What's new

Best Options for SKIN FRIENDLY Creams which are BRUSHLESS?

I tried Cremo a few weeks back, with high expectations since it gets so many great reviews. It just wasn't for me, though. Three problems:
  1. I just didn't like how thin it goes on when you apply a proper amount. I like having that "visual feedback" of a thick lather. With the near-invisible Cremo, I kept worrying that I was going to miss a spot because I couldn't clearly see which parts were already shaved and which parts still needed shaving.
  2. When it's wet, Cremo feels like my whole face is covered in a cartridge razor's "lube strip". That's not a compliment. Just a bit TOO slick and slimy for my tastes.
  3. When it's NOT wet, it feels more like thick mud. I had to stop and splash more water on my face every minute or so to "reactivate" it.
Pretty much the only time I go without a brush is when I travel, which is pretty seldom these days. I travel with a disposable razor anyway, so my expectations for cream aren't all that high. I just get by with a TSA-sized can of Barbasol or Edge. However, some of these comments are encouraging me to give the Neutragena, Aveeno, or King of Shaves a try.

Dove Men+Care Expert Shave Cream, only bad thing is that it's now discontinued but when I'm in a hurry it works great.
IMG_4957.JPG

I recently had an unusual occurence where I found myself rushed in the morning, which has led to my exploring the world of brushless shaving creams: everything from canned creams (e. g. Proraso and Noxcema) to creams in pump dispensers (e.g. Kiss My Face Moisture Shave).

Despite it being in such a dispenser, I use KMF as if it was a "normal" crean in a tube, and lather it up. I totally loathed the Lucky Tiger "Molle" cream when I tried that. Back in the day ('50s/60s, my youth), I bought and used both brushless and lathering creams with the Gillette brand on them, and liked both.

Most of the postwar brushless creams, in jars or tubes, were off the market, which was dominated by canned shaving foams, and also by a lot more electric shaver users as a percentage back then. Just recently I looked in the shaving supplies at my local HEB supermarket (Texas store chain), and saw a jar of Pinaud Classic Barber Shave Cream, for which I've already forgotten the cost.

It rattled around the house a few days, resting in the kitchen at first, then partway to the master bathroom, atop a dresser in the bedroom, until today. I needed a shave, not having really paid attention to my beard in a couple of days. If anything, my prep was a bit on the inadequate side, not really having been "wet" enough for two days growth.

(Hmm? Just lost a sentence I'd entered. No idea where it went!) It's got the look, not the texture, of an uncooked merrengue. Quite thin. No mention of lather or brush anywhere. I did use a brush. It did not lather. It did a better job with my Schick Injector G-model than many lathered soaps and creams have done.

Mind you, I will never plan on using such products, but I would like to have them on hand just in case I need them in a pinch.

Somehow I think most of us have come to regard canned creams as not being good for the skin owing to the propellants and various other other chemicals in their list of ingredients. However, the mass produced creams (GFT, DRH, T&H, etc.) also contain various chemicals.

Can anyone chime in with recommendations for brushless creams which are undoubtedly skin-friendly and highly effective in terms of cushion, glide and post-shave results?

Gentlemen, let's dispense with any bemoaning or charges of heresy, shall we? Please? :biggrin1:

In the meantime, I can say without hesitation that the following products worked extremely well for me in terms of cushion, glide and post-shave results.

View attachment 641281View attachment 641280

image.jpeg

I used this last week when pressed for time. Outstanding product with a wonderful scent.

I used Proraso Preshave Cream with it this time around, and the results were even better than before. I'm now beginning to think that using Proraso Preshave Cream might be a way of getting superior results with just about any shaving foam. I will be putting the theory to the test the next few times I find myself rushed for time using foams which I have already found to be just okay in terms of skin care.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I have not tried it, but have you looked into Myrsol liquid shave cream?

Also looking forward to your thoughts on the Speick foam

Last edited:
Aside from creams that are very firm (I'm looking at you, Castle Forbes!) I'd think you could use almost any cream without a brush. I use tube Proraso this way often, and have skipped the brush with Speick and TOBS as well.

I have not tried it, but have you looked into Myrsol liquid shave cream?

Also looking forward to your thoughts on the Speick foam

I have never tried the Myrsol Liquid, but that is an excellent suggestion.

Speck foam is very, very good. It's very protective and nourishing. Buy with confidence.

1. Barbasol Non Aerosol cream. That's the original Barbasol before canned foam was invented. It has great healing properties too and can be used on rashes. You could find this stuff in almost every American service member's hygiene kit during WWII. I get pretty good shaves from this. It has a classic soapy smell to it.

2. Grooming Lounge Shaving Cream. My dad swears by this stuff. He's been using it for several years. I have used it a few times with good results.

3. Myrsol Emulsion. This stuff is super moisturizing. I have used it to shave my neck and line up my beard. It also works as an ASB if you have a rough shave and need some healing.

4. Somerset Shaving Oil. This is the best thing I have in my arsenal. A few drops goes a long way and you don't need to reapply for a second pass.

Pacific Shaving Company all natural shaving cream is also quite good without a brush. The only other one I'd recommend is Aveeno Positively Smooth Shave cream. Both gave me really good shaves.

Just tried Aveno Simple Smooth today on a recommendation from another thread and I would say it's probably the best there is for brushless products. I actually had a hard time believing that it came from a can because the performance and post shave were so much like a high quality cream or soap.

Pacific Shaving Company all natural shaving cream is also quite good without a brush. The only other one I'd recommend is Aveeno Positively Smooth Shave cream. Both gave me really good shaves.

I'm finding out that the Pacific Shaving Company "Natural" is a hidden GEM. I really would like to know how this cream works so well. The cream is vegan, so I think it is heavy glycerin cream. I'm going to pair the Natural cream with a Lime after shave for a summer selection.
MM879

I'm finding out that the Pacific Shaving Company "Natural" is a hidden GEM. I really would like to know how this cream works so well. The cream is vegan, so I think it is heavy glycerin cream. I'm going to pair the Natural cream with a Lime after shave for a summer selection.

Pacific Shaving Company "Natural" indgredients:
Certified Organic Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Myristic Acid (derived from palm kernel and coconut oils), Stearic Acid (derived from vegetable fats and oils), Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin (vegetable-based), Certified Organic Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Certified Organic Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Peel Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil, Citrus Tangerina (Tangerine) Peel Oil, Certified Organic Camellia Sinensis (White Tea) Leaf Extract, Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Certified Organic Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Extract, Symphytum Officinale (Comfrey) Extract, Trifolium Pretense (Clover) Extract, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Fruit Extract, Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root Extract, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Sorbic Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Hydroxyethylcellulose

Top Bottom