What's new

Best Part of My Lather Goes Down the Drain

Welcome to B&B, Sir Possum092!
I routinely use leftover lather as an aftershave balm!
After the shave, I'll squeeze out the lather from the brush and smear it over shaven face.
Let it sit for a few seconds, then wipe off.
The leftover lather leaves a nice glycerin-like film on the skin.
I'll follow that with a cool washcloth rinse and end with either a regular aftershave or a cologne.
Give it a try; it costs nothing!
I've done that for years as well....especially if it's a high quality soap with a nice scent.

Apply to face during clean up of razor and brush, putting deodorant on etc. Then rinse and do my post shave routine.

I tried being frugal a few days ago and loaded very little soap. Ok, the lather coated my face, and shaved ok, but oh, was not an enjoyable shaver. Nothing nicer than being generous with lather, one of the days pleasure for me.
I'd also say, there's not much difference in the amount of soap or cream needed to give a load more luxurious lather as opposed to something poor.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Anyone else noticing the best part of their lather ends up going down the drain? I felt heartbroken today watching the leftover TOBS Lime Zest lather on my brush go down the drain knowing it gave up the ghost 👻 for nothing. I had enough beautiful, rich, creamy lather for another complete shave but the Rex Ambassador and a third use Perma-Sharp blade made quick work today. Only needed a single pass; nothing left to shave afterwards, so all my nice lather was rinsed out.
I use rather thin wet lather. Not much left for the drain.

There are some options not mentioned so far. One is to squeeze out the wonderful rich lather and add it to your face. Move it to the tip of the brush and paint in on. Another is to return the excess lather to the mug. It will help keep the puck better hydrated and make the next day easier to lather. Depending on the soap the next day it will be just a thin coating on top of the puck or it will still stand up nearly how you left it but dried out. What you realize at this point is that there really isn't much soap involved. Still another is to drop the excess into a spare mug or bowl and continue collecting until you have enough to start using it as a puck. Push the fluffy stuff down before adding more and compress it into the mug. This is especially useful when using shaving cream and capturing the excess lather. The resulting mixture of scents is actually delightful.

You really are not discarding much soap but if it bothers you, try one or more of the above.

How big was the brush? Switching to one with a smaller knot might help. I tend not to waste much lather that way.
Not sure. Cheapo boar brush.
618DD777-E0FE-45BA-9E81-F1C40A9E8020.jpeg

Nope. I wash the remaining brush lather down the drain and also wash off the soap puck and container. My brushes are immaculate with no residue to be found and I don’t have a single shedder out of the dozens I own.

Also, 100-ish shaves from a $15 puck? Not like I am throwing a ton of money down the drain.

Not sure. Cheapo boar brush.
View attachment 1453744

I would style that a mid-sized boar. One finds those for cheap in department stores, sometimes rebranded Omegas. As has been said before, start out with less cream next time. I'm a big fan of palm-lathering, and I've found that it helps me to control how much lather I'm making. Most of the lather for the first pass is made on the palm, followed by the remaining lather in the knot being used for the second pass and touch-ups (that's all I ever do). As a result, a small brush works well, smaller than what you've pictured there.

Welcome to B&B, Sir Possum092!
I routinely use leftover lather as an aftershave balm!
After the shave, I'll squeeze out the lather from the brush and smear it over shaven face.
Let it sit for a few seconds, then wipe off.
The leftover lather leaves a nice glycerin-like film on the skin.
I'll follow that with a cool washcloth rinse and end with either a regular aftershave or a cologne.
Give it a try; it costs nothing!
Precisely my routine, as well. I'll clean my gear while the lather is on my face, then rinse my face & apply aftershave.

Top Bottom