What's new

Best New Safety Razors: $20-35

Do you have any outstanding razors that you can purchase new for $20-$35? Please link to a source if possible. Only post a razor if you own it.

I don't own any razors in this price range, so I'm not posting one.

The RazoRock Hawk V2, cost $29.99. It gives a great shave. Here is a link:
RazoRock BLACK HAWK Single Edge Razor - V2 – ItalianBarber - https://www.italianbarber.com/products/razorock-black-hawk-single-edge-razor

Hawk_Mystic Water.JPG

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
From the title, I am keeping my list to new razors that I own (and shave with) in the $20 - $35 range.

FaTip Piccolo SE
FaTip Grande
RazoRock Hawk v2
RazoRock Lupo
Global Shave Club R41+

YMMV

The only new razor i own in this price range is a merkur 34c. I like it. The shave is fine. But it's far from my favorite.

In that price range, I would go for one of the Fatips or an EJ89 series (which can go for as little as $30 or Amazon).

I have an El Jefe that is amazing. I already had a handle so all I had to do was buy the head. One of the first razors I got a one pass BBS out of. I could never get the same out of the Hawk.

The razors I’ve used in this range are the following. Merkur 34c is an outstanding sturdy razor and is relatively mild. Same thing can be said for the Edwin Jagger 89. RazoRock produces a ton of razors in this price range. From my experience, the RazoRock German 37 Slant gives a huge bang for the buck.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
The $35 and under range may be the sweet spot for razors if you ask me. You can get some of the best shavers out there in that zone. Sure you can spend a lit more but I would argue that the relative increase in cost isn't worth the marginal increase you get in shave quality. As always YMMV but that's my two cents anyway.

The $35 and under range may be the sweet spot for razors if you ask me. You can get some of the best shavers out there in that zone. Sure you can spend a lit more but I would argue that the relative increase in cost isn't worth the marginal increase you get in shave quality. As always YMMV but that's my two cents anyway.

It seems to be a good 2 cents. Tomorrow, I'll start one last thread with $35-$60.

This is a great idea for a thread. Assuming by "outstanding" you mean shave quality (as opposed to build quality), these are my favorite shaving (new) razors in your price window:
  • Fatip Testina Gentile
  • RazoRock DE 1 (also available with other branding such as the Baili 171; Maggard V3M)
  • RazoRock German 37 Slant
  • Parker Semi-Slant
  • Parker 24C/26C, aka Maggard V2 Open Comb
Spending more can certainly buy you higher end materials and finer build quality, but for shave quality I'd be more than happy with any of these razors on the desert island.

I definitely agree. In fact, I'd go so far as to argue that there is actually little if any correlation between price and shave quality. Aesthetics/build quality, yes; shave quality, no. I dropped a healthy three figure sum on a well known CNC stainless razor (brand to remain nameless to avoid flaming) that was an absolute thing of beauty in terms of craftsmanship, but the shave turned out to be (for me) awful. On the other hand, I have a ReMei and a Dorco PL-603, which each cost around $5 shipped, that are both quite nice shavers.

I'd like to argue for a razor below your price range. I tend to accumulate cheap (but good) DE razors. Late last year, I gave all my DE shavers and blades to relatives in Venezuela, where very little is available. Shaved with Harry's, got bored. (No offense intended to Harry's; if you want cartridges, I think they're the best.) Then I bought the Feather Popular DE Razor. It's just as good as any of the others I've had, and it cost me 13 bucks new on the Bay. That and 50 Feather blades cost me less than I'd pay Harry's for a year of shaves. If you can get past the plastic handle (a big ask for many), it's a mild, forgiving shave. Almost impossible to beat on the price/value spectrum too. But, if you want to stay within 20-35, any Edwin Jagger DE89 or Merkur you can find will fit the bill, as will West Coast Shaving's "midnight" line. I've shaved with all. It's kind of hard to make a bad choice among these four options, and if you don't like the shave all would re-sell for at least half their value.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
In this category, I'd say it's the easiest to find a great razor in.
Fatip, Schone, EJ, Merkur and Parker all have various models that fall into this range - and I've probably forgotten some as well, but these are all established razor companies with time tested designs you can trust. The Fatip and Schone are the particular value play as they are closer to the $20 end of the spectrum and solid brass throughout.

Top Bottom