What's new

Best oil to keep my razor rust free ?

Any ideas? what to use? don't care ordering it, don't care for the price, just really want something great, not for a long time storage, but to use daily after I finish shaving to prevent rust

( I meant oil, not "oild")

This post is in DE razors. You should not have an issue with a plated razor rusting. Now a straight razor is another matter all together.

How about letting us know what type and brand of razor you are talking about

No double-edged razor that I know of should rust, stainless ones shouldn't rust but dry it after use if you want to be sure and plated razors won't rust at all.

Nickel, brass, and stainless steel don't rust. Some blades can show light rust. If you want an oil, just get some baby oil at any corner druggist.

Keep in mind the best oils for keeping steel rust free may not be very good for your skin. Mineral oil or baby oil (which is just scented mineral oil) aren't the best for rust prevention but they work ok and more importantly are safe for skin contact.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
So this is about straights, or DE razors? As stated, hardly any DE razor will rust. I have never seen one made from carbon steel, unplated, I am sure.

For straights, I use motor oil. It makes an excellent film on steel, something that baby oil does not necessarily do all that well. It is cheap. Free, actually. When you change the oil in your car, the few drops left in the can will last you quite a long time. Naturally you wipe the blade clean no matter what oil you use, before stropping and shaving.

Petroleum jelly is what I use for long term storage, or shipping. Motor oil for the rotation.

Be aware that some scales are affected by oils. Some guys swear by silicone impregnated sleeves for rust prevention.

Hi,

Even my plastic DE razors get a rust film. No way to stop it. Not drying. Not oil. The rust is in the water, called chalybeate. The next liitle town from me is named Chalybeate Springs. Anyone care to guess why?

So, if the OP has this kind of water, all he can do is a cleaning job once in a while.

Stan

Hi,

Even my plastic DE razors get a rust film. No way to stop it. Not drying. Not oil. The rust is in the water, called chalybeate. The next liitle town from me is named Chalybeate Springs. Anyone care to guess why?

So, if the OP has this kind of water, all he can do is a cleaning job once in a while.

Stan

Not Rust. Rust happens to steel. Silver can corrode and the black surface is normally a silver sulfate caused by air pollution containing sulfur. If you live in a area with lots of minerals in the tap water then dry the razor thoroughly after use and rinsing as the water can leave a coating on the surface, what it sounds like you are describing. After shaving and rinsing a dip in distilled water followed by one in high proof alcohol might help too. Alcohol displaces water and evaporates quickly.

Hi,

Rust is simply oxidized iron. In my case, it is already in the water. Drying does help some, but it will still leave some behind. The only way to get rid of all of it is a dip in strong acid, which has worse effects than a little rust staining. So, rust forms on every material around here. The next town up the road is named for it. Chalybeate Springs. Yup. It was a spa town in the 1800s. ;)

Stan

That much rust in the water must make your clothes discolored and the coffee taste lousy. Make terrible whiskey too! Everyone drink bottled water? I have heard of some people using bottled water for shaving in hard water areas. In some areas of Nevada, where I am, people need to worry about arsenic and mercury levels in their ground water.

Top Bottom