What's new

Best "non-shaving" items / finds for shaving?

Feeling bored, but had a thought.....

What are the best items or finds that you have stumbled in to for use in your shave den? These can be anything that you use in your den, or during your shave.

I found these little 1 oz plastic bottles on ebay/amazon that came with a flip spout.
Combined with plastic pipettes that I also got on ebay.

I like the bottles because they will stand upright in my bathroom drawer, and the flip spout makes it super quick and easy to open, shake a bit out, and close back up.
The pipettes are a great way to accurately measure and create aftershave blends that I want to try.

So, what have you found?

I picked up a salsa bowl with a rough and gritty inside years ago when I tried bowl lathering. I wasn’t impressed, a smooth bowl was no better. Both bowls were dollar store finds, though the small salsa bowl does make a good bowl to soak the brush than afterwards clean the razor during the shave so I don’t have to keep turning on the faucet.

-Granite mortar with some ridges inside. It just has the right amount of roughness inside to lather like crazy.
-Y shaped stainless stick on towel hooks because my razors fit, unfortunately just not wide enough for brushes.
-small screw top cosmetic jars for samples
-sisal pad for a pre shave scrub with pre shave soap.

-Salsa bowls make great lather bowls.
-Test tube racks will keep your razors organized and on display.
-Travel-sized containers for transporting shave creams, balms, aftershave, etc.
-Keep your metal things rust-free by throwing in a few of those dessicant packets.
-Small magnets glued to the bathroom medicine cabinet will help keep track of your blades. We're all 'testing' to see what blade works best in what razor.
-Some shavers flip the blade after every shave to get more life out of them. A drop of fingernail polish can help keep track.
-Simply wrap a layer of duct tape around your used blades and discard of.
-Body wash / hair conditioner will work as shaving cream in a pinch.

-Salsa bowls make great lather bowls.
-Test tube racks will keep your razors organized and on display.
-Travel-sized containers for transporting shave creams, balms, aftershave, etc.
-Keep your metal things rust-free by throwing in a few of those dessicant packets.
-Small magnets glued to the bathroom medicine cabinet will help keep track of your blades. We're all 'testing' to see what blade works best in what razor.
-Some shavers flip the blade after every shave to get more life out of them. A drop of fingernail polish can help keep track.
-Simply wrap a layer of duct tape around your used blades and discard of.
-Body wash / hair conditioner will work as shaving cream in a pinch.
-A wire coat hanger or some nickel wire can easily and quickly be bent into a brush drying rack.
-The pharmacy will give you free empty pill bottles. These can hold shave sticks and brushes.
-The dollar store sells a two-pack of hard plastic containers a little larger than a deck of playing cards. Each will fit two razors (or more, if they come apart like a Tech) and a few tucks of blades. They snap shut quite tightly with a silicone O-ring. Toss in one of those dessicant packets and store your favorite razor.

Last edited:
Simply wrap a layer of duct tape around your used blades and discard of.
Do you do this for every blade or do you wrap a bunch of them? All I do is put them inside the same plastic container they came in or put them in a tic tacs mints container

Do you do this for every blade or do you wrap a bunch of them? All I do is put them inside the same plastic container they came in or put them in a tic tacs mints container
I'll tape about ten or so together.
I think I'm going to use your Tic Tac container.

I use a 1/4 tsp measuring spoon to scoop soap out of the container for bowl lathering. It's not as nice to look at as a razor but it works.

Attachments

• IMG_20200407_181539.jpg
    IMG_20200407_181539.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
Rice bowls from pretty much any Goodwill store for bowl lathering. They come in a wide variety of colors and designs and are usually a buck apiece.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Got two large, gray bowls from Walmart for a buck. No longer have to worry about shaving cream in my tiny tot’s cereal bowl.

Empty apple juice bottle has thick walls to house blades on their way to the Upside Down.

Gotta echo @Zig the Pirate’s comment on bodywash and conditioner. My best recent shaves; with as much room for improvement though they had; were with using dollar store conditioner. My fear of dropping a razor again is why I’m back to bowl and brush and pretending I’m not a weirdo.

Top Bottom