What's new

Best of the Three T’s including D.R Harris

Hello there,

I am a brand new member to this forum so hello everyone!

I recently have got into traditional shaving and have been looking to invest in some of the most classic of gentleman shaving products that there is.

I have a straight razor from DOVO, a badger brush from Truefitt and Hill and shaving cream from Taylor of Old Bond Street. I have just ordered some Eucris shaving cream from Geo F Trumper to see how that compares.

With all of these options which products out of the 3 T’s in general are the best quality when it comes to:

1. Shaving brushes
2. Shaving soaps/creams
3. Razors
4. Aftershaves/colognes

Also if you had to pick one, including D.R. Harris in this, out of the 4 shops, which would you regard as the most classic and traditional and why?

Thank you.

Of the 4 shops - Trumper’s, Curzon Street, and D.R Harris St.James Street have the most character.

D.R. Harris is my preferred choice of soap, and I‘ve never noticed much difference, performance wise, between any of the shaving creams.

I’ve only used badger brushes, and prefer Kent over anything else, but that’s just my personal choice.

There were two “ifs” in RobD57’s post:
1. “Unless you keep the brushes clean.”
2. “Not an issue if you let the brushes air out properly.”

Therefore the whole discussion is a non-starter for me and I don’t even have to dissect the question whether natural fibre is inherently less sanitary than man-made fibres.

Besides, I believe that some people overthink the question of microbes and bacteria.
Human skin has evolved over thousand of years, protects us pretty well, and our ancestors survived all kind of scratches rummaging through the forests.

B.
You're right, I'm wrong.

Peace, Happy New Year.

Of the 4 shops - Trumper’s, Curzon Street, and D.R Harris St.James Street have the most character.

D.R. Harris is my preferred choice of soap, and I‘ve never noticed much difference, performance wise, between any of the shaving creams.

I’ve only used badger brushes, and prefer Kent over anything else, but that’s just my personal choice.
Thanks for your response. Out of the 2 shops, Harris and Trumpers, what would you say was the more traditional/classic of the two? Or even looking?

I see, and what grade of badger do you use? Is the jump from super badger to silvertip worth it?

Thanks for your response. Out of the 2 shops, Harris and Trumpers, what would you say was the more traditional/classic of the two? Or even looking?

I see, and what grade of badger do you use? Is the jump from super badger to silvertip worth it?

I‘d say Trumper’s shop has a little more character. Both are very welcoming and offer excellent service.

Floris on Jermyn Street is another class establishment, and their No.89 soap and cream are very good.

My experience of brushes is limited to Kent and Vulfix pure badger, Simpsons pure and best badger, and Kent Silvertip. My favourites are the Kent Silvertip.
I can’t imagine any brush being softer, and they’re very good for bowl or face lathering with either soap or cream.

the performance gap of the creams is not necessarily big enough to justify choosing between them imo. They each have scents that are worth having though. There's plenty of discussion and description and reviews of them on B&B but I've found all of them to be servicable, good products with scents ranging from horrifically bad (in my opinion) to amazing and something I'd love to use forever.

The aftershaves are a bit different since not all of them offer an aftershave that I would actually use on my face. The alcohol based ones are very potent, strongly scented and high in alcohol content. They're expensive, but if you like the scents especially bayrum, sandalwood etc. they're some of the nicest you can buy in AS format.

How come you were not that much attracted to Truefitt and Hill? I personally think their cologne Apsley is extremely pleasant and their Wellington badger brush I can’t complain about as it’ the one I use, no problems so far.

Interesting you say D.R. Harris is your go to. Why so? Are they better quality than the other 4?

You say the other 4 don’t make their shaving brushes but a quick google search showed T&H are made in the UK. Does that mean made in the UK but not by them? I also heard somewhere that Simpsons brushes were no longer made in the UK, is this wrong? Also is a Simpsons Super Badger and Silvertip much different? Is it worth just getting a silvertip?

What would be your first choice of straight razors? Why not DOVO?

Fair point about the warrant.
Simpson brushes are made in The Isle of Man which is part of the UK.

Q. How come you were not that much attracted to Truefitt and Hill? I personally think their cologne Apsley is extremely pleasant and their Wellington badger brush I can’t complain about as it’ the one I use, no problems so far.
A. Personal preference, I just liked Taylor and D.R. Harris better.

Q. Interesting you say D.R. Harris is your go to. Why so? Are they better quality than the other 4?
A. As I mentioned, when Taylor thinned out their range of shaving soaps, I found in D.R. Harris excellent products where shaving soaps and After Shaves/Eaux de Cologne performed very well and had a scent that I liked.

Q. You say the other 4 don’t make their shaving brushes but a quick google search showed T&H are made in the UK. Does that mean made in the UK but not by them?
A. Correct.

Q. I also heard somewhere that Simpsons brushes were no longer made in the UK, is this wrong? Also is a Simpsons Super Badger and Silvertip much different? Is it worth just getting a silvertip?
A. ‘I heard somewhere’ is just another way of saying ‘according to unconfirmed reports’.
What I would do if I wanted to find out is go to the Simpsons website, find their location and then locate it on (Google or other) maps.
Hint: You could simplify your search by finding out which country the country code of their telephone number belongs to.
As far as the various Simpsons hair grades are concerned, go to their website and check under ‘Brushes’. Among Simpsons badger brushes, many consider their Best Badger grade the best overall combination of backbone, softness and price. I should mention however that - while I have no problems - reports of shedding seem to be more common with Simpsons than with brands from the continent like Shavemac.

Q. What would be your first choice of straight razors? Why not DOVO?
A. Dovo razor quality is inconsistent and they don’t leave the factory anywhere near shave-ready according to my and many other shavers’ standards (although some people with different standards from mine claim they do). Part of this could be explained by lack of experience among the people making them.
I consider Aust, Böker and Wacker (plus some others) a better choice in this respect.

B.
I'd recommend Thiers-Issard.

the performance gap of the creams is not necessarily big enough to justify choosing between them imo. They each have scents that are worth having though. There's plenty of discussion and description and reviews of them on B&B but I've found all of them to be servicable, good products with scents ranging from horrifically bad (in my opinion) to amazing and something I'd love to use forever.

The aftershaves are a bit different since not all of them offer an aftershave that I would actually use on my face. The alcohol based ones are very potent, strongly scented and high in alcohol content. They're expensive, but if you like the scents especially bayrum, sandalwood etc. they're some of the nicest you can buy in AS format.
D.R. Harris make probably the best performing aftershaves (both their splashes and their AS milk) and their bay rum is the best bay rum I have ever tried, it's outstanding. Their splashes actually don't leave my skin feeling dry like other splashes and help moisturize.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Hello there,

I am a brand new member to this forum so hello everyone!

I recently have got into traditional shaving and have been looking to invest in some of the most classic of gentleman shaving products that there is.

I have a straight razor from DOVO, a badger brush from Truefitt and Hill and shaving cream from Taylor of Old Bond Street. I have just ordered some Eucris shaving cream from Geo F Trumper to see how that compares.

With all of these options which products out of the 3 T’s in general are the best quality when it comes to:

1. Shaving brushes
2. Shaving soaps/creams
3. Razors
4. Aftershaves/colognes

Also if you had to pick one, including D.R. Harris in this, out of the 4 shops, which would you regard as the most classic and traditional and why?

Thank you.
Welcome to B & B!

Of those 4, it's D.R. Harris soaps for me. Arlington is my favorite -- have used it for many, many years. I have Windsor also, but have not used it much, so for me, the jury is still out on that scent.

Cheers!
Tony

Top Bottom