What's new

Best Modern SE Razor?

I will echo a couple of opinions above. Blackland Sabre and Colonial General V2
I will echo your echo. Whilst I always got great shaves with my v2 General, the shaves from my Sabre L2 were neither close, nor comfortable & I packed it away.

However, I got bored with my DE razors during the current lock down & brought my Sabre L2 out again. I have now shaved for four days in a row with my Sabre & I am getting great shaves. It is enjoyable to use, being very smooth in use & also provides a very close (3 pass) shave.

The optimal shaving angle is quite narrow, but if I do stray, the shave just gets a bit "tuggy", no cuts.

My shaves with my Supply injector started off good, then gradually became very average. When I get bored with my Sabre, this will be the next razor to be brought back into use.

It's still the Vector for me. I did have to swap the handle. The polished one is gorgeous, but also slippery. It's too $$$$ of a razor to put it in a position where I might drop it. Honestly the same thing applies to the Sabre. For that one I went with a short and lighter handle to make it handle like the original GEM razors.

I will put in a vote for the One Blade Core. For $20 it is hard to go wrong. There is basically no learning curve and it is a good razor to have when you are in a hurry as it is pretty much foolproof. I use mine to clean up after a straight razor shave and to do the back of my neck unless I am going to use my Valet Auto Strop. They both use the same Feather blades!

It is also good for travel.

Yes I agree it’s an excellent shave. I sold my OneBlade Hybrid and purchased a Genesis since they are currently on sale. And yes it’s expensive and the blades cost far more than a DE blade. But for me the shave is so superior that it’s worth the cost. And when you actually do the math, I spend far more than that on Starbucks coffee lol.

So I dont get all the complaints about blade cost. Especially from people that have spent a lot of money on multiple nice brushes and razors, when truthfully you only need one of each. Even if blades are $.60/each I only shave 5 days a week on average and I get 2 good shave per blade(can get 3 but it’s not as good). So thats only $1.50/week or about $7 a mont. It’s a small price to pay for a very nice shave.

I have a Timeless Titanium and the OneBlade definitely gives me a much better shave. Closer with much less irritation. I’ve gone back on forth a number of time to be sure. I suppose folks that are bound up with “traditional razors” take issue with the oneblade design but for me it works far better.

I'll also vouch for the OneBlade, but only when they're running their 50% off sale! They've routinely been offering discounts, so can't justify full price. The Genesis give the closest shave, and actually requires a little attention. The Hybrid offers at least 90% of what the Genesis does, for half the the money. And the most recent Core is actually a decent shaver for $19.00. - I doubt the Core will last as long as the others, and it requires a bit more pressure to achieve a good shave, and yes, it doesn't have that nice smooth stainless feel running down you face, but still does a better job than many of my DEs.

I'll also suggest, if you want an inexpensive razor that lasts, look at a Schick Injector. At around $30-$35 an Adjustable is a bargain, the blades are easily obtained from difference sources, they last quite a few shaves, and it gives a great shave. Best part is the head is small, making it oh so easy to get into those tough spots, trim the ear lobes and nostrils.

I find that I can get about 4-5 double pass shaves out of a Feather SS blade.

I have tried to strop them in my Auto Strop but I can't tell any difference.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Thinking about adding a SE razor to my collection. Leaning towards a Oneblade Hybrid but was wondering what everyone's opinion is? Oneblade (which model?), Supply Company, Occam's single edged, Other?
I have the Oneblade Core and find it works well and it will give a decent 3 pass shave. You can add pressure to the core and it will not bite on a face shave. I have no other razors that will allow this and it is great on the chin area. I would recommend the One blade Core, I use Gem SS PTFE blades modified and they are superior for longevity. The FHS-10 is a good blade for a couple of shaves but has no longevity. I will buy the Hybrid if they have good sale in the future. I like Gem blades because I use a lot of Gem razors and have lots of blades.

I'll also vouch for the OneBlade, but only when they're running their 50% off sale! They've routinely been offering discounts, so can't justify full price. The Genesis give the closest shave, and actually requires a little attention. The Hybrid offers at least 90% of what the Genesis does, for half the the money. And the most recent Core is actually a decent shaver for $19.00. - I doubt the Core will last as long as the others, and it requires a bit more pressure to achieve a good shave, and yes, it doesn't have that nice smooth stainless feel running down you face, but still does a better job than many of my DEs.

I'll also suggest, if you want an inexpensive razor that lasts, look at a Schick Injector. At around $30-$35 an Adjustable is a bargain, the blades are easily obtained from difference sources, they last quite a few shaves, and it gives a great shave. Best part is the head is small, making it oh so easy to get into those tough spots, trim the ear lobes and nostrils.

I was looking at that Supply Co. injector razor, it seems to get good reviews. Do you think an older schick is just as good for less money? Just to try out?

David

I have the Oneblade Core and find it works well and it will give a decent 3 pass shave. You can add pressure to the core and it will not bite on a face shave. I have no other razors that will allow this and it is great on the chin area. I would recommend the One blade Core, I use Gem SS PTFE blades modified and they are superior for longevity. The FHS-10 is a good blade for a couple of shaves but has no longevity. I will buy the Hybrid if they have good sale in the future. I like Gem blades because I use a lot of Gem razors and have lots of blades.

I think the Hybrid, and of course the Genesis, shave differently than the Core. I can vouch that the Gensis feels different, not as mild maybe, to me at least. But of course that could be my imagination lol

I was looking at that Supply Co. injector razor, it seems to get good reviews. Do you think an older schick is just as good for less money? Just to try out?

David
Definitely worth trying an older Schick, as a start I would recommend a later model, either a type L, or a type M (adjustable). If you are in the US & prefer a new "Schick" the type O clone seems to get good reviews (they don't ship to the UK [emoji34]).

For me, I think I prefer the weight of the Supply, but the shave angle is not the same as with vintage injectors. It doesn't seem to end well if I "ride the cap" like with a vintage & it needs a steeper angle.

I have been using my Supply with the 3 dot plate & the shaves are comparable with my Blackland Sabre L2.Though the Supply takes less skill & concentration to wield successfully, I prefer the Sabre out of the two.

However, both the Supply & Sabre lag way behind my Stainless v1 General with a Proline blade, in terms of smoothness in use & closeness of shave. The General also requires the least skill of the three, with the weight if the head doing all the work for you. I've no idea why this was replaced by the v2 General, which has a lighter head & in my opinion a much worse handle.

Apologies for vearing off topic

David
Yes! The adjustable type M would be a good start to see where are in terms of agression. I think the sweet spot on the fixed bade razors may be the type I or J.

I think the Hybrid, and of course the Genesis, shave differently than the Core. I can vouch that the Gensis feels different, not as mild maybe, to me at least. But of course that could be my imagination lol
There are different versions of the core and they shave different and less efficient as the genesis. Later versions are less mild. And the balance is difference since the genesis steel head is heavier as the plastic polymere core.

One of the things I like about the latest version of the Core (Ver 3?) is that it holds the blade loosely. If you shake the razor, you can actually hear the blade rattling around a bit. That allows the blade to resonate a lot. It kind of sounds like a hollow ground straight razor and you can judge whether it is cutting or not (if it is cutting at all, it will adjust to the "correct" angle for you) solely by sound.

It's still the Vector for me. I did have to swap the handle. The polished one is gorgeous, but also slippery. It's too $$$$ of a razor to put it in a position where I might drop it. Honestly the same thing applies to the Sabre. For that one I went with a short and lighter handle to make it handle like the original GEM razors.
I hated the Sabre handle and gave it away. I use the RazoRock Bamboo handle. It works great on that razor.

OneBlade Genesis v2
OneBlade HYBRID
Colonoial General
Razorock Black Hawk v2

These are my top 4 SE razors all other SE i had ive been sold and stays with these 4 :)

I bought the Core v2 for $20 a couple of months ago. I loved the shave--the easiest, fastest BBS shave I've ever had. I quickly upgraded to the Genesis. The weight of the Core is a bit odd--the handle has a stainless steel core, but with the polymer head it requires using a little pressure. I think this is the main reason people feel like they're using pressure to get a close shave--you can't let the weight of the razor head do the work. In all honesty, the Hybrid is probably the best deal (they had it for $75 recently).

Finally got the General v2 close to where I want it on the polish. Took some sanding and a lot of polishing because there are tons of tooling marks on these heads when they get bead blasted. (316L is *hard* steel) Couple of smudges making it look less polished than it is, but I seriously love this razor & plan on keeping it.
0FCD6584-64EA-4C5E-A647-712015F81E30.jpeg

Top Bottom