What's new

Best MUSK fragrances

Here's another one of those blogs where someone lists and discusses their favorite musk fragrances. I have of course copied and pasted the text here as well. Personally, I haven't tried most of these so while I thought I had a handle on musk this article makes me think otherwise. However, the ones I have tried I agree completely with very little exception. My favorite musk is MKK without a doubt but there are many others that are fantastic and fun.

"Like vanilla note, musk is in just about everything. Of course we all know that there's a world of difference between dirty animalic musk to generic laundry musk, with the lovely clean sweet musk/skin musk somewhere in the middle. In this list I focused on perfumes that are truly about musk and not just supported by it. As usual, I'm cheating a little because this list holds more than a dozen of perfumes, but if you've been reading for a while you know that I have little self-restraint when it comes to musk. In no particular order (because I'd never be able to choose):

Serge Lutens-Muscs Kublai Khan and Clair de Musc. These are supposedly from the two opposites of the musk spectrum. MKK has an armpit reputation while Clair de Musc is creamy and sweet. Personally, I find MKK to be warm, sweet, and cuddly-- nothing beastly. And Claire de Musc is far more elegant and sophisticated than it seems at first sniff.

Parfum d'Empire- Musc Tonkin. A new addition to my wardrobe, this one is, indeed, dirty. A true love-or-hate perfume.

Parfumerie Generale- Musc Maori. An irresistible mix of chocolate and skin.

Frederic Malle- Musc Ravageur. Maurice Roucel's creation is an oriental perfume, a fourth generation Shalimar. It takes time and practice to find the musk under the amber and powder, but after years of wearing Musc Ravageur I guarantee it's there.

DSH Perfumes- Musk Eau Natural. This was a limited edition and is long gone. I cherish every drop but take solace in the fact that Dawn Spencer Hurwitz has some other incredible musks in her repertoire. If you haven't tried them I urge you to pursue.

CB I Hate Perfume- CB Musk (Reinvention Series). Generally regarded as The Other Beast (the first is MKK), CB Musk is fruity and incredibly rich. It's meant to be worn in minute amounts and also layered with other scents-- try it with CB Revelation for an erotic fig experience.

Madini Oils- Musk Pierre and Musk Gazelle. The first is sweet and almost edible, the second is an intense animalic musk; both are essential for musk addicts.

Strange Invisible Perfumes- Musc Botanique. This one has it all and smells ultra luxurious. The EDP is probably easier to wear, but the extrait is the true prize.

Mona di Orio- Les Nombres d'Or Musc. Sweet and powdery skin, though far less innocent than it sounds. Speaking of Mona, her discontinued Carnation is another wonderful musky skin scent; incredibly complex and evocative. Sell your soul for a sample if you can.

Kiehl's Original Musk. A cheap thrill that's one of the best and most consistent on the market. Incredibly soft and wearable.

Annick Goutal- Musc Nomade. MKK's civilized cousin.

Le Labo- Musc 25. Exclusive to Los Angeles, this one is so beautiful and sexy one cannot even get mad at Le Labo for their annoying ways.

Honorable Mention:
Miller Harris- L'Air de Rien (wood, clean hair and skin; a winter must-have), Ramon Monegal Cherry Musk (light, fruity, graceful), Serge Lutens Bois et Musc (the musk version of the Bois series), Alyssa Ashley Musk (it's relatively easy to find older bottles from when it was made by/for Houbigant; still a cheap thrill) , Frederic Malle- Dans tes Bras (technically it's about cashmeran wood and who knows what else, but this is as musky as it gets), Ava Luxe- Nude Musk (the sweetest skin musk I know, utterly delightful)."

I was not born with it so I had to buy it, Sex Appeal by Jovan. When I feeling rich I like Musc Ravageur by Malle.

I am new to fragrance and I am not sure if this is a traditional musk scent but my current favorite fragrance is Bruno Acampora Musc. Its spicy and woody and just smells good.

I am new to fragrance and I am not sure if this is a traditional musk scent but my current favorite fragrance is Bruno Acampora Musc. Its spicy and woody and just smells good.

I haven't tried BA's Musc but I've heard GREAT things about it and it's on my To Try list.

Of what's on the list I've tried MKK, Musc Ravageur and Kiehls and agree with what was said. I'll have to try some of the others listed, but another good musk that I've tried is Sonoma Scent Studio Sienna Musk - nice spicy woods with a musk background.

Of what's on the list I've tried MKK, Musc Ravageur and Kiehls and agree with what was said. I'll have to try some of the others listed, but another good musk that I've tried is Sonoma Scent Studio Sienna Musk - nice spicy woods with a musk background.

Yes! I agree. Sienna Musk is very good!

I was not born with it so I had to buy it, Sex Appeal by Jovan. When I feeling rich I like Musc Ravageur by Malle.

Yeah I haven't tried a whole lot of muscs, I have MKK, which I really like, and jovan musk, I always figured the jovan didn't smell anything like musk at all but I could be wrong? what do you guys think about jovan?

I have a sample of Musc Ravageur, but don't wear it often because I'm afraid that when the sample runs out, I'll feel compelled to purchase the bottle! It's absolutely worth a try. Sweet and spicy, and very smooth and refined, yet somehow deep, and substantial at the same time.

I have a sample of Musc Ravageur, but don't wear it often because I'm afraid that when the sample runs out, I'll feel compelled to purchase the bottle! It's absolutely worth a try. Sweet and spicy, and very smooth and refined, yet somehow deep, and substantial at the same time.

That's how I feel about ALL of my fragrances so instead of using them I just another bottle of something I don't already have. Heaven forbids me to run out of anything!

Top Bottom