What's new

Best Newbie Kit for Wife

Hey guys ........

Perhaps some of you have been in this position before and can give me some recommendations.

I’ve been shaving properly for the last few years and my wife has generally been amused by my new obsession. But lately she has shown a bit more interest in what I’m talking about and why I enjoy shaving with DE, SE, and other types of not-cartridges.

Anyway ..... earlier today she was lamenting all the plastic waste we generate ...... and ALL OF A SUDDEN COMPLAINED ABOUT HER DISPOSABLE RAZOR CARTRIDGES! Needless to say, I jumped on the opportunity to promote DE shaving as a lower waste option. And to my shock and surprise, she did not just brush the idea off.

So ....................

Can anyone recommend a good razor, blade, soap/cream, brush/brushless starter kit for a newbie woman to shave her legs with?

Hey guys ........

Perhaps some of you have been in this position before and can give me some recommendations.

I’ve been shaving properly for the last few years and my wife has generally been amused by my new obsession. But lately she has shown a bit more interest in what I’m talking about and why I enjoy shaving with DE, SE, and other types of not-cartridges.

Anyway ..... earlier today she was lamenting all the plastic waste we generate ...... and ALL OF A SUDDEN COMPLAINED ABOUT HER DISPOSABLE RAZOR CARTRIDGES! Needless to say, I jumped on the opportunity to promote DE shaving as a lower waste option. And to my shock and surprise, she did not just brush the idea off.

So ....................

Can anyone recommend a good razor, blade, soap/cream, brush/brushless starter kit for a newbie woman to shave her legs with?

I found a pristine blue Lady Gillette from the mid '60's for my eldest daughter.

Plus 1 on the blue lady!

Alternatively a pre war tech is something great too especially the English techs.

Pair it with the smoothest blades like astras plats or gsbs.

Soaps and brushes are something difficult to recommend for women lol. Arko or tabac will never get on the list lol.

As a start a good syn brush like a Bruce is great for soaps poraso white, tfs or artisan soaps.... What else lol.

Cheers,

Mawashi

The Lady Gillette is the one I bought my wife, and she still uses it. I have a hard time beating Astra SP blades. They are smooth, sharp, great bang for buck. Synthetic brushes seem the way to go. Plissoft or tuxedo knots can be had at fair prices and are great values. No stink, no break in process, soft feel, and no issues lathering. Stirling is a great value for a soap, easy to work with, available in sample sizes, and has a number of more feminine-friendly scents.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

El cheapo would be a feather popular.
But I would recommend a Rockwell 6s or 6c.

Soap maybe arko Stick, Palmolive Stick or cella...

I think a brush.. Any Synthie will fit. I can recommend yaqi brushes @AliExpress. Under 10€ and a very good quality.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Another vote for a Lady Gillette. Or even a Schick Krona. I read somewhere once that a lot of lady shavers seemed to like using longer handled razors. My mind is foggy sometimes but I am sure that I read it somewhere...

The preference from my other half was for a more lightweight razor and eventually SE over DE. I lost my aluminium ATT R1 and SE1 to her. SE1 for legs. R1 for elsewhere. The bigger problem was the brush / cream. Big Bruce or Omega 10098.

Yes, longer handle, and it makes a difference if she's a shower or tub shaver. My wife shaves in the shower, and preferred the plastic handle on the Knack, so she could hold it with her teeth, rather than trusting the molded shower shelf.:302:

The preference from my other half was for a more lightweight razor and eventually SE over DE. I lost my aluminium ATT R1 and SE1 to her. SE1 for legs. R1 for elsewhere. The bigger problem was the brush / cream. Big Bruce or Omega 10098.

I would buy the 10098 for myself but it's boar and the initial smell could put her off. I'll get the big Bruce.

Lady Gillette or a Lady Schick Eversharp. My wife loves her Injector!!! I think she likes that she doesn't have to touch the blade(she shoots her old blades into my blade bank and never touches them). Also, the longevity of the blades is a huge plus! BUT, I think what she likes the most about using an injector is that it's a lot like shaving with a conventional razor. A nice badger brush is the way to go, West Coast Shaving has a nice 28mm Silver tip for relatively cheap.

I couldn’t get my fiance’ to use one, but heavily considered getting her this one:

The Best Razor For Women | Oui Shave

Beautiful looking razor. I ended up getting her the flamingo cart razor that’s always advertized pn her and she absolutely loves it. Says it’s the best she’s ever used. So if you can’t convince her to go DE, that’s a good option.

Wife claimed my Merkur 23C . She prefers it to the lady Gillette. Her favorite brush is a 26 mm synthetic from Maggards Razors. Go check their website. Several starter sets and some suggestions for women available.

Thanks for the input, gents!

Anybody have experience or opinions on the Parker 29L? My wife prefers new things ..... [emoji2369]

My wife has the 29L, designed after the lady Gillette, with a long rubber coated handle. She loves it, and feels it leaves her legs smoother than a disposable. On retreat last year she used a pink disposable, which sliced her and felt it was rough after using her 29L for 2 years or so.

I first let my wife use a Fatboy which she loved. I got her a blue lady Gillette to try out and she didn’t care for it. Then I got her a Blackbird OC and that’s the one she’s used ever since with Rapira stainless blades and she’s never looked back. I also got her two M&F blonde badger brushes which she dubbed “Beetlegeuse” and “Maybelline” and prefers fresh citrus scents like Hydra and Local Gent Lime.

These are old photos, I was too lazy to get up and take a new pic. LOL
42344CD5-7B06-4010-93B5-F672EA82CEA8.jpeg

90D2BDB5-C111-4F56-9F22-12361EA7F937.jpeg

I purchased the Flamingo for my wife and while she loves the overall ergonomics of the design, the carbon steel blades rush and dull very quickly. She's been so upset with the lack of quality in the blades that she is now considering switching to a DE, so I'm currently on the search for a Lady Gillette.

Top Bottom