What's new

Best Part of My Lather Goes Down the Drain

Anyone else noticing the best part of their lather ends up going down the drain? I felt heartbroken today watching the leftover TOBS Lime Zest lather on my brush go down the drain knowing it gave up the ghost 👻 for nothing. I had enough beautiful, rich, creamy lather for another complete shave but the Rex Ambassador and a third use Perma-Sharp blade made quick work today. Only needed a single pass; nothing left to shave afterwards, so all my nice lather was rinsed out.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I feel your pain! I often do a single pass, but pretty much always load the same way, so often have some excess lather. I have figured out some soaps that load easily, others not so much. Having an abundance of soap I still tend to just load away.

I feel your pain! I often do a single pass, but pretty much always load the same way, so often have some excess lather. I have figured out some soaps that load easily, others not so much. Having an abundance of soap I still tend to just load away.
I use a coin to gauge the amount needed, but today‘s wasted lather was excessive. The shave was super efficient which was lovely…guess it makes up the difference. 😍

Nope.

Once you get the amount needed dialed in, a minimal amount is wasted. In the end, even if you waste a full pass or two, it's pocket change.

As a face latherer, I can control how much is used and released. I don't overload during first pass and will go back to the puck if needed or doing a second pass.

Welcome to B&B, Sir Possum092!
I routinely use leftover lather as an aftershave balm!
After the shave, I'll squeeze out the lather from the brush and smear it over shaven face.
Let it sit for a few seconds, then wipe off.
The leftover lather leaves a nice glycerin-like film on the skin.
I'll follow that with a cool washcloth rinse and end with either a regular aftershave or a cologne.
Give it a try; it costs nothing!

I always complete the shave with a final lather after the final pass. It feels great and helps eliminate ingrowns. As I grow older and look at the number of soaps in the closet that are likely to survive me, I'm increasingly less concerned about wasting soap. :laugh:

I guess it’s small change in the grande scheme of things. At this point I think it’s a 50/50 split…today was 25/75. At least the drain and sink smells wonderful throughout the day.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If I have left over soap lather and enjoy the scent I leave it in the bowl so the fragrance permeates my small bathroom for the rest of day and when dried down take some toilet tissue and wipe and throw it in the waste basket instead of the sink.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 Lather left in the shave bowl turns into a snowflake-like powder which rehydrates with a wet brush.

AA

Nope.

Once you get the amount needed dialed in, a minimal amount is wasted. In the end, even if you waste a full pass or two, it's pocket change.

As a face latherer, I can control how much is used and released. I don't overload during first pass and will go back to the puck if needed or doing a second pass.

This here for me... at least when I have a good soap that loads easy and I pay attention. If the soap takes more than a few seconds of swirling to load the brush well, then I'm honestly not so sad to see it go anyway.

For me, the ‘wasted’ lather is akin to crushing down the highway in a comfortable ’luxury’ car: definitely not economical, but an enjoyable way to see the world!! :a29::a29:

Just need to dial in the shaft squeezing... :eek6:

Sorry, knot. After each pass, I squeeze and pull the lather up to the top of the brush where it is more useful. With floppier brushes, I have to use the side of my finger about three times all the way around or all the lather will come out. I don't like not having enough lather and some brushes waste more than others, but I at least try to use what I have instead of overloading.

There are two possible solutions to your problem:

1. Make less lather by loading less soap onto your brush.
2. Do more passes.

I only load my brush for 10 seconds, but I still make too much lather. I do a standard three-pass shave, do a 4th clean-up pass and then a 5th bonus lather to allow the conditioning ingredients in the soap to soak into my skin while I am cleaning up my shave gear. Even with five lather passes, I still end up with some lather left in my bowl and brush. However, I have more than enough soap to last me until I am 100 years old, so i do not worry about some going down the drain.

Top Bottom