What's new

Best Options for SKIN FRIENDLY Creams which are BRUSHLESS?

I recently had an unusual occurence where I found myself rushed in the morning, which has led to my exploring the world of brushless shaving creams: everything from canned creams (e. g. Proraso and Noxcema) to creams in pump dispensers (e.g. Kiss My Face Moisture Shave). Mind you, I will never plan on using such products, but I would like to have them on hand just in case I need them in a pinch.

Somehow I think most of us have come to regard canned creams as not being good for the skin owing to the propellants and various other other chemicals in their list of ingredients. However, the mass produced creams (GFT, DRH, T&H, etc.) also contain various chemicals.

Can anyone chime in with recommendations for brushless creams which are undoubtedly skin-friendly and highly effective in terms of cushion, glide and post-shave results?

Gentlemen, let's dispense with any bemoaning or charges of heresy, shall we? Please? :biggrin1:

In the meantime, I can say without hesitation that the following products worked extremely well for me in terms of cushion, glide and post-shave results.

$image.jpeg$image.jpeg

My vote is "kiss my face". Awesome lather and slickness and great ingredient list as well. Works great with a little Proraso added to the brush too.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I have Rise Shave Cream and use it once in while.

Trusted Since the 50's

Made in China

Helps Protect Against Irritation

I use it once in a while

i used TWBW's can of Barbasol foam a couple weeks ago, just as a trial.
it was totally rich and thick, but i felt that it actually dried my whiskers rather than hydrating them.
i went back to a shave soap and brush for second pass.
but if you like your canned foam, that's great, YMMV.

proxy.php

i used TWBW's can of Barbasol foam a couple weeks ago, just as a trial.
it was totally rich and thick, but i felt that it actually dried my whiskers rather than hydrating them.
i went back to a shave soap and brush for second pass.
but if you like your canned foam, that's great, YMMV.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I like the canned foam. It's just that I would use these two (Proraso and Noxcema) in a pinch, but only when absolutely necessary.

I'd much rather be using the likes of these:

$image.jpegView attachment 641308

Cremo is an excellent choice.

Baxter Super Close Shave Formula (tub)

Kiehls Ultimate Brushless Shave Cream (2scents, tub or tube)

AVEDA Pure-Performance Shave Cream (tube)

the last 3 are premium ($$$) products and meet your criteria.

as an aside KMF is a Lather shave cream.

Though I get better results with some brush-style shaving creams, I find (canned) Decleor Express Shave Foam Gel performs fairly well (even better than many brush/brushless creams/soaps I've tried).

All Proraso tube creams can be used brushless. They market the blue and white versions as skin-friendly.

Hi Timothy,

You can give Razor MD Natural Unscented a try. No brushing, no lathering, but good glide.
proxy.php

Last edited:
My wife bought me a large tub of Kiehl's last year. At first I turned my nose up at it, then I used it, then I liked it. I've got through over half of it and may replace after this year's sabbatical.

Somehow I think most of us have come to regard canned creams as not being good for the skin owing to the propellants and various other other chemicals in their list of ingredients. However, the mass produced creams (GFT, DRH, T&H, etc.) also contain various chemicals.

Can anyone chime in with recommendations for brushless creams which are undoubtedly skin-friendly and highly effective in terms of cushion, glide and post-shave results?
It's not just containing chemicals (everything is chemicals), it's what chemicals they contain. Canned foams all (I've never seen one that doesn't) contain sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) which is a skin irritant for many people. So regardless of what they claim on the can as far as being for sensitive skin or whatever, they do not fall into the "undoubtedly skin-friendly" category. Other offending ingredients are menthol and essential oils.

Something like Kiss My Face fragrance free cream would be what I'd look for if I wanted that sort of cream. I'd pass on any of the crap in a can.

At one time, there was a product available at most mass-market pharmacies called "King of Shaves". British product, in a tube. Did an excellent job, for being a non-lathering product.

FWIW.

Beerman

I've been having a great deal of luck with, and heartily recommend, two European tube-style creams; Gillette for Sensitive Skin and Palmolive. I suppose that technically these are intended for brush application, but I just use my fingers and get spectacular results. Very slick with great glide and kind to faces as well. The Gillette has a fairly strong scent, but really leaves my face feeling great. If you want to try the Palmolive, I recommend red tube more than the green. I've pretty much dumped everything else, including TOBS, since I came upon these two. Really kind to wallets, too.

http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/palmolive-shaving-cream-classic-100g-tube/

http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/gillette-shaving-cream-for-sensitive-skin-100g-tube/

I was going to recommend the red can Noxzema, but I can see you've already found it. I find it to be quick, easy, and good for my skin.

Just use your regular creams without a brush. Everything from Proraso to Nancy Boy _can_ be used with just your fingers, and it'll work better than the pseudo-magic "butter/gel" stuff or the spray gloop.

Top Bottom