What's new

Best Modern SE Razor?

Hopefully somewhere down the road I'll get one of the suggested razors. After making this post I bought a Schick Injector so I could try a SE without spending a lot of money. Have to say that I really like the Injector (L model) and it definitely has a spot in my razor rotation.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hopefully somewhere down the road I'll get one of the suggested razors. After making this post I bought a Schick Injector so I could try a SE without spending a lot of money. Have to say that I really like the Injector (L model) and it definitely has a spot in my razor rotation.

In the meantime, and to complement your Schick Type L, the GEM razors, while not modern, are readily available, reasonably priced and offer great shaves. I especially like the Featherweight Deluxe. :)

YMMV :)

My hybrid and core sit unloved in the drawer, even my son won't try them. The only razor I'm using now is the Leaf, choose your DE blade and enjoy...

I've had the vector for a week or so and am experiencing a lot of tugging with it - does anyone have any advice as to angle, etc? I also have a Paradigm AC SE which I love, and have had Colonial General (both versions) and SE1. Thanks and any advice appreciated.
I experienced the same sensation when I got mine. A few things that helped were to stretch my skin tighter than I might using a DE, almost similar to a straight razor shave. Use more pressure than a heavier razor, but a sort of pulling pressure down your face, not pushing in to the skin per se. Finally, shorter strokes helped for me. Short, almost buffing strokes work well for me.

I experienced the same sensation when I got mine. A few things that helped were to stretch my skin tighter than I might using a DE, almost similar to a straight razor shave. Use more pressure than a heavier razor, but a sort of pulling pressure down your face, not pushing in to the skin per se. Finally, shorter strokes helped for me. Short, almost buffing strokes work well for me.

Thanks for this advice. Thanks to Shane, I used more pressure during my shave this morning and got a smooth, close shave in two passes. Still dialing it in, since I feel now that I might have used a little too much pressure. But the tugging or skipping went away and I really enjoyed the shave. I will try the skin stretching and using the pulling pressure down my face rather than pushing in, as well as shorter strokes, and I suspect with those changes this will become one of my top 3 or 4 razors, along with Charcoal Goods and Paradigm. It was great to see what this razor along with the AC blade can do.

Guys, I have the Vector and Paradigm SE. How would the General fit as a third AC? Anyone keep the General around with the other two?

I have a few SE’s and nearly every single one delivers excellent shaves in both AC & GEM style blades. But, I’d like to throw one into the field that doesn’t get much talk and it’s a shame. For me, this razor delivers a similar, not identical shave to the Cobra razor that I believe it was designed to replace (just my opinion). And it’s the Enoch by Classic Shaving. A superb shaver that is mid-aggressive, well balanced and competitively priced. Good blade feel with very nice smoothness and not intimidating at all. The handle feels a little on the thin side but, offers good grip with a flared end for balance. It’s a 3 piece design that nearly mimics (some would argue identical to the Asylum RX which it definitely shows design cues of) the tongue & groove arrangement/design of the RX.

Like I stated previously, I own quite a few of the modern SE’s today and the Enoch shaves as good as any of them. I would not hesitate in recommending a new or seasoned shaver in trying the Enoch.....

View attachment 1104179

View attachment 1104178
I, too, am surprised to see so little said about the Enoch. The only negative thing I could say about it has to do with blade loading, but having had it for a while now, I have that down pat. Of the modern SE razors I have tried (Hawk V2 and V3, Supply injector and Mongoose), it is easily the one I reach for most often. The Mongoose is perhaps slightly more efficient, but it is quite heavy so the Enoch gets used more often. You mentioned that the handle is thin, and it is, but I find that the overall feel and balance of the razor is excellent.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Guys, I have the Vector and Paradigm SE. How would the General fit as a third AC? Anyone keep the General around with the other two?

I have the General, the RazoRock Hawk V3-OC & -A, the Hawk V2, ATT SE1 and the Occam's Razor. Will be getting a Blackland Vector for Father's Day. :)

The General, RR Hawk V3-OC and the ATT SE1 are my best AC safety razors. I expect the Vector will be right up there.

More detailed comments here:

Includes comments on AC, GEM and Injector razors in my Den.

Paradigm Titanium SE - hands down the best razor I own (but I only have 9 so not a massive comparison)

have been using the feather pro blades and it’s great

just tried it with a Feather super pro and it makes it much more efficient (more blade feel though)

View attachment 1102263
Gorgeous razor. Currently unobtainium, however.

By the way, try it with a Schick Proline if you want to make the experience even better. To me, the Proline blows all the Feather blades out of the water. It's not close.

B8D80BA9-70B6-4B82-AA55-CF41D921114D.jpeg

Vector

Oneblade Genesis V2 for me. I used the Hybrid for about a year before buying a slightly used Genesis several months ago, expecting that it would shave the same... To make a long story short, after just one shave with the Genesis, the Hybrid has been shelved ever since - the Genesis is *much* better.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
You guys and your long blades. Sheesh. :001_rolle

Full disclosure: I have the ATT SE1 & SE2, RR Hawk V3SB and V3OC. But, as Calvin Trillin said, "I do not yearn for them." I'm an old Gem guy, I guess -- but I like playing with all of them.

I have been tremendously impressed with the Blackland Sabre. Early days, though. I've still got the L2 plate to try, but I'm getting better shaves more consistently with the Sabre L1 than I've gotten from most of my Gem and ASR razors.

O.H.

I don’t have a clear cut absolute favorite, but of the many AC razors I have and very much enjoy 😉 using would include in no particular order the Paradigm SE, ATT SE1, Vector, Enoch, and King Cobra. All excellent performers and each with distinct differences. As for Gem bladed razors include the ATT G1, Sabre with aggressive plate, and Oneblade Genesis with a modified Gem blade. With injectors, it’s the Personna floating head and Schick M adjustable.

Top Bottom