What's new

Best oil for treating leather? Mink Oil? Other suggestions?

Best oil for treating leather goods? Does it matter what kind of leather it is? Wanted to buy something to eventually treat by Filson bridle leather straps on my bags and LLBean boots.

A friend recommended mink oil? Is that a good purchase?

Depends on the leather and why you're treating it.

Mink oil does a good job, but many feel that it will eventially destroy the stitching. I've not found that to be the case. My Bean boots have been treated with nothing but Sno-Seal once a year since 1985. Yep, they're nearly 30 years old. I've sent them back to LLBean 3 times for new soles as they wear out, but the leather is original and in great shape. They serve me well in snow and ice, as well as the 100 degree dove fields of Texas. The stuff does the job. I've even treated my Saddleback briefcase with Sno Seal and really liked the result. Many swear by Obenauf's and it has a great reputation. It is similar to Sno Seal.

For my Red Wing Iron Ranger boots, I use Red Wing Boot Oil. Rather than purchasing it, I just go to my local Red Wing store and have them perform the free oiling and put on the free laces 2x per year. Easy...

I just purchased leather honey cleaner and conditioner. I can let you know how they work over the weekend. Both got great praise on the interwebz based on my research.

I just treated a pair of shoes with Frye Leather Conditioning Cream. Like most products, it darkened the color a bit, but very happy with the result. I chose the cream versus the spray since you can control the application better, ie. less likely to have oil spots on lighter leathers due to accidental dripping.

check out Montana Pitch Blend. I use it on all my leather goods. Everything from my custom wallets to my riding boots and spur straps. it has mink oil, pine pitch, and mink oil. a little goes a long way.

Depends on the leather and why you're treating it.

Mink oil does a good job, but many feel that it will eventially destroy the stitching. I've not found that to be the case. My Bean boots have been treated with nothing but Sno-Seal once a year since 1985. Yep, they're nearly 30 years old. I've sent them back to LLBean 3 times for new soles as they wear out, but the leather is original and in great shape. They serve me well in snow and ice, as well as the 100 degree dove fields of Texas. The stuff does the job. I've even treated my Saddleback briefcase with Sno Seal and really liked the result. Many swear by Obenauf's and it has a great reputation. It is similar to Sno Seal.

For my Red Wing Iron Ranger boots, I use Red Wing Boot Oil. Rather than purchasing it, I just go to my local Red Wing store and have them perform the free oiling and put on the free laces 2x per year. Easy...

Sno-Seal is the gold standard for leather for me. I, as have you, have experienced a 25+ year track record of satisfaction on all my leather goods. Will not change a thing.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Best oil for treating leather goods? Does it matter what kind of leather it is? Wanted to buy something to eventually treat by Filson bridle leather straps on my bags and LLBean boots.

Saphir Renovateur for dress shoes, and Obenauf’s LP for all other.

<Saphir Renovateur for dress shoes>

Big plus one on this, and I do not think it would hurt any shiny leather if one can afford to use it. I use some kind of soccer shoe "leather food" my son had on on other leather and occasionally on dress shoes. I also use Carr & Day & Martin "Ko-Cho-Line" Leather Dressing, a product for equine tack treatment. This stuff seems to be originally designed to prevent mold and mildrew on stored equine leather products, but "can also be used to renovate and revive tired saddlery." Kind of a purple or pink grease. It came highly recommended to me by someone should know for preserving any kind of leather from dress shoes on down, but not for aniline or untreated leather. I have used it and it seems good, but I cannot say I have really put it to the test. Same for the the soccer shoe stuff.

OK Oil from Dayton Boots is great stuff. No idea what’s in it. Ancient hyper secret formula....
Tad spendy (they kill you on shipping from Vancouver BC). But excellent on all my leather boots.

Neatsfoot oil is the traditional oil for tanned leathers.

If you want a little shine without compromising the stiffness a 50-50 resolene and water is spectacular. Leaves a thin layer of acrylic.

Carnuba wax can be used as a topcoat as well for a little shine.

Mink oil will soften leather, but you’ll never get another shine on it again without serious, long effort.

I thought Saphir Renovateur was high in mink oil and it will shine shoes all by itself and certainly does not interfere with the shining the shoe conventionally. But it does seem that I have heard of negative effects of using mink oil on dress shoes, and interfering with shining sounds right. I am puzzled.

Really depends on the leather how it’s tanned mink oil could darken fine leather chamberlains, bickmore, leather honey all good products but I’d check with manufacturers recommendations first

I've been using Venetia
ven.jpg
n Cream since the 1960's , it's what Horween uses , and they know leather...... Venetian Cream

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I've been using Saphir for a while. It's very good, but ridiculously expensive. I'm getting Venetian, about 1/3 the price and I hear nothing but good about it.
I think Saphir is overrated, it's definitely overpriced. The biggest booster of Saphir on YouTube is probably Kirby Allison on the Hanger Project; of course he sells it (at a high price over Amazon), and as far as I know Saphir sponsors his videos. Not really a problem, but take it for what it's worth to you,

Top Bottom