What's new

Best obscure blades worth trying.

Thanks very much guys. There are some really good suggestions there. I'll certainly try my best to find some of these. There are some brands here I've never heard of I imagine they could be pretty hard to find, where as others i think i should easily get my hands on.
I think the Treet Blacks should be obtainable. I already use the durasharp and the Treet platinum are one of my favourite blades so I'm looking forward to those.
Kai and gillette rubies I imagine will be easily had so I'll get them too whiles I scour the web looking for the rest!
Cheers gents.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Blue Bird blades are no good. I can put up with many blades , but the BB's are no good.

Seven A.M. are liked by few, but I like them.

And Dorco 301's aren't bad.

LORD Platinum

Low cost blade from Egypt. Maybe not quite as smooth as some of the great Russian blades, but it consistently gives a great, irritation-free shave. If my favorite Russian blades (Polsilver, Rubie, Nacet) suddenly disappeared, I could easily live with the LORD Platinum.

Of all the Things I have Lost, I Miss my Mind the Most.
-Mark Twain-

Purchase some Personna 74 blades ---

Very expensive as they are not made anymore but they are known to be the kings of longevity (many users have reported shave counts above 50 per blade). There are a few threads about them here-and-there but no where near the amount of Astras, Feathers, Labs/Blues, etc as the primary source of purchase is eBay.

Zaza from Turkey. Not vastly superior blades; comparable to Derby or Shark. Catchy packaging. They are made by the Zaza Group of Istanbul, which went into business of Hardware and Cutlery in 1917 during the Ottoman Empire. They are now a conglomerate that is into many things. Remaining personal care products include Zaza and Lord blades, trimmers, and disposable razors.

I've got Asco red and find them a bit harsh for some reason. Is there much difference between the red and orange?

I find the orange much smoother and a better shave. I have tried them back to back and separated by various other blades. Always have enjoyed the orange more. Not sure what the actual difference is but there is one.

one more:

Attachments

• $Aeterna.jpg
    $Aeterna.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 127
Maybe not so rare but I can only find Wizamet Iridium Super blades currently selling at one location in Canada. Try a blade has some too.

If you can get hold of them, vintage Personna Face Guard blades are very interesting. They are from the same time period of the renowned 74s and might even use the same materials, but there is a guard which makes it harder to cut yourself too badly. Because they are less known, they are much cheaper than the 74s. They work great for me in shavettes but they also work fine in normal razors, especially if you're not looking for a super aggressive shave, or shave every day. I've gotten 9 or 10 shaves off one, and I'm not usually into stretching out blade life.

Tried a 7am Platinum today for the first time, and it was a smooth great shave. Other blades I like that are not mentioned very much are:

Croma (german blades)
Laser Platinum
Big Ben's

There are plenty of cheap blades that'll give you one or maybe two good shaves (like Treet for example) then fall off a cliff in terms of sharpness. There are also some cheap blades that just plain suck. The hard part is finding a cheap blade that is sharp and stays that way for several shaves.

For an obscure really great, inexpensive blade I like Racer blades.
They are cheap, very sharp and have good longevity. Once in the razor I can't tell them apart from a more expensive very good quality blade.

Top Bottom