What's new

Best Modern Open Comb

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Sorry, OP; asking for opinions about ‘best’ will simply devolve into ‘favorite’ without defining the term. How do you define ‘best’?
+1! I don’t think there is really a ‘best’ anything! What’s best for me may or may not work for you.
<snip>

+1 to @Hannah's Dad and @BigJ - "Best" is a relative term.

Price range is also very relevant - if your budget is $50, it does no good to recommend a $200 razor. ;)

For a budget of all budgets option the RR Old type is a very nice smooth comfortable razor.
Tamer than a Gillette Old and not as tame as a Tech.

1589033450992.png

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Who makes the best modern open comb razor? (In production now)

Recent posts - YMMV, it's all subjective, all about money, etc. - could too easily derail a really fun thread.

5-8-20.VitosRed.FOCS.ChubbyBest.480.JPG

These are facts. Fatip makes the best modern open comb razors. The Fatip Open Comb Slant pictured above is the best of them all.

The handle is the right size (not too skinny like the Piccolo), but that's just how I see handles, and a guy could put a Piccolo handle on the slant if he wanted to. The main thing is somehow Fatip managed to design and build a razor which is both very comfortable to shave with and remarkably efficient. I've been using it daily for a while. Every shave with the Fatip OC Slant has been stellar.

my-heart-and-i-agree.380.jpg

The FOCS is the first and only razor to have me thinking of selling all my other razors.

Thinking...not selling just yet.

It's that good.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Another vote for the Above The Tie razor.

View attachment 1097736
Agreed. I like my M2/R2/H2. I only break out the H2 when I have mountain man stubble. The H2 makes the Muhle R41 feel like an overly mild Merkur 15C by comparison. I can shave daily with the H2, but there is a lot of blade feel, so daily shaves require a smooth blade like an Astra SP, IMO.

I nominate the Fatip Grande for honorable mention - almost as good as ATT for a lot less money. It's all brass, but mine has a poor quality plating job.

I can only comment on the ones I have. I don't have many. I have a RazoRock Game Changer 0.84 and a Schone Open Comb. I also have a RazoRock Old Type which I find to be very mild, almost too mild. It's great for back to back shaves two or more days in a row. But for the past few years I've been shaving once every 3 or 4 days so the other two have been my go to razors along with a vintage Gillette New Deluxe on an Ikon Bulldog handle. Open comb. The only way to go.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Since we don't have a price range, I'll wing it. :)

Offering recommendations for razors that I own and have used that cost less than ~$100:

Fatip Lo Sorto Originale Slant.
Fatip Grande V2
Schöne
Karve Brass OC-B & OC-C
Ikon B1 OC
RazoRock GC .84-OC

There are others plus razors that cost more than the arbitrary ~$100 mark I used.

YMMV :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom