What's new

Best Modern Open Comb

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
The question "Who makes the best modern open-comb razor" is much too general. There are infinite options. It depends on what you call "best" and what exactly do you mean by "best". For example, you can tell us what is for you "the best" vintage open-comb razor. And also the question why exactly are you looking only for a modern open-comb razor. For example for me, one of the best if not the best vintage open-comb razor is Gillette New SC. And for you?

I've used only a couple of modern OC razors such as - R41. Yaqi Mellon, Fatip OC and FOCS. The R41 is probably the most efficient of the bunch, but is not very smooth and comfortable. I can still get great shaves from it, but i'd much rather use something that glides on my skin rather than scratching it. The Yaqi is mild and also not very inefficient but it's the perfect affordable OC head for a newbie on the market. Both the Fatip OC and FOCS shave very similar, but the FOCS seems to me slightly more efficient and smoother.

Some people prefer not to shave with used razors. And for some vintage razors get too expensive compared to modern. I live in Europe and most offerings of vintage razors are from USA, which makes shipping costs ridiculous.

Oh yeah I find tons of inexpensive razors going for 10-30$ but the 30-40$ shipping makes the whole thing worthless. A week ago I found a brand new Schone razor going for only 10$ with 44$ shipping. I managed to get my hands on a MMOC for 10$ + 3$ shipping, but that doesn't happen very often.

Game changer .84 Jaws for me.

I had s FOCS and it was efficent and smooth but not close enough for me. So got a R41 that was more efficient and closer, but a bit rougher, so sold the FOCS.
Then got a GC JAWS and was so impressed with it. The Jaws is as efficient as the R41, but a touch closer and a country mile smoother. So looks like the R41 will be getting sold.

PAA DOC Ascension is by far the best open comb and one of the best razors in my Den. YMMV since I haven't used every razor, this includes the FOCS.

I nominate Timeless SS .95 Oc as the best modern open comb I've used. It checks the boxes for smooth and efficient shave. It also looks great. I have a Fatip Piccolo Oc. I've only used it once and wasn't impressed. After reading all the love for Fatip Lo Storto in this thread, I'm going to give my Piccolo another try. After Timeless, I'm giving honorable mentions to Blackland's Blackbird and Game Changer 0.84 Oc.

Top Bottom