bigger rabbit hole than wet shaving.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I was going to recommend Retro 51 or another rollerball as well, if you don't want to dive into fountain pens just yet. Those are usually better for "EDC" anyway, especially the machined ones. Retro 51's are pretty cool. The basic ones are cheap - around $20. There are also themed ones that are really quite unique and interesting. For fountain pens, there's so many options, its pretty overwhelming. My first fountain pen was a Pilot Metropolitan. Its a great pen, but I moved on fairly quickly. You will find LOTS of beginner fountain pen advice here and on other websites. I do think its important to note that you don't have to shell out big coin for a good fountain pen. There are lots of great ones in the sub-$50, even sub-$30, price range.

For notebooks, I like Clairfontaine, Rhodia, and Apica. All of those have excellent paper and are fairly inexpensive. Studio C books aren't bad either and are readily available at drug stores and such.

For covers, I'm not as well versed. Etsy is full of leather merchants selling notebook covers. Galen Leather is the "it" leather vendor of the moment in the pen community (such as it is). All the fountain pen blogs (yes, those are a thing; like @Slivovitz said, the rabbit hole is vast and deep) are going gaga over their stuff from the latest pen shows (yes, those are a thing too). Midori is a Japanese company well known of its refillable travel notebooks and great paper. Pricey, though. Personally, I repurposed an old leather billfold my dad gave me, and it works awesome. But obviously that's a unique situation.

I am another one of the fountain pen users here. I love my metropolitan, as well as my Twsbi Eco. Both can be found under $30. If not interested in fountain pens, I like the uni-ball Jetstream series, and pilot precise v7. The notebook I find I use the most is the Exceed Hardcover, which can be found at Wal-mart. The paper is fountain pen friendly, and they are very reasonably priced notebooks.

Fisher space pen was the only non fountain pen I preferred, with Parker’s as a runner up. I never found a rollerball that didn’t end up leaking out of the ball at some point. Most ballpoints too.

Moleskiene and field notes are essentially the same thing quality and construction wise, with differing price points. I almost always have an A6 pocket sized one on me. I use fountain pens with an Iron Gall in them, which is fine with that quality of paper (not ideal for most FP inks). Iron Gall is a bit trickier to maintain to some but modern inks have been in my pens for years.

Popov leather makes quality gear and has covers for pocket notebooks. Moleskiene/Field notes aren’t replaceable/restockable though

If you want to try fountain pens, a Pilot 78G from a Japanese Vendor on eBay is a quality pen and the lowest price I’ve seen (been a lot of years since I priced one) and uses the same nib and feed section as a more expensive, metal bodied Pilot Metropolitan. TWSBI Eco would also likely be a good choice, I have a 530 mini that’s flawless.

I use a Sheaffer fountain pen. I have been using them for years
As for the notebook, I have several that I use depending in the situation:

Rhodia #11 Very attractive, good with fountain pens
Clairfontaine 9x14 cm, 96 pages
Apica CD5N is a great little shirt pocket notebook

Fisher space pen was the only non fountain pen I preferred, with Parker’s as a runner up. I never found a rollerball that didn’t end up leaking out of the ball at some point. Most ballpoints too.

Moleskiene and field notes are essentially the same thing quality and construction wise, with differing price points. I almost always have an A6 pocket sized one on me. I use fountain pens with an Iron Gall in them, which is fine with that quality of paper (not ideal for most FP inks). Iron Gall is a bit trickier to maintain to some but modern inks have been in my pens for years.

Popov leather makes quality gear and has covers for pocket notebooks. Moleskiene/Field notes aren’t replaceable/restockable though

If you want to try fountain pens, a Pilot 78G from a Japanese Vendor on eBay is a quality pen and the lowest price I’ve seen (been a lot of years since I priced one) and uses the same nib and feed section as a more expensive, metal bodied Pilot Metropolitan. TWSBI Eco would also likely be a good choice, I have a 530 mini that’s flawless.
You mention leaking ball point pens. Seems I remember fountain pens as leaking also. Been about 50 years since I last used one though.

I’ve been using moleskine notebooks for years now. Usually have a Lamy studio f or xf nib.

I also use the seven seas writer notebooks that I love. They are my favourite books but I keep telling myself I can’t use them until I finish my current notebooks.

I’ve been using moleskine notebooks for years now. Usually have a Lamy studio f or xf nib.

I also use the seven seas writer notebooks that I love. They are my favourite books but I keep telling myself I can’t use them until I finish my current notebooks.

I like the way Moleskines are made, and the huge range. Lamy pens are usually not too wet and it certainly helps that you are using F and XF nibs. You may find that the paper shows too much bleedthrough on the paper. Same goes for Leuchtturm 1917 pocket notebook, well made and designed but the paper doesnt work for medium nibbed pens.

'I also use the seven seas writer notebooks that I love. They are my favourite books but I keep telling myself I can’t use them until I finish my current notebooks.'

This is very Yorkshire, I cannot use a better product until the current product is all used up, then repaired, repaired again and then with the greatest possible reluctance, thrown away.

You mention leaking ball point pens. Seems I remember fountain pens as leaking also. Been about 50 years since I last used one though.

Yep, true enough. Cheaper ballpoints always seemed to have some ink bleed around the ball eventually. Gels were worse about it. Fountain pens? Yeah, they can, but I know how to work around their idiosyncrasies. And still prefer them.

I just don't think you are going to find a refillable pocket notebook, if you are talking loose leaf. Stick to notebooks like Moleskine or other types. The softcover Moleskine are nice for pockets if you are not me. I tend to put too many things in my pockets and they get munched up so I use the hardcover, and I have settled on the 5x8 size as I don't stop and jot things down. If I did that often I would use the 3x5 hardcover ones. I like the paper. It has the right amount of tooth. I can't stand the rhodia paper because it has no tooth. I use a fountain pen on occasion and I have not noticed a lot of issues but I use some pretty fast-drying ink. For quick lists, notes, doodling during meetings or sketching (During meetings) I use a 2mm lead pencil, sharpie pen, or Pilot G2. I decided last year that I lose too many good pens. I have two TWISBI Ecos too. They ain't purdy but hold a lot of ink. I mean a LOT of ink. The caps are also very leak proof. A filled one rolled out of my bag this summer and went unnoticed for several days. The heat caused all the ink to push through the nib into the cap. Nothing left in the reservoir. Wish I took a picture. It was kind of neat. Nothing leaked.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I use these from Franklin Christoph. They work really well. you can also get a leather cover for them.

They look excellent Bigfoot and are confirmed as being FP friendly.

I have seen other refillable notebooks that have not dealt with the issue of what do you do with the completed pages, filing or storage solutions can be difficult but solved by this company.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Not a great picture but here is the leather cover.
FD344357-8DD4-4C2E-8551-6EFE6472E12D.jpeg
2406DBF4-FF64-4942-BE49-281C35A45281.jpeg

Top Bottom